Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dorian Walker is following coaches from Cincinnati
Trent Sellers is following multiple juco coaches
Christian Philpott is following multiple Buffalo coaches
Harland Howell is following coaches from all over
Jalen Johnson is following Troy coaches
Anree Saint Amour is following a coach from Tennessee State

Remember, players have to follow coaches during their recruitment in HS for them to send and receive private messages. Could just be the remnants of when they were being recruited. The key is WHEN did they start following those coaches. Obviously if they've following those coaches for a while, it's just from their HS days. However, if they just started following them...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Looking at people Marcus Marshall has started following on twitter, you will see a lot of coaches from James Madison and Eastern Carolina... I have no inside info nor do I know if it is normal for football players to follow coaches as different schools after they have matriculated into a program, but I think it might imply fire from the smoke...

https://twitter.com/mdmarshall34/following?lang=en

Ok why would MM transfer to schools like that? The kid is a damn stud he could have his choice of P5 conf schools to transfer to, they would be lined up for him

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Thats quite disturbing

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm sorry but this sounds absolutely ridiculous...so you read a text message from someone else's phone that MM is leaving but could not read the rest because the phone "dimmed out" and you didn't want to ask the player (which obviously seems like you are pretty close to him to snoop around his phone) to unlock his phone or even talk about it after out of respect.........I reeeeeally hope you aren't lying because this sounds dumb af.

Wow, you are trying way too hard... Wasn't a players phone, BTW and I wasn't snooping. (Maybe I am being thin skinned because you are coming across as a *****)

A parent showed me the text from his son. Apparently I foolishly posted something that would confirm comments made by others.

Why would I or someone else lie about something like that?

Last edited:

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember, players have to follow coaches during their recruitment in HS for them to send and receive private messages. Could just be the remnants of when they were being recruited. The key is WHEN did they start following those coaches. Obviously if they've following those coaches for a while, it's just from their HS days. However, if they just started following them...
I didn't scroll too far on their follower list. Most of them were high up.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Wow, you are trying way too hard... Wasn't a players phone, BTW and I wasn't snooping. (Maybe I am being thin skinned because you are coming across as a *****)

A parent showed me the text from his son. Apparently I foolishly posted something that would confirm comments made by others.

Why would I or someone else lie about something like that?

Thank you for the clarification

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Do y'all think Lands-Davis gets moved back to B-Back? I see him being more useful there than at WR.
Not a bad option. I really like MLD. The move to WR was just dumb. He seems to just keep getting moved around ala Charles Perkins. Perk was a huge player for us at AB in 2014 and I see MLD as kind of a similar type of player.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not a bad option. I really like MLD. The move to WR was just dumb. He seems to just keep getting moved around ala Charles Perkins. Perk was a huge player for us at AB in 2014 and I see MLD as kind of a similar type of player.

He was our first receiver off the bench for most of the early part of the season until Camp was ready to play.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer

None of these guys are bringing much to the party. If they think they can transfer somewhere and get more playing time, they should do that. That would free up 5 more scholarships that might gain us better players.

Just being real!

Go Jackets!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
None of these guys are bringing much to the party. If they think they can transfer somewhere and get more playing time, they should do that. That would free up 5 more scholarships that might gain us better players.

Just being real!

Go Jackets!
This is stupid. These guys are young and all have something they can bring to the table. Anree and Philpott will be huge players for us down the road for sure. Possibly some of these others as well.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Just being real!

Go Jackets!

What the? Saint-Amour will be our best dlineman this coming year probably. Each of the others has an important place on the depth chart. We can't be giving up experienced depth and just say, "Uh well, we'll just fill them scholarships with better players, blah, blah ..."

Have you seen our recruiting prowess? Keeping and developing our own guys is paramount.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with @kg01 . Anree, Simmons, and Freeman were all stepping up their games at the end of the year pushing each other to be better. I would not be surprised to Anree play a much bigger role next year.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I will not divulge the player's name nor the association...

Supposedly to the state of NC based off of the conversation after seeing a text message, but I was busy rereading that MM was leaving a the freshman QB too when the phone dimmed out... I did not ask the person to unlock their phone so that I could ogle the text message for verification.
My best guess would be TaQoun...

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
TaQuon is a Sophomore. Either Jay Jones or Lucas Johnson. Both have high ceilings IMO. I'd guess LJ because of the distance to home.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
When you bring in 2 at the same position in the same class, and maybe in practice one of them sees that the other is going to be the guy, you can't blame them for leaving. Not saying that is the case here, but it's common. All of these kids were the very best players on their teams and likely for many the best in their area. They've had people telling them since they were 12 that they were the man. When they get here and are surrounded by 84 other guys that were the man in their hometowns also, sometimes that's a hard adjustment.

Could also be homesickness, grades, not clicking with the team, a perceived miscommunication of expectations... really it's hard to pinpoint just what the situation is with each kid.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Could also be homesickness, grades, not clicking with the team, a perceived miscommunication of expectations... really it's hard to pinpoint just what the situation is with each kid.
Back when I was in the middle of my teaching career, I found myself with a new student. He was a transfer from Ithaca College. Now, my school was and is pretty good, but Ithaca is a better school on every measurable and the kid had done well there. I asked about that and the following dialog ensued:

Me: Why'd you decide to transfer?

Him: I hated Ithaca.

Me: But it's a nice school (it is; I had been there before), well regarded, and you were doing well there. Why didn't you like it?

Him: I liked the college. I hated Ithaca.

Me: You left a good school where you were doing well because you hated the town it was in?

Him: Uh-huh.

Me: <Astounded look> Well, ok. Let's get you registered.

I shared this story with our recruiters and was gratified to hear later that they were referring to the "Ithaca Effect" when a student they had worked hard to recruit and retain left us for no good reason that anyone - including the kid - could come up with.

You can see this in every field of human endeavor, without exception.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I taught high school for 30 years. Students can and do rationalize just about any decision regardless of how foolish it may seem to adults. It is the way things are and there is no point in getting upset over players deciding to transfer. Use the available scholarship wisely in this class. Preferably for a defensive tackle.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck

Just being real!

Go Jackets!
Crap, does this mean Will is trans to Tenn or GSU... LOL