Where do we go from here?

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
To throw more fuel on the fire. I have two friends who are long time season ticket holders who gave up their tickets this year. This seems to be a sign. Attendance at the Va Tech game was about 50% capacity. CGC certainly has not increased the fan base. And as far as my personal experience has decreased the fanbase. I realize I am speaking for the old timers. But is there an increase in new blood? If the new fan is not stepping up and the old timers are leaving, what does that say about "Where do we go from here"?

ballground jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
To throw more fuel on the fire. I have two friends who are long time season ticket holders who gave up their tickets this year. This seems to be a sign. Attendance at the Va Tech game was about 50% capacity. CGC certainly has not increased the fan base. And as far as my personal experience has decreased the fanbase. I realize I am speaking for the old timers. But is there an increase in new blood? If the new fan is not stepping up and the old timers are leaving, what does that say about "Where do we go from here"?

I have had season tickets for 15 years. We are giving them up at the end of the year. Part of it is I am disabled and on a fixed income and then there is the I don't feel like the team has gotten better or that they will anytime soon. I am also a season ticket holder of Atlanta United and I can go to 18 games there for the same price as my tickets at BDS. I did not go to GT and no one in my family has either. My granddad met Bobby Dodd and the rest of the family has been ever since. Hell I even have a Tech Tattoo. I hate that this is our last year.. I also hate the uga game is going to be my last time in BDS for a while.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have had season tickets for 15 years. We are giving them up at the end of the year. Part of it is I am disabled and on a fixed income and then there is the I don't feel like the team has gotten better or that they will anytime soon. I am also a season ticket holder of Atlanta United and I can go to 18 games there for the same price as my tickets at BDS. I did not go to GT and no one in my family has either. My granddad met Bobby Dodd and the rest of the family has been ever since. Hell I even have a Tech Tattoo. I hate that this is our last year.. I also hate the uga game is going to be my last time in BDS for a while.
Thanks for your support of the team. Sorry you will be unable to continue coming to the games.

Jmonty71

Banned
Where to go from here??? I saw a post that said we can't afford to fire CGC and damned sure can't afford to keep him. One on side of the stick, GT (once again) forked way too much money out, for a less than stellar coach. T-Stan should hire one of us, at a 80% paycut,... I mean, we can't do any worse.... (that was a joke, for the snowflakes)... However; on the other side of the stick, how much damage is a losing program with a head coach, that knows absolutely nothing???? How many recruits do we lose to non commits and transfers?? We are in a catch 22..... I think we have to stick with Mr. Loser for another 2 years... Now, where there SHOULD be immediate demands is at the DC and OC spots. Neither one of those coaches should be sitting on the sideline, next year. I often wonder if CGC is not hiring OCs and DCs with a lot of experience, because he doesn't want to be outshined by one of his assistants? I guess P'naude would have experience, just not what I would call winning experience. I think Thacker is worse, at this point of time. However; I think P'naude is just as guilty for NOT putting some damned sense into Collins.... To add, I think P'naude's offense is also boring and very predictable.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Has there been much of anything in the last 7 years that would entice casuals (non alumni, fans looking for a team to pull for) to adopt GT as their team?

Since 2015 (W-L): 21-33
Since 2015 Bowls: 2 appearance from 6 opportunities (but lets be real, GT isn't going to a bowl this year either), 1-1

A kid could be 11 years old playing rec ball, all the way up to their senior year at high school and this is what they would have observed from GT football.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I just looked at salaries. Venables, the DC at Clemson, makes about double what our entire defensive staff makes. He makes $2.5 million/year. When we are paying our DC $2 million/year less, do we really think we are going to have a top notch DC? And Thacker makes more than Patenaude. Key is the highest paid assistant, and in my opinion, the most under performing assistant on offense.
What we can do is go out and find ourselves some good coordinators who haven't climbed the ladder yet - someone at the lower levels who would be glad to come here and turn this ship around. Most of the good coordinators who are now at P5 schools started at the lower ranks.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I often wonder if CGC is not hiring OCs and DCs with a lot of experience, because he doesn't want to be outshined by one of his assistants?

this is illogical at best. A HC's success is ultimately determined by his assistant coaches and I know both CGC and TStan know this. In fact, wasn't Coach Pastner aided by the AD at the time who insisted that he hire experienced assistants? We have guys here who follow BB closer than I do who can correct me if I am wrong. If you want to make the claim that CGC made bad hiring decisions then I won't push back on that. But to claim he did so willingly is incredulous (to use the kindest words I can think of at this moment).

Animal02

Banned
My football season at Tech as a student were '78-'82 We had an overall record of 19-35-2 (even worse if I had escaped after 4 year......would have been 13-30-2) It took years for me to be interested in Tech football after that, It will be even worse with today's students, as they have so many other entertainment alternatives.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
The only thing we can do is vote with our wallets. I will be giving my season tickets up too. The AD said if we wanted better football to pony up. Well I did. And I got screwed. I am not going to continue to drive 3.5 hours on Saturdays to Atlanta to watch this circus. I will be at home waiting for my ESPN app to give me hope. Once I get that notification that we are in the market for a new coach I hope my seats are still there ( I have no doubt that my seats will be empty)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Right now Collins has 2 years or less to save himself from getting canned and likely never holding a head coach position again. He has two options - if he truly believes we are about to turn the corner, he can stick with his current staff, continue his messaging schtick of love/family/together, and hope we turn the corner. Or, he can admit our current staff sucks, replace some or all of them with better coaches who can hopefully get us some more wins in two seasons, and give up on his schtick - can't tell everyone to stay together and love one another and be a family, then fire part of the family for not getting the job done.

It seems to me that based on his presser comments and the rumors going around, that he is losing at least some of the locker room. Guys who've been here 3,4,5 years and seen basically zero progress have wisened up and know they've gotten screwed. If it weren't for the GT degree, there probably would be even more transfers.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
GT can raise money for what the alums see as significant to them. The amount raised by the reunion classes that was announced at homecoming was something like $70M+. When alums decide that FB needs to be resurrected it could happen but only if it is a priority to each donor and they feel their money is well spent. That will be tough now with what is rapidly becoming an unpopular coach and one who has 4 more years on a contract. People with money don't want to waste it. Nothing needs to happen with staff changes until after the signing period is over. That could be an incentive to raise some $ for staff buyouts. Coaching can be a lucrative profession but it can be brutal as well.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
CGC needs to renegotiate his contract to get some better assistants- lets get some known great Coordinators in here i.e. Will Muschamp, Art Briles etc

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The sad part of all this is we play uga at home , we will be lucky if we have 15k of our fans at the game and 40K uga fans at our place boy is that going to look good. Of course web could have 20 k at the Boston college for a big turn out. Fire CGC or keep him but you really need to look at the guy who put us in this position before he digs a bigger hole not that it matters now.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The sad part of all this is we play uga at home , we will be lucky if we have 15k of our fans at the game and 40K uga fans at our place boy is that going to look good. Of course web could have 20 k at the Boston college for a big turn out. Fire CGC or keep him but you really need to look at the guy who put us in this position before he digs a bigger hole not that it matters now.
The crowds were declining under the previous regime as well. Firing him now puts us into an enormous financial hole

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am pretty certain I read in my last philanthropy magazine that Collins and his wife had donated over $200K to the FB program. That is a tax deductible contribution for scholarships that the AA can then use other money on the staff budget. Not sure what the IRS limit is since I have never been in that category of donating but that is significant money.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I am pretty certain I read in my last philanthropy magazine that Collins and his wife had donated over $200K to the FB program. That is a tax deductible contribution for scholarships that the AA can then use other money on the staff budget. Not sure what the IRS limit is since I have never been in that category of donating but that is significant money.
That's more than he has contributed from the sideline...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I can see why he hired Collins. He wanted to change the culture and improve recruiting, and Geoff fit the bill. He probably thought the guy could coach.