2017 roster/depth

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I taught high school for 30 years. Students can and do rationalize just about any decision regardless of how foolish it may seem to adults.

I have about 30 years in manufacturing management. Now I teach HS math. The gift (or curse) of rationalization is not limited to just students. Most people do what they want to do, "feel" like doing, or take the path of least resistance. then work backwards on the justification. I have noticed one thing about rationalization - it tends to fool just one person.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I have about 30 years in manufacturing management. Now I teach HS math. The gift (or curse) of rationalization is not limited to just students. Most people do what they want to do, "feel" like doing, or take the path of least resistance. then work backwards on the justification. I have noticed one thing about rationalization - it tends to fool just one person.
Yep, it is a disease that afflicts all of us at one time or another.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
As of now heres what I think we're looking at:
QB: Jordan, TM/LJ/JJ
BB: Mills, Benson/MLD(?)
AB: Lynch, Cottrell
AB: Searcy, Green
WR: Jeune, Philpott/Dolphus
WR: Stewart, Camp
LT: Jahaziel, Klock
LG: Braun, B. Morgan
C: Cooper, Marshall
RG: Bryan, Shamire
RT: Marshall, Frosh

DE: Freeman, Anree
DT: KCH, Adams
DT: Glanton, Branch
DE: Simmons, Woods
OLB: Swilling, Curry/Lewis
MLB: Mitchell, Cooksey
OLB: Vic, Curry/Lewis
NB: Lawrence
CB: Lance, Campbell
CB: Durham, Lamont
S: Griffin, Lawrence
S: Gray, Kagawa

Lots of experience which will hopefully lead to lots of redshirts for the freshmen unless they show out. I only see there potential for a couple true freshmen to really play at OL or LB. Im looking forward to watching the QB competition. Really would like to see one of the 2 freshmen step up, but Jordan would be very solid as well.

Last edited:

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
As of now heres what I think we're looking at:
QB: Jordan, TM/LJ/JJ
BB: Mills, Benson/MLD(?)
AB: Lynch, Cottrell
AB: Searcy, Green
WR: Jeune, Philpott/Dolphus
WR: Stewart, Camp
LT: Jahaziel, Klock
LG: Braun, B. Morgan
C: Cooper, Marshall
RG: Bryan, Shamire
RT: Marshall, Frosh

DE: Freeman, Anree
DT: KCH, Adams
DT: Glanton, Branch
DE: Simmons, Woods
OLB: Swilling, Curry/Lewis
MLB: Mitchell, Cooksey
OLB: Vic, Curry/Lewis
NB: Lawrence
CB: Lance, Campbell
CB: Durham, Lamont
S: Griffin, Lawrence
S: Gray, Kagawa

Lots of experience which will hopefully lead to lots of redshirts for the freshmen unless they show out. I only see there potential for a couple true freshmen to really play at OL or LB. Im looking forward to watching the QB competition. Really would like to see one of the 2 freshmen step up, but Jordan would be very solid as well.
Gets me fired up to see the name "Swilling" on our depth chart!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Next year's O...on paper....barring unexpected attrition....looks like the best all around O we have had under CPJ. The backs and WR groups are ridiculous. Could be the best overall Oline we have had thus far as well. The QB will have an amazing supporting cast.

I feel good about our secondary. I feel very worried about our front 7 on D. We need tremendous progress here and I'm not confident it happens in a year's time. I'm also not gonna annoint any true frosh to the 2 deep no matter what name is on the back of his jersey. The front 7 next year.....crossing my fingers bros.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Next year's O...on paper....barring unexpected attrition....looks like the best all around O we have had under CPJ. The backs and WR groups are ridiculous. Could be the best overall Oline we have had thus far as well. The QB will have an amazing supporting cast.

I'm cautious about this. I'm not sure I'd call the receivers "ridiculous," but they are solid. It will be interesting to see how much of their production was due to Justin's ability to throw the back shoulder pass...none of our other QB's were that good at that.

Regarding the O-line, it seems like every other year we hear it will be the best OLine and then it struggles. There are a couple guys up there that worry me a LOT, but they are young, so hopefully they improve.

Although I love that we're playing the game, having Tennessee so early is going to be TOUGH with a new QB. That game is going to feel like it's a Tennessee home game, as well when they pack out the new stadium. But if we get out of there with a win we get a couple games against Jax St. and UCF that should be winnable where whoever is playing QB can get more comfortable.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Neither receiver is of DT, or probably even Smelter caliber. As a group though? I think it will be our best.

I'm not anointing the Oline as the best. I'm saying it has that potential though. I see no glaring holes anywhere along the line.

QB is the most important position in our, in any, O. This is our biggest loss, duh...and where our biggest question marks arise. MJ looks capable but we haven't seen results of opposing DCs scheming against his particular strengths and weaknesses yet. He will have tools to work with around him though. I'm very confident in that barring nasty unexpected attrition.

The D? Whoa Nelly.....buckle up folks it could be a bumpy ride again.....CTR vitriol likely to be off the charts regardless of the job he does. Hope I'm wrong here.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
JT will be missed. Regardless of how well the next guy does. He is just a special player. Like little Joe.....I'm just hoping his replacement can fill in the way the Goose did.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer

I feel good about our secondary. I feel very worried about our front 7 on D. We need tremendous progress here and I'm not confident it happens in a year's time. I'm also not gonna annoint any true frosh to the 2 deep no matter what name is on the back of his jersey. The front 7 next year.....crossing my fingers bros.
yeah idk the 2009 orange bowl team had Nesbitt DT Dwyer Allen and Roddy and melton who was always a terrific blocker to go along with a good o-line with Claytor Bedford and Uzzi d was just way worse than it is now (scary to say)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Although I love that we're playing the game, having Tennessee so early is going to be TOUGH with a new QB. That game is going to feel like it's a Tennessee home game, as well when they pack out the new stadium. But if we get out of there with a win we get a couple games against Jax St. and UCF that should be winnable where whoever is playing QB can get more comfortable.

Tennessee will be breaking in a new QB as well, and the CFA Kickoff Game is included in the season ticket package, so we should be well represented in the stadium. I like our chances in that game.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Hoping that Jordan follows up on Thomas like Godsey did for Hamilton. I felt Godsey was going to be a huge drop off but was proven wrong. I think we will have fewer big plays with Jordan but maybe fewer big losses as well since Jordan runs more like Nesbitt. Also it will be interesting to see if Jordan Woods can be a difference maker. We need a "Derrick Morgan" type (Jordan is almost identical in size) to build the defense around.