Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow

UA still sees themselves as a startup (NIKE still has an almost $20 bil sales advantage) so they are much more eager/willing to throw money at schools, while NIKE doesn't push your school unless the team is doing well.

UA does a very nice Job with classic uniforms and would do a good job with GT imo. They only really go crazy with UMD's jerseys.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Wait, so there's a chance we're getting out of this RA deal early? Christmas in April if so.

Yes if MBob approached them and gave them a compelling enough reason to do so. Doubt it will happen until the end of the contract though.

Also interesting to note that UA usually jumps on teams that have had bad years so they can be apart of the "build of the program". Lots to factor in but UA is definitely a better fit for GT and will give more to us than NIKE would. (remember, GT was the first entity to ever wear UA).

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes if MBob approached them and gave them a compelling enough reason to do so. Doubt it will happen until the end of the contract though.

Also interesting to note that UA usually jumps on teams that have had bad years so they can be apart of the "build of the program". Lots to factor in but UA is definitely a better fit for GT and will give more to us than NIKE would. (remember, GT was the first entity to ever wear UA).

In 1988, Cremins got the highest paid shoe contract from Nike. I don't think either thing has particular relevance to the future.

Here is a link to an article from 1990 showing Cremins as the highest paid coach by a shoe company.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
In 1988, Cremins got the highest paid shoe contract from Nike. I don't think either thing has particular relevance to the future.

Here is a link to an article from 1990 showing Cremins as the highest paid coach by a shoe company.

I agree with you but I worked at UA and GT is a big part of their history. They talk about Kevin's story all the time and they NEVER leave out that GT was the first to buy. I also spoke with the sourcing team and they reiterated GT was a big priority. FWIW

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you but I worked at UA and GT is a big part of their history. They talk about Kevin's story all the time and they NEVER leave out that GT was the first to buy. I also spoke with the sourcing team and they reiterated GT was a big priority. FWIW

Good. They can bring the cash.
;)

slugboy

Staff member
Short answer to the original question: because our contract goes through 2018, it's currently 2016, and they used their relationships to make a deal last time (and maybe again next time)

yellowjacketjosh

Georgia Tech Fan
I hate Russell gear. The clothes that Russell makes for tech is crap. I'm ready for UA to take over and clean this mess up. Russell is targeted toward high school, not college. I never see any Tech stuff in the sports stores (very little) except Tailgaters Alley (which went out of business last Saturday, wonder who will open shop next to Dodd?) Anyway, I would definetly want UA and GT would make lots of money off of it. Russell's disribution of GT clothing is pretty awful.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

What could MBob due to give them a compelling enough reason to end the contract? Maybe on their end but can not see what GT could say to them to have the contract broken.