Winter is Coming - Offseason S&C

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I look at brand/image/identity kinda like a word association game. When someone says Georgia tech football what does Joe fan think of right away? Under Johnson it was triple option. Under gaily it was a blank stare. We had none. What’s it going to be now? What’s going to make us stand out from the crowd? Juice? Waffle House?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I look at brand/image/identity kinda like a word association game. When someone says Georgia tech football what does Joe fan think of right away? Under Johnson it was triple option. Under gaily it was a blank stare. We had none. What’s it going to be now? What’s going to make us stand out from the crowd? Juice? Waffle House?

Screaming. Non-stop screaming.

And pointing. Don’t forget pointing.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Some people tied their GT fanhood to a coach, and now that the coach is gone they feel lost. You are correct, if someone is a GT fan, the brand and the identity is GT.

GT = Elite. In everything.

Does any more really need to be said?

Then why did CGC say he plans to focus so much on branding? I guess he can just get to work on the defense since nothing else needs to be said.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Screaming. Non-stop screaming.

And pointing. Don’t forget pointing.

It really is kinda funny about this "juice" and abundance of "people on caffeine" (I guess the optimists on the board might call it "high on life") is going to be the difference for GT becoming relevant in the top 10-15 of college football. I do believe that some kids (extroverts) like this stuff, and some kids (introverts) probably feel uncomfortable with some of this stuff, although they will go along with it if they are already in the GT fold, because an introvert does not know what to do around these kinds of people. (I am one, so I know) Whether it helps recruiting, that is one thing. It probably will somewhat for kids who are attracted to this high strung, high octane positivity. But to believe it will make GT a top 10-15 program consistently and allow us to recruit at a top 25 level consistently, I just don't know. It will be interesting to watch, as it already has been very, very interesting to observe.

I guess I have come to one conclusion so far - it won't be boring, at least in the off season.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Looks like David Curry's team has been nasty during the start of the competition. Surprised the other teams aren't making more noise. I would not want to be on Parker's team with back to back to back losses.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
It really is kinda funny about this "juice" and abundance of "people on caffeine" (I guess the optimists on the board might call it "high on life") is going to be the difference for GT becoming relevant in the top 10-15 of college football. I do believe that some kids (extroverts) like this stuff, and some kids (introverts) probably feel uncomfortable with some of this stuff, although they will go along with it if they are already in the GT fold, because an introvert does not know what to do around these kinds of people. (I am one, so I know) Whether it helps recruiting, that is one thing. It probably will somewhat for kids who are attracted to this high strung, high octane positivity. But to believe it will make GT a top 10-15 program consistently and allow us to recruit at a top 25 level consistently, I just don't know. It will be interesting to watch, as it already has been very, very interesting to observe.

I guess I have come to one conclusion so far - it won't be boring, at least in the off season.

BamaBuzz, I think that 95% of the kids who make it to a P5 recruiting level are well-versed in that high-energy 'extroverted' environment. That's high-school football these days, and if a football player didn't like that kind of thing then they would have self-selected out of the sport well before they became athletic phenoms. He's not doing that stuff to attract the likes of me (on oh-so-many levels); he's after high-energy young men with an absolute passion for winning. I think the message will be well-received.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
BamaBuzz, I think that 95% of the kids who make it to a P5 recruiting level are well-versed in that high-energy 'extroverted' environment. That's high-school football these days, and if a football player didn't like that kind of thing then they would have self-selected out of the sport well before they became athletic phenoms. He's not doing that stuff to attract the likes of me (on oh-so-many levels); he's after high-energy young men with an absolute passion for winning. I think the message will be well-received.

I definitely believe, as you say, there is a great majority of kids (maybe 80-85% in my judgement) who will like what we are now selling. Again, being well received and having the historically great results (recruiting wise mainly) are 2 different things, but we definitely could not have the historically great results without doing what we are doing.

Like I said, this should be very interesting going forward.