Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm all for anything but RA at this point but if I had my way, it'd be Nike - they have the combat brand that would suit our "honeycomb" look. Plus we get the better marketing and much cooler products (yes, cooler).

I'd be down for Adidas but they just don't have the same appeal in football as Nike and perception is everything. Yes, Adidas owns the soccer market but we don't even have a D1 soccer team (just a club). It'd be one thing if we had a decent soccer team that was competitive but we don't...so Adidas takes a backseat to Nike AND UA for that reason.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I just bought my first pair of Adidas shoes. Really comfortable and look great. I'd be fine with any of the big 3, but I agree with others that have said Adidas and UA have swapped for me as first choice behind Nike.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
And I did get a pair of the adidas Yeezys. I got a shoe guy so I didn't pay $700 but those are hands down the best shoe I've worn in terms of comfort ever. And I have 100's of shoes in my closet. I have an obsession almost as bad a jarret jacks. Lol

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think quite a few have expressed that it won't be Nike. Though many have said they want Nike
Quite a few have stated that UA would pay big bucks, however the WKU deal shows a few things, first Bobblehead Bobinski needed to go, but also that UA told him they will not pay top dollar for GT, instead UA opts of GA State deal...

GT could have left RA just like WKU... however no one will pay as much as RA so we are stuck until the end...

Adidas or UA will get GT for the cheap... Our only hope is that UA and Adidas get into a mini bidding war and we can get a deal like Boston College not Rutgers, but UA may have left the table...Time will tell!!

Bottom line our fan base should expect Rutgers/Washington State/Boston College type of deal, not Georgia, ND, or Michigan money!!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
UA is not doing very well, so I wouldn't expect to see figures approaching what we saw them do with other schools even 2 years ago. Nike is Nike...they'll throw dollars at big name blue bloods in a sport, everyone gets what they offer or good luck. I think everyone underestimate Adidas, but the truth is they're probably running 2nd with UA in terms of impact with recruiting.

The best bet may be to sign a short term deal with one of UA, Adidas, Nike and hope our Big 2 revenue sports takes off and the market for UA and Adidas grows during that time so they become more attractive. Nike will always be Nike, and unless we start becoming a perrenial top 10 team, don't expect them to throw money at us.

As always, it's all about timing, and we may have missed the boat when all the shoe companies were throwing money at schools.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Quite a few have stated that UA would pay big bucks, however the WKU deal shows a few things, first Bobblehead Bobinski needed to go, but also that UA told him they will not pay top dollar for GT, instead UA opts of GA State deal...

GT could have left RA just like WKU... however no one will pay as much as RA so we are stuck until the end...

Adidas or UA will get GT for the cheap... Our only hope is that UA and Adidas get into a mini bidding war and we can get a deal like Boston College not Rutgers, but UA may have left the table...Time will tell!!

Bottom line our fan base should expect Rutgers/Washington State/Boston College type of deal, not Georgia, ND, or Michigan money!!!

From what I have heard about Stansbury from people I trust in regards to this program, I trust him to do the best possible thing for the program. I just hope GT gets good, top notch apparel for the teams and gets involved with AAU circuit teams associated with one of the 3 major providers. Those association=recruiting uptick=wins=season tickets/attendance=$$ we are missing out on now.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
UA is not doing very well, so I wouldn't expect to see figures approaching what we saw them do with other schools even 2 years ago. Nike is Nike...they'll throw dollars at big name blue bloods in a sport, everyone gets what they offer or good luck. I think everyone underestimate Adidas, but the truth is they're probably running 2nd with UA in terms of impact with recruiting.

The best bet may be to sign a short term deal with one of UA, Adidas, Nike and hope our Big 2 revenue sports takes off and the market for UA and Adidas grows during that time so they become more attractive. Nike will always be Nike, and unless we start becoming a perrenial top 10 team, don't expect them to throw money at us.

As always, it's all about timing, and we may have missed the boat when all the shoe companies were throwing money at schools.

The Kohls agreement is a disaster

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting. Not sure if this was posted previously (too lazy to look), but underscores the "Nike and everyone else" thought. Probably tells you why our coaches are pulling for Nike:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-influence-in-college-basketball-than-adidas/

"To me, Nike is running away with the No. 1 spot. Not even close. The No. 2 spot, I think, is Under Armour -- and they're leaving Adidas behind. Adidas consistently puts out bad-looking gear and uniforms. The best thing they have going for them is the Yeezy shoe line, but I hear that it's still almost impossible for some of the big-name Adidas sponsored schools to get the shoes. I'd be pissed if we were sponsored by Adidas."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Kohls agreement is a disaster

Yep. That combined with their attempt to foray into the high-dollar shoe game to compete with Nike.

I posted last year that UA is cursed. At that time, they had the #1 golfer (Speith?), the NFL MVP (Cam Newton) and the NBA MVP (Curry) inked. Since then the golfer went through that epic collapse, Newton melted down and lost the Super Bowl and Curry lost the 3-1 lead and was made to look like Lebron's little bro in the Finals.

Then all the financial stuff started. UA is cursed.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
UA to me is a high end RA. The apparel is decent but they only seem to know how to make dri fit shirts. I've never seen a cotton UA tee shirt. UA shoes are not very comfortable and are ugly as hell. Adidas is bouncing back in a major way but the unis are hit and miss. I saw what they did with michigans basketball uniforms and it was horrid. Nike, I don't believe has much interest in us. They know if they want us they can get us at a low rate. Adidas might be the one to show more love to us right now. UA seems to be tanking.

GTFLETCH

Banned

Spot On...couldn't agree more!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Salty @RyanS12 was able to get some Yeezys. For retail I assume?

Im fine with adidas as long if this is the direction
Of the uniforms

IMG_0931.PNG

“Merging innovation and style to produce the perfect blend of modern technology with a historic, national championship-yielding look, the retro style uniforms were designed as a nod the legacy and domination of the teams from the 80’s and 90’s which saw the Hurricanes win four national championships,” the school said in a statement.