Zach Pyron is a tough dude!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
No, that is absolutely a bad game for a backup QB. ND is definitely not a top 10 team. They definitely have a solid defense but Let’s see what they do against Navy.
300 total yards for a backup QB is not a good game? I’d like to see what backup QB’s you’ve been watching that can step in and put up 300 yards on a top 15 team in the country.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
300 total yards for a backup QB is not a good game? I’d like to see what backup QB’s you’ve been watching that can step in and put up 300 yards on a top 15 team in the country.
I mean, this is kind of what I’m getting at with Key not playing King - we were going to lose this game. He knew it. Pyron did what he could do.

We lost 31-13 and we are sitting here saying “Well 300 yards”

300 yards and we only scored 13.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, but we did not need to risk his health when game is out of reach. We may need him against VT
I believe Zach needed that last drive to restore some confidence in his game. From the time we scored our TD until that last drive he really struggled throwing the ball. Impossible to tell from watching in person or on TV if there were receivers he could have thrown to but did not. The film session will be very helpful for Zach. As long as he didn't break anything he should be ok the play next week if King is still hurt. His inexperience was noticeable today. Only playing time will change that.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I mean, this is kind of what I’m getting at with Key not playing King - we were going to lose this game. He knew it. Pyron did what he could do.

Supposedly there was a very heated argument a few years ago in the GT HC's office. If that argument took place, the HC was yelling something like the GT players could not win football games, and deserved to have a good time. An assistant coach was yelling asking why the HC was even a coach and what the point of playing games is unless you believe you have a chance to win. That HC is no longer here. That assistant is now the HC.

I seriously doubt that any notion that we were not able to win the game played into King sitting today.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

What are you talking about? Nobody is talking about 300 yards? You said Pyron played bad for a backup QB, he clearly didn’t. We didn’t lose the game or only put up 13 points because Pyron played bad. We ran for 64 yards total, and Pyron had 45 of them.

PVdad

Georgia Tech Fan

You’re probably one of the most clueless “fans” I’ve ever seen post on a message board. You really think Key and these players “knew we were going to lose this game”.

You can say what you want about Zach, I’ll even join in, he’s never been coodled. And he will be the first to tell you he had a few things he’d do differently. But you’re a moron if you think any coach or player went into that game thinking they were gonna lose.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
yall really have to calm down.

king would have definitely given us a better chance to win, but it wouldn’t have been smart to play him hurt.

im not saying playing Pyron is a bad thing, but not playing King is the smart thing to do.

the ND defense is extremely tough

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s pretty clear Pyron’s play was far from the reason Tech lost. In fact I’d say he played a pretty good game considering he was under duress all day and the run game was non existent. Add in the fact that ND has been one of the stoutest defenses in the country this year and Pyron arguably played better than every other QB Notre Dame has faced this year

Zach Pyron today: 20/36 269yds 1 TD 2 INTS 13 carries 45 yards

Weigman (TAMU): 12/30 100 yds 0 TD 2INTS 7 carries 26 yards

Hampton (NIU): 10/19 198 yds 1 TD 0 INT 5 carries 21 yards

Card (Purdue): 11/24 124 yds 1 TD 2 INTS
6 carries -42 yds (yes that’s negative 42)

Gabbert (Miami OH): 14/35 119 yds 0 TD 2 INTS 6 carries -6yds

Shough (Louisville): 24/41 264yds 3 TD 1 INT 5 carries 36 yards

Daniels (Stanford): 8/13 74yds 0 TD 0 INT
14 carries 42yds

So with the exception of Tyler Shough, Pyron played better than every other QB on their schedule. Including Conner Weigman who is quarterbacking 6-1 and undefeated in the SEC Texas A&M.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As opposed to odds of 99.5% had we made the 2-point conversion?
Performative.
At the obvious do the perfect.
But at the substantive be marginal.

At the end, they had let subs play so they get better inspite of giving up plays.

We played starters in ol till bitter end, who now travel to blacksburg noon kickoff.

Knowing where you are and adjusting fits in wumith performative.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
What are you talking about? Nobody is talking about 300 yards? You said Pyron played bad for a backup QB, he clearly didn’t. We didn’t lose the game or only put up 13 points because Pyron played bad. We ran for 64 yards total, and Pyron had 45 of them.
He doesn’t know. There are adults who understand that you win some and you lose some, and you just deal with it, and there are children who cannot deal with it and stomp and brood and spew all manner of crap. I’ll let you decide which this is.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Anybody watch UTA’s all-world back-up, Arch Manning, last night against another good D?

FYI: 3/6 for 19 yards, -1 yard rushing, and a 14.8 QBR.

By comparison…
Pyron: 20/38 for 269, 45 yards rushing, and a 73.9 QBR.

Riley Leonard had a 71.5 QBR.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
king would have definitely given us a better chance to win, but it wouldn’t have been smart to play him hurt.
lmao no he wouldn't. Zach was throwing downfield more accurately last night than King has pretty much all season, but especially since he's been injured. We could not run the ball which is zero fault of Zach's, and we lose basically every time that is the case.

The amount of people who've decided ZP is not that good after his first start in 2 years against what is far and away the best defense have faced this season is absurd and shows how many of you have absolutely no idea what you are watching.