Zach Pyron is a tough dude!

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Are you able to compare the first half and second half stats? Just from watching the game in the stands, it seemed to me that the run game was horrible the entire game, but that the passing game was good during the first half, and dropped off greatly during the second half. Just casual observation, it looked like we ran the standard offense until after ND scored in the second half to go up 2 scores. (Maybe until they scored the FG, but I can't remember). It seemed during the game that the passing stats were very close to 100% in the first half, then when we tried to go pass-happy the percentage and effectiveness dropped significantly.
Yep. Strategies of offense and defense change during the game and is why game stats, which are useful, do not tell the whole story and can be misleading.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Our red zone performance was way down as well. We were low on explosive plays, and we weren't grinding it out either. So, only 13 points.
Missing on two very makeable field goals will do that. One was from the 22 so technically just outside the red zone, but the point still stands.

Overall yardage was surprisingly close given the final score.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Missing on two very makeable field goals will do that. One was from the 22 so technically just outside the red zone, but the point still stands.

Overall yardage was surprisingly close given the final score.
I consider that the O performed well enough to account for 20 points. ND’s did so for 24 points. I wasn’t overly impressed by their O. Their D was another story.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I consider that the O performed well enough to account for 20 points. ND’s did so for 24 points. I wasn’t overly impressed by their O. Their D was another story.
That's how I see it. Maybe you give ND 3-7 more since they probably would have had another drive if we hadn't thrown the pick-6. This wasn't the complete beatdown the score implies.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
That's how I see it. Maybe you give ND 3-7 more since they probably would have had another drive if we hadn't thrown the pick-6. This wasn't the complete beatdown the score implies.
I also would have liked to know what would have been different had those 2 fake punts been actual punts or stopped them.

Just to reinforce here. Special Teams and a moderate regression in tackling skills were the difference in this game. It was a winnable game. (Not to confuse the binary thinkers I am not saying we would have won it.)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You can’t just draw up plays in the dirt and tell guys to do this and do that. You have to practice it extensively or you’ll have a ton of penalties, busted plays and turnovers.
That's why I said it is probably a little late. And it probably is.

Oth, the plays themselves are just about the simplest known to mankind. Direct snap to QB, he reads the blocks - or lack of same - and either runs for the crease or throws. Helps if you have a BB disguised as a QB like Bryson Daily, of course. He's another Nesbitt.