Zach Pyron is a tough dude!

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Supposedly there was a very heated argument a few years ago in the GT HC's office. If that argument took place, the HC was yelling something like the GT players could not win football games, and deserved to have a good time. An assistant coach was yelling asking why the HC was even a coach and what the point of playing games is unless you believe you have a chance to win. That HC is no longer here. That assistant is now the HC.

I seriously doubt that any notion that we were not able to win the game played into King sitting today.
Plus he sure didn't act like we couldn't win on the sideline and he doesn't know Key at all. Someone close to Key has said that Brent would fire his own mother to win a football game.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Plus he sure didn't act like we couldn't win on the sideline and he doesn't know Key at all. Someone close to Key has said that Brent would fire his own mother to win a football game.
Well, he’s gonna need to do something. We repeatedly don’t have the right number of players on the field. We suck at executing fgs. Our players don’t know how to sell getting a call (punter, receivers, linemen, etc.). We’ve had way too many killer false starts. There’s just too many basic things that we aren’t doing right/well that we should be by now.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Pyron did his part… he was not responsible for the coaching and execution of a little league level special teams effort, nor is he teaching or executing arm tackling techniques on defense.

When 12 men are on the field, again!, the QB should be 1 of the (11) that belong out there.

I’m a far stretch from the juice crew, but even I don’t have issues with the QB play from yesterday.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Minor nit pick, but Philo still needs to sit out at least one of our final games to keep his redshirt since he played vs VMI.
with college football the way it is now ( the portal and NIL) play any player that can help and Fu*k redshirting players you don't know who will stay all 4 or 5 years,

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I want to see Zach play when our running game is working. Other than Pyron's rushes gaining 45 yards, our other ball carriers got only 19 yards for a total of 64 yards total.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
yall really have to calm down.

king would have definitely given us a better chance to win, but it wouldn’t have been smart to play him hurt.

im not saying playing Pyron is a bad thing, but not playing King is the smart thing to do.

the ND defense is extremely tough
A hurt King would not have given us a better chance to win than a healthy Pyron. That's why King was on the bench, or at least one of the reasons, including his need to heal up before seeing the field again.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
If the offense is not working against VT with Pyron, I wouldnt mind seeing what Philo could do cause it is a very important game for us to win. But I trust the coaches to make the best decision on who to play.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Pyron did his part… he was not responsible for the coaching and execution of a little league level special teams effort, nor is he teaching or executing arm tackling techniques on defense.

When 12 men are on the field, again!, the QB should be 1 of the (11) that belong out there.

I’m a far stretch from the juice crew, but even I don’t have issues with the QB play from yesterday.

tackling and ST killed us. ZP was good. And, a few running into the kicker non-calls and some late hits out of bounds, but evidently, there is no reason to call those penalties on other teams when they play us.

it should be us suing to get out of the referee ridiculousness that is the ACC.

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
crap take - you should delete it, really. ZP is a good QB.
In the age of the transfer portal, Zach could have transferred and didn't. He's loyal and a great QB. I would have been glad to have him on my DoD team right after 9/11. He's the guy that would have accomplished the job when it seemed impossible.

Rumor is that there was a Marvel movie based on Pyron but they couldn't agree on the marketing rights. John Cena's wrestling persona is a tribute to Pyron.
He would be the leading candidate for president if he was constitutionally eligible.

Joshua Nesbitt and Zach Lackey call Zach Pyron "sir"

nothing but respect.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
He doesn’t know. There are adults who understand that you win some and you lose some, and you just deal with it, and there are children who cannot deal with it and stomp and brood and spew all manner of crap. I’ll let you decide which this is.
I guess all fans boards are essentially the same. Win a game and you are in the playoffs, lose and fire the coach and disband the sport. LOL We lost to a better team. We are far better than we were 3 years ago. We're getting better. Our coach and staff are excellent. Two things cost us the game, and Key is addressing both as I type. Special teams, and poor tackling. Maybe Key is a little too commited to the run. We need to develop a better passing game, short and intermediate. But what do I know, I'm only another idiot on a fan sport board. LOL. Go Falcons!

slugboy

Staff member
More to the point, one of the top five defenses, if not the number one defense
There is a habit in this board of rationalizing losses. Notre Dame is the #1 defense in opponent adjusted FEI. They played like they were on a mission.

Their Safety Xavier Watts won the Nagurski trophy for best defensive player last season. He’s playing better this year.

Pyron had an ESPN QBR of 73.9 in this game, despite two picks.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
CBK says his job is problem fixing and certainly that is a big part of it. He has untold problems with ST, although some of the problems may turn out to be the same source he needs to get busy fixing STs IMO.
It's obvious we got a lot of rebuilding to do overall but we've sort of known that. My surprise with ZP was I thought he had a little more speed than I saw. I'm not knocking the kid, he played his heart out and left it all on the field. I can't ask any more than that from anyone.
ND appeared to be so very athletic at most every position, that is just outstanding recruiting which they have always pretty much done. I think their offense is a much better offense today than when they lost to N ILL.

slugboy

Staff member
I think you must have watched a different football game from the one that I watched.
One thing I take from the in-game chat (and there is very little I take from it) is that I watch a different game than a lot of our fans.

I wasn’t good enough to play in college, but playing in high school changed what I look for and look at. For one thing, experience trying to block players who outweighed me by over a hundred pounds was a sports lesson.

We got out-athleted yesterday. There were coaching errors, but speed and size disadvantages took their toll.

Overall, we played tough and with a lot of grit.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
This game also pointed out our need for DL and LB. As I've posted before, this should be priority one in our NIL spending. GT has always had trouble recruiting big, tough academicaly challenged DL. O'Leary spoke of it often. So let's buy some in this stupid age of semi pro college sports. Sigh...