Zach Pyron is a tough dude!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I want to see Zach play when our running game is working. Other than Pyron's rushes gaining 45 yards, our other ball carriers got only 19 yards for a total of 64 yards total.
So would I.

What I would have liked even better is if Buster/Weinke had decided to use some of the Army QB power plays. Zac is so the QB you could use those with. True, Tech doesn't have a real FB - I suppose Maddox was still out - but we could have used one of the TEs or a reserve OL instead. But … it is probably a bit late to start with that. Too bad.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We must improve the run game but may not have the personnel without HK.
Bingo. King makes the run game more dangerous because of his ability to slip through a crease and his speed. That means that on options and draws the D is in a heap of trouble if they come down on the runners. It is very hard to predict what will happen when things get jiggy out there and King is on the field. I think everyone saw how valuable he is on Saturday.

I think Zac did well, however. Give him a run game that is working and he could be a very dangerous young man. Tech may see how dangerous this week.

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t think those stats answer the causality question. If we’re passing more only when we have already fallen behind, but aren’t getting enough out of it to pull off the comeback, that’s very different from “what could we do if we emphasized it more all game.” We certainly wouldnt have had a better chance against Cuse, say, if we hadn’t started throwing more.

Why can’t our passing game be good enough to be option 1, and then we pound the run after teams have to adjust to the pass?

I don’t see anything in the metrics on our passing to suggest it could not be a good first option.

I see a lot that says it isn’t, and that our coaches don’t want it to be, but that it couldn’t?

I’m aware of that “run more to win” causality issue. That’s why I focused more on a minimal amount of rushing yardage. We could have passed 40 times against Georgia State because our run game worked well enough for them to respect it.

I don’t see it when I watch our pass game.

I could look at some other numbers to see if we could do it. It obviously worked for Air Raid teams. It doesn’t mean it can’t work for us. It just hasn’t for the past two years

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Is Blackburn hurt? I expected to see him playing more. I would like to see Avery Boyd targeted more in the passing game. Both are big physical guys.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
I’m aware of that “run more to win” causality issue. That’s why I focused more on a minimal amount of rushing yardage. We could have passed 40 times against Georgia State because our run game worked well enough for them to respect it.

I don’t see it when I watch our pass game.

I could look at some other numbers to see if we could do it. It obviously worked for Air Raid teams. It doesn’t mean it can’t work for us. It just hasn’t for the past two years

I think we’d need to have a lot more of the screens and other short routes to keep defenses honest and keep variety in there. In the pass-heavy games playing from behind we are not only throwing more, were throwing differently, AFAICT.

I do think we’re confusingly bad at slants.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Is Blackburn hurt? I expected to see him playing more. I would like to see Avery Boyd targeted more in the passing game. Both are big physical guys.
I always wonder why people keep looking for Blackburn to be impactful. He has has several major injuries. In his 4th year now and he has 1 reception. Very sad that injuries seemed to have derailed a very talented young man.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I always wonder why people keep looking for Blackburn to be impactful. He has has several major injuries. In his 4th year now and he has 1 reception. Very sad that injuries seemed to have derailed a very talented young man.
He had 5x as many last year. We might be extrapolating a bit too much.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
RE: Blackburn

I’m one of those people. IMO, it’s a combo of him being hyped HARD coming into Tech, paired with his measurables and athleticism. I think some, including myself, thought he was the second coming of Calvin. Unfortunately, I don’t think he’s had the opportunity to develop into that because of his injury setbacks.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
RE: Blackburn

I’m one of those people. IMO, it’s a combo of him being hyped HARD coming into Tech, paired with his measurables and athleticism. I think some, including myself, thought he was the second coming of Calvin. Unfortunately, I don’t think he’s had the opportunity to develop into that because of his injury setbacks.
So is he injured again?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
So is he injured again?
It has been reported that King has special chemistry with Chase Lane developed when both were at A&M so Chase plays when King plays. Pyron has special chemistry with Leo developed from working together on the 2nd team. I have no idea why Leo didn't play against ND with Zach as QB. But I still have hopes of seeing Leo having a good game with Pyron Saturday against VT.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I guess all fans boards are essentially the same. Win a game and you are in the playoffs, lose and fire the coach and disband the sport. LOL We lost to a better team. We are far better than we were 3 years ago. We're getting better. Our coach and staff are excellent. Two things cost us the game, and Key is addressing both as I type. Special teams, and poor tackling. Maybe Key is a little too commited to the run. We need to develop a better passing game, short and intermediate. But what do I know, I'm only another idiot on a fan sport board. LOL. Go Falcons!
Yes, there are definitely issues, but you’re missing the main ones. We got dominated in the trenches.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes. That late pick-6 made the outcome seem worse. W/o that, it’s 24-14 at the end, and we’d botched two makeable FG’s. Suppose we make 1 of 2 FG’s, the score is now 24-17. That’s about how it felt to me.

ND absolutely controlled the game and we couldn’t ever seem to generate momentum from one possession to the next, mostly due to our own mistakes, but the game was not a blowout.
You can’t look at the score in the vacuum like that. With a tighter score, ND probably changes their strategy. They played wildly conservative on offense because it was working and it was low risk.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So would I.

What I would have liked even better is if Buster/Weinke had decided to use some of the Army QB power plays. Zac is so the QB you could use those with. True, Tech doesn't have a real FB - I suppose Maddox was still out - but we could have used one of the TEs or a reserve OL instead. But … it is probably a bit late to start with that. Too bad.
You can’t just draw up plays in the dirt and tell guys to do this and do that. You have to practice it extensively or you’ll have a ton of penalties, busted plays and turnovers.

slugboy

Staff member
You can’t look at the score in the vacuum like that. With a tighter score, ND probably changes their strategy. They played wildly conservative on offense because it was working and it was low risk.
They did take a field goal and also a punt, which aren't conservative. I think that was their offense, and those were the reads that worked.

You can’t just draw up plays in the dirt and tell guys to do this and do that. You have to practice it extensively or you’ll have a ton of penalties, busted plays and turnovers.

I think we do have a lot of H-back plays with multiple tight ends, and Jumbo sets, but we're injured there. Playing Harpring and Harrison Moore is going deep into the depth chart. We've been injured at TE all year, and it keeps getting worse. I think parts of the playbook are taped shut because we don't have the roster right now.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
They did take a field goal and also a punt, which aren't conservative. I think that was their offense, and those were the reads that worked.

I think we do have a lot of H-back plays with multiple tight ends, and Jumbo sets, but we're injured there. Playing Harpring and Harrison Moore is going deep into the depth chart. We've been injured at TE all year, and it keeps getting worse. I think parts of the playbook are taped shut because we don't have the roster right now.
This. I was about to reply with the question "What part of faking a field goal attempt and a punt attempt are wildly conservative and low risk?"

slugboy

Staff member
This. I was about to reply with the question "What part of faking a field goal attempt and a punt attempt are wildly conservative and low risk?"
The story on offense:
  • Neither the run game nor the pass game were working for us. Our success rate was 38%, and theirs was 48%. They were reliably moving the ball
  • Our red zone performance was way down as well. We were low on explosive plays, and we weren't grinding it out either. So, only 13 points.
  • For Notre Dame, their run game was working. Their line yards weren't much better than ours, but their backs broke tackles and juked defenders, while Notre Dame's first defender made the tackle.
  • We were sacked twice, Notre Dame wasn't sacked (and should have been). They hardly had negative plays, and we had plenty.

ProductionNotre Dame Georgia Tech
Scrimmage Plays6966
  Yards396346
  Yards/Play5.745.24
  EPA-4.42-12.17
  EPA/Play-0.06-0.18
Passes30 (43%)39 (59%)
  Yards195247
  Yards/Play6.506.33
  EPA-6.10-5.34
  EPA/Play-0.20-0.14
Rushes39 (57%)27 (41%)
  Yards18477
  Yards/Play4.972.85
  EPA1.68-6.83
  EPA/Play0.04-0.25

Rushing Notre Dame Georgia Tech
Scrimmage Plays6966
Rushes39 (57%)27 (41%)
  Power Run Attempts (Down ≥ 3, Distance ≤ 2)3 (8%)2 (7%)
  Successful Power Runs (Rate)3 (100%)1 (50%)
  Stuffed Runs (Yds Gained ≤ 0)6 (15%)6 (22%)
  Stopped Runs (Yds Gained ≤ 2)17 (44%)14 (52%)
  Opportunity Runs (Yds Gained ≥ 4)16 (41%)10 (37%)
OL Line Yards49.834.1
  Per Carry1.281.26
Highlight Yards69.517
  Per Rush Opportunity4.341.70

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Sure I can. It’s only a generalization based on what each team did in that set of variables. GA Tech changes its strategy, too, BTW. Just as certainly it would have played out differently, as you say. It’s a complex system, strongly impacted by feedback loops.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The story on offense:
  • Neither the run game nor the pass game were working for us. Our success rate was 38%, and theirs was 48%. They were reliably moving the ball
  • Our red zone performance was way down as well. We were low on explosive plays, and we weren't grinding it out either. So, only 13 points.
  • For Notre Dame, their run game was working. Their line yards weren't much better than ours, but their backs broke tackles and juked defenders, while Notre Dame's first defender made the tackle.
  • We were sacked twice, Notre Dame wasn't sacked (and should have been). They hardly had negative plays, and we had plenty.

ProductionNotre DameGeorgia Tech
Scrimmage Plays6966
  Yards396346
  Yards/Play5.745.24
  EPA-4.42-12.17
  EPA/Play-0.06-0.18
Passes30 (43%)39 (59%)
  Yards195247
  Yards/Play6.506.33
  EPA-6.10-5.34
  EPA/Play-0.20-0.14
Rushes39 (57%)27 (41%)
  Yards18477
  Yards/Play4.972.85
  EPA1.68-6.83
  EPA/Play0.04-0.25

RushingNotre DameGeorgia Tech
Scrimmage Plays6966
Rushes39 (57%)27 (41%)
  Power Run Attempts (Down ≥ 3, Distance ≤ 2)3 (8%)2 (7%)
  Successful Power Runs (Rate)3 (100%)1 (50%)
  Stuffed Runs (Yds Gained ≤ 0)6 (15%)6 (22%)
  Stopped Runs (Yds Gained ≤ 2)17 (44%)14 (52%)
  Opportunity Runs (Yds Gained ≥ 4)16 (41%)10 (37%)
OL Line Yards49.834.1
  Per Carry1.281.26
Highlight Yards69.517
  Per Rush Opportunity4.341.70
Are you able to compare the first half and second half stats? Just from watching the game in the stands, it seemed to me that the run game was horrible the entire game, but that the passing game was good during the first half, and dropped off greatly during the second half. Just casual observation, it looked like we ran the standard offense until after ND scored in the second half to go up 2 scores. (Maybe until they scored the FG, but I can't remember). It seemed during the game that the passing stats were very close to 100% in the first half, then when we tried to go pass-happy the percentage and effectiveness dropped significantly.