2017 roster/depth

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I love Lance for his physicality, tackling ability, and nose for the football, but let's not pretend here either, length and top end speed is a limiting issue. Some of the guys he is covering are taller and faster. That is a lot to make up for.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Just curious because a more telling stat is the percentage of opportunities he's successful.

I love Lance for his physicality, tackling ability, and nose for the football, but let's not pretend here either, length and top end speed is a limiting issue. Some of the guys he is covering are taller and faster. That is a lot to make up for.

I agree with both of you, which is why I find his leading in passes defended amazing.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps this is the article referenced re: Lance Austin's targets from ESPN's David Hale. The article is about top corners in the ACC.

Plenty of competition for ACC's top cornerback honors

Includes numbers on yards/target, yards/completion, completion %, etc. Also caveats that pass rush plays a role - "North Carolina and Georgia Tech, on the other hand, were worst in the league at getting pressure"

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps this is the article referenced re: Lance Austin's targets from ESPN's David Hale. The article is about top corners in the ACC.

Plenty of competition for ACC's top cornerback honors

Includes numbers on yards/target, yards/completion, completion %, etc. Also caveats that pass rush plays a role - "North Carolina and Georgia Tech, on the other hand, were worst in the league at getting pressure"

That chart tells you what we all saw a LOT this year: Lance was picked quite a bit throughout the year (targeted 85 times, 56% completion on passes thrown his way). I think he played a heck of a lot better towards the end of the season though. Probably one the better CBs in the league the last 3 games. That probably coincides with improvement of rushing the passer.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
That chart tells you what we all saw a LOT this year: Lance was picked quite a bit throughout the year (targeted 85 times, 56% completion on passes thrown his way). I think he played a heck of a lot better towards the end of the season though. Probably one the better CBs in the league the last 3 games. That probably coincides with improvement of rushing the passer.

Picked on yes but the numbers show either 2 things:
1) either the cushion was so massive that he gave up a lot up a lot of freebies or 2) he handled being picked on VERY WELL. Enough to probably be considered as an preseason All-ACC candidate

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Picked on yes but the numbers show either 2 things:
1) either the cushion was so massive that he gave up a lot up a lot of freebies or 2) he handled being picked on VERY WELL. Enough to probably be considered as an preseason All-ACC candidate

IMO, your #2 occured later in the season. Watch the tape early in the season...he was getting beat over the top a LOT. Maybe he was expecting safety coverage behind him, but he did not look good in the process. I can't remember if it was the UNC or Clemson game, but he was getting picked on so much we pulled him for Lammont Simmons.

As I mentioned, the last 3 games he looked great. In fact, both Austins looked pretty good the last 3 games.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think experience on the field started to take hold and show. I think some OCs thought they saw a weakness and tried to exploit it. I think Austin showed there was more strength there than the OCs realized and he made em pay some. The Austins ain't perfect but have become good veteran leaders and play makers for us.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
He's 5'9 of course teams are gonna try and pick on him. And out of 85 targets, giving up just 1 TD is pretty impressive. I still can't figure out how so many of y'all are against Lance. He's short and doesn't have top end speed but he does a damn good job out there.

Because their Tech fans. I have come to realize that some Tech fans are going to find something against whatever is on the football field; whether its we need a different qb, ab, bb, c (who was just voted all- conference by the coaches, btw), cb, lb, heck even the coaches. I say just appreciate what we have and trust the people that are in place to make decisions to do just that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's 5'9 of course teams are gonna try and pick on him. And out of 85 targets, giving up just 1 TD is pretty impressive. I still can't figure out how so many of y'all are against Lance. He's short and doesn't have top end speed but he does a damn good job out there.

I don't think anyone is against Lance. Stating the obvious that teams were picking on him is not the same as saying we don't like Lance. Look at the film, and look how many more times Lance was targeted versus the next guy...it's pretty apparent opposing coaches game planned to go after him.

I think he was exposed some in the beginning of the year, and it made him a better player towards the end of the year. He was VERY good the last 3 games. There's nothing personal about pointing out what is going on in games. The critique of Lance is about his play, not him as a person. If you want to know the difference, just look at the vitriol posters had for Vad. That was personal for some reason.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't think anyone is against Lance. Stating the obvious that teams were picking on him is not the same as saying we don't like Lance. Look at the film, and look how many more times Lance was targeted versus the next guy...it's pretty apparent opposing coaches game planned to go after him.

I think he was exposed some in the beginning of the year, and it made him a better player towards the end of the year. He was VERY good the last 3 games. There's nothing personal about pointing out what is going on in games. The critique of Lance is about his play, not him as a person. If you want to know the difference, just look at the vitriol posters had for Vad. That was personal for some reason.
The UNC game is the only game I remember thinking Lance didn't play well in. I thought Lance and Step both played pretty damn good all year. The middle of the field is where we continuously got exploited all year long.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We also have to remember that Lance is a boundary CB (I think) so he will naturally draw the team best WR. Best WR = more throws.
Field corner but yea usually the best WR is there. Chris Milton routinely had the WR1 while DJ had the WR2. Milton was also regularly unappreciated by fans. He had his weaknesses (knocking down the deep ball) but was vicious at stopping the slant in the open field.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO, your #2 occured later in the season. Watch the tape early in the season...he was getting beat over the top a LOT. Maybe he was expecting safety coverage behind him, but he did not look good in the process. I can't remember if it was the UNC or Clemson game, but he was getting picked on so much we pulled him for Lammont Simmons.

As I mentioned, the last 3 games he looked great. In fact, both Austins looked pretty good the last 3 games.
UNC.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
In CPJs post practice interview today, he said Lucas and Jay Jones both looked really good in their scrimmage this Saturday. Both led 70 yard drives and "made some good plays". Its going to be really interesting watching the QB competition this spring and also see if any of them move to other positions because of the depth at QB.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In CPJs post practice interview today, he said Lucas and Jay Jones both looked really good in their scrimmage this Saturday. Both led 70 yard drives and "made some good plays". Its going to be really interesting watching the QB competition this spring and also see if any of them move to other positions because of the depth at QB.
It is always an exciting time when you KNOW you will be replacing your starting QB. It should be fun to watch the competition develop.