Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

Not suprised. For those that say it doesn't matter trust me, it does. The AAU kids I work with in Flint kill me all the time about it. Hell, 2 years ago when I was watching the football game against Ugag there was a local varsity football team watching the UM OSU game at a table next to us and I heard the entire table including coaches trashing us for wearing the R. It might sound petty but it does project us as a lower level program to those that are not familiar.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Not suprised. For those that say it doesn't matter trust me, it does. The AAU kids I work with in Flint kill me all the time about it. Hell, 2 years ago when I was watching the football game against Ugag there was a local varsity football team watching the UM OSU game at a table next to us and I heard the entire table including coaches trashing us for wearing the R. It might sound petty but it does project us as a lower level program to those that are not familiar.

100% true

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If someone told me ten years ago that recruits might base their decision as to where to attend college based on the team's apparel company, I would have thought they were wacko. Now it's a given.
Honestly do not want to side track this but I have contended that this is only one of many factors holding us back in recruiting and it may not even be among the top five reasons. But, uniforms are a good scapegoat if nothing else.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Honestly do not want to side track this but I have contended that this is only one of many factors holding us back in recruiting and it may not even be among the top five reasons. But, uniforms are a good scapegoat if nothing else.
I don't really think the "style" of the uniform is the issue as much as the wal mart associated R is with 16-18 year old kids. Hell, I'm even embarrassed by it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't really think the "style" of the uniform is the issue as much as the wal mart associated R is with 16-18 year old kids. Hell, I'm even embarrassed by it.
I agree.

My point, which I will surely catch heck for sharing, is that there are some student athletes who fit the Tech profile who are probably even more turned off by certain "red-neck" characteristics of Georgia culture and politics. I have experienced groups of teenagers in other parts of the country who sneer at Tech because they confuse our fans with uga fans and they assume that Tech is somehow associated with the worst aspects of the state (racist Trump voters for instance).

That is not Tech's fault but is is something Tech needs to work extra hard to overcome. For every athlete who wishes they could play in the SEC but who would settle for playing at Tech if we just didn't have that R on the jerseys, there are probably 5 athletes who care little or none about the R but do not want to spend their college years in Georgia because of the perception that we are unenlightened. These kids are not making a statement and it probably is not even a conscious choice. It is just in their DNA to not want to be associated with people or cultures that seem stuck in a past century.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
http://picksixpreviews.com/fashion-wars.html

This article is football specific, but the points remain the same for basketball as well and I might argue are actually amplified.

2184528.png

6254608.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This article is football specific, but the points remain the same for basketball as well and I might argue are actually amplified.

2184528.png

6254608.png

Pretty much tells you the generational gap in terms of uniform taste.

Most of those schools (Texas, USC, Michigan, Alabama, Penn State) have what is considered some of the most iconic uniforms in all of sports. It seems like the younger kids don't care about tradition.

LOL at Maryland though. All those edgy designs with the Maryland flag lands them on the list at #3 the "worst" list.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow

2184528.png

6254608.png

It's pretty obvious that there is a heavy bias towards modern uniforms....the problem is that we can't chalk up our poor results to "old school look not being popular with the young kids." We have tried to go with a modern look and we suck doing it

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Fascinating, but not sure what it tells us.

By far the team that had the highest negative perception by recruits was Alabama. Those who said image and uniforms were very important ranked Alabama as the worst "brand." Makes you wonder how well they would recruit if they just had decent uniforms.

Schools that were also fairly traditional in their style but which made the favorite list for image and uniforms were FSU, Ohio State and Notre Dame.

Maryland was really bi-polar. It got enough positive and negative votes to rank 4th worst and 4th best for uniforms.

Oregon was off the charts most popular. No surprise. I tend to like traditional uniforms but even I have to admit the design team that does their work is at the top of their game. No Madison Avenue company has ever done a better job marketing to youth.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
85-95 range Generations are much smaller now because of advancement of technology.

Also Plato used to complain about his students as being the worst ever so it's not a new thing. Also not a correct thing but at least everyone is in good company.
What is funny about this is that our youngest daughter is a millennial. My wife and I secretly worried that she seemed a little bit entitled. Now she is complaining bitterly about the generation after her and what slackers they are.