Where do we go from here?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have had season tickets for 15 years. We are giving them up at the end of the year. Part of it is I am disabled and on a fixed income and then there is the I don't feel like the team has gotten better or that they will anytime soon. I am also a season ticket holder of Atlanta United and I can go to 18 games there for the same price as my tickets at BDS. I did not go to GT and no one in my family has either. My granddad met Bobby Dodd and the rest of the family has been ever since. Hell I even have a Tech Tattoo. I hate that this is our last year.. I also hate the uga game is going to be my last time in BDS for a while.
Thank you for being a walk up ga tech fan. Life takes us in many directions so i completely understand what u r doing.

When we get better i hope gtaa remembers your past service and gives u seat preferences.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I just ran some quick numbers and they express where we are and where we seem to be going:
I looked at 8 ACC programs , 5 with relatively new coaches= Diaz, Satterfield. Hafley, Norvell, Collins
It shows W-L records for 2019 , 2020 , PROJECTED 2021 and a total over those years.

Univ. of Miami 6-7, 8-3, 8-4 = 22-14 ( check out their last 4 games )
Virginia Tech 8-5, 5-6, 6-6 = 19-17 ( Fuentes safe,,,,for now ? )
Univ. Of Louisville 8-5 , 4-7, 6-6 = 18-18 ( Cunningham has them moving up)
Boston College 6-7, 6-5, 5-7 = 17-18 ( after losing 1st string QB)
Florida State 6-7 , 3-6, 4-8 = 13-21 ( Norvell in trouble ?)
Syracuse 5-7, 1-10, 5-7 = 11-24 ( GT their only win in 2020:sick:)
Duke 5-7, 2-9, 3-9 = 10-25 ( Last gasps for Cut ?)
Ga, Tech 3-9 , 3-8, 4-8 = 10-25 ( Treading water..... NOT at an elite level, BC hopefully a W)

Obviously UL, UM , BC, VT and even FSU benefitted somewhat from better records in 2019. But isn't that what good coaches do in their first year ( CPJ says hello ) ?
But where have UM, VT, UL, BC FSU, Syr , Duke and GT gone since then ? I really have little regard for the total rebuild excuse at this point. We have brought in quite a few transfers with high credentials. IMO, overall as a group, their results have been mediocre with few bright spots. We ARE very young, but that just means over the last 3 years we have not utilized the experienced players we did have very well , starting in the first year ( Defensive backfield says hello ).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
After Dodd left in the 60s I was whining to my dad (a uga fan) that Tech was never going to be able to compete again. He assured me that technology was the wave of the future and Tech would be rolling in resources and players who wanted to go a cutting edge school. I’m still waiting for that Tech advantage because dad was never wrong 😊
Mountain and Gold having a conversation with information. AWESOME INFO .

Let me add a little- wife and son are writers. One client s company wrote questions and mined survery data for college alumni association fund raising. Blzh , lah little things - but number one think was to identify and high lite something that alimni FONDLY remembers from Campus and emphasis it in communications.
I CGC is after the students - big change.
Has players going to outher sporting events, talks up needing energy.
Makes players sing ramblin wrek w at student section games.

i left atl for texas sfter grad- but i always hungered for gt football. Why? While at tech had no money and players were kind to me for tutoring help. Food from training table, accompany them comped fried chicken buffet, genuine thanks, say high to me on the hill. I identify with them and i give what i can because them.
Collins is on right track w the students.

PLOWING + SOWING PLUS THE RAIN ( WINS) will bring a big reward.

I

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Mountain and Gold having a conversation with information. AWESOME INFO .

Let me add a little- wife and son are writers. One client s company wrote questions and mined survery data for college alumni association fund raising. Blzh , lah little things - but number one think was to identify and high lite something that alimni FONDLY remembers from Campus and emphasis it in communications.
I CGC is after the students - big change.
Has players going to outher sporting events, talks up needing energy.
Makes players sing ramblin wrek w at student section games.

i left atl for texas sfter grad- but i always hungered for gt football. Why? While at tech had no money and players were kind to me for tutoring help. Food from training table, accompany them comped fried chicken buffet, genuine thanks, say high to me on the hill. I identify with them and i give what i can because them.
Collins is on right track w the students.

PLOWING + SOWING PLUS THE RAIN ( WINS) will bring a big reward.

I
What. I have literally no idea what you are trying to say or what point you are hoping to make, this is unintelligible.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
What. I have literally no idea what you are trying to say or what point you are hoping to make, this is unintelligible.
Talking about making the team a tighter weave into the GT Community should pay off in the future. I couldn't agree more. The reality is that there is too much supply of entertainment nowadays - you can literally live stream anything you want at any time, anywhere you are to your mobile phone. With AR and VR coming, there is less and less interest from people in things they can't interact with. Take shows for example, you see them now trying to include fans (little off topic, but Survivor the TV show has introduced a "game within the game" to let viewers play along with the contestants).

Consumers are being reached earlier and earlier in their lives and are being curated to enjoy different types of activities. Live sports is being consumed by interactive betting, watching 4 games at once at home, etc. The pageantry and sheer epicness of a gameday Saturday is losing it's mustard. That is why many of us - looking to the future - advocate for game day experience changes. Better seating and "event experience" from game day, beer garden overlooking the ATL Skyline, etc. We have to move to where Football watching/money making is going because we have missed our window to compete in the old paradigm.

What @iceeater1969 is talking about is more of a local, soft touch approach to the same end. Endearing the team to the student body writ large matters. Siphoning off fans from other sports, and sharing our fans with those programs builds a stronger community around GT Athletics broadly. Like the roots of a cypress tree these things intertwine and become stronger for the entanglement.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We only have 4 more game so we will only face a Top 10 QB 4 more times.
Got your point - cgc sounds silly when he leaves off specifics.

How bout Top 20 qbs at time of game.

FBS GAMES
1. Clemson top rated candidate at game time =" Soph w no experience guy w name to hard to spell - dropped like a rock. Played close.

2. Unc - sr Heisman candidate. Won big

3. PITT- sr - at time doing great - still is doing good Lost big

4 . Duke "Grad student" - long time backup. Only 4 int so far - barely won

5. Uva - "sr" Heisman candidate. Lost

6 . Vt - rs junior from oregon . Tough runner w few int

7. MIA - FRESHMAN - playing well rated #14.

Cgc should say number facts first .

Of the first 6 games in ACC gt has faced 4 qbs in 20. 3 qbs are or have been in Heisman race. The other 2 qb s we faced are seniors or grad students. Next we play a talented freshman qb rated at #14.
Facts are numbers based .

Cgc should summarize and repeat -
Our ACC schedule has been loaded with top 20 rated qbs most of which are seniors. The remaining qbs are seniors as well. Our margin for vistory has neen small. We have to do a better job and win more individual coaching and player battles. Its been a tough season so far but we know our young team is getting better. I can assure you we will fight the rest of the year to bring home victories.

Cgc- can now appeal for future. Next year gt will have a more experienced qb than any team we face. It will only get better.

Cgc being brutally honest= .
Sure we have had tough matchups. But we let Duke in a down year almost beat us. Then screwing up against vt at bds is embarrassing. At end of year these games will be prominenatly used as examine the entire program- very top to very bottom. Letting games like duke and vt not be signature wins is totally unacceptable. Please support us and Go Jackets.

Yea the guy is a poor presenter - i just add numbers and try to hear the positive

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If all these great QB’s are in the ACC, why is Wake Forest the only one ranked?
The only number that matters.
Because defense is optional in the ACC. Picket threw for over 500 yards last week and 3 TD and lost. Armstrong threw for 337 yds and 2 TD and his team scored 49 points. They lost by 17. Howell threw for 341 and a TD and put up 34 points against a top 10 team. They lost. The only team playing defense in the ACC has no idea what to do when they get the ball back.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Because defense is optional in the ACC. Picket threw for over 500 yards last week and 3 TD and lost. Armstrong threw for 337 yds and 2 TD and his team scored 49 points. They lost by 17. Howell threw for 341 and a TD and put up 34 points against a top 10 team. They lost. The only team playing defense in the ACC has no idea what to do when they get the ball back.
Could this be the reason our offense has impr.................... forget it that will start something and start things up again

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Could this be the reason our offense has impr.................... forget it that will start something and start things up again
Yeah, that’s the rub. It’s hard to tell improvement when this is the year a half decent team could have sailed through our schedule with 8 or 9 wins. Maybe we’ve improved but, if so, that means we were really really bad the previous years.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
This year feels a ton like 2015 to me.
- Come in to the year with expectations that aren't lived up to
- Play an absolutely brutal schedule
- The thing our team is best at is shooting ourselves in the foot
- Lost 1 score games (Clemson, NIU, UVA) VA Tech was 9 points but we had a chance to win. Only game that was totall out of reach was Pitt. UVA game is eerily similar to ND of 2015 where we furiously came back at the end to make it closer than it felt
- QB (Sims) is making mistakes of a young QB, sometimes trying to do too much. You could tell JT knew the weight of the team was on his back all 2015 and it affected his play.
- We very well may end up 3-9 again... like 2015
- Injuries have taken their toll. In 2015 it was the a-backs and b-backs, this year it is o-line and lack of depth at linebacker.
-DB's underporforming. We returned a pretty mature DB group in 2015 (Milton, White, Golden) that were not in 2014 form.

You make your own luck and it seems as if this team just creates bad luck. Much like last year and 2015, we are not only having to beat the other team, we are also playing against ourselves. Also, this year is an outlier of sorts with super seniors. Teams like bama and uga thrive on young talent, but Wake, Mich. State, Cincy have older rosters and have benefitted.

Hopefully marginal improvement in the little things over the spring and summer will equal big improvement next year. I have my doubts, but one can hope. One thing that I am definitely going to take with a pretty big grain of salt going forward is the impact of transfers on the team. Cochran has been solid, McGowan great, but the others in the Collins' tenure have been less than impressive. We don't need to let high school recruiting stars influence us too much. For every transfer like Kyler Murray there are 10 Tate Martells.

Things to be optimistic on in 2022
- Another year of experience for Sims under his belt
- Running back room getting deeper
- Highly-touted receiver recruits may emerge from the pack
- Hopefully a new defensive scheme (PLEASE!!!!)

Things that terrify me about 2022
-What in the world are we going to do about line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball?
-What can we do to get impactful linebacker play? (with the exception of Charlie Thomas, that dude is awesome)
-Why do we have a TE position if they do absolutely nothing on the field? I understand we have been hit by injuries there this year but that position has been invisible
-Will our offensive line ever gel?
-How much is Collins contributing to pollution with the amout of Waffle House cups he uses? Was that discussed in Glasgow this week?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
One thing that I am definitely going to take with a pretty big grain of salt going forward is the impact of transfers on the team. Cochran has been solid, McGowan great, but the others in the Collins' tenure have been less than impressive. We don't need to let high school recruiting stars influence us too much.
2 of our starting OL are transfers, with a 3rd playing heavy depth snaps. McGowan is the best receiver on the team. A starting LB along with a couple guys in the secondary who play a lot of snaps are transfers. Even our kicker (who actually gives us a chance to make FGs for the first time in 3 years) is a transfer. I can’t really agree with you at all here. Without the transfers we would be in a much worse position, especially on the OL. We’d be starting at least 3 first or second year players, and have multiple true freshmen playing a lot of depth snaps.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
- Lost 1 score games (Clemson, NIU, UVA) VA Tech was 9 points but we had a chance to win. Only game that was totall out of reach was Pitt. UVA game is eerily similar to ND of 2015 where we furiously came back at the end to make it closer than it felt
- QB (Sims) is making mistakes of a young QB, sometimes trying to do too much. You could tell JT knew the weight of the team was on his back all 2015 and it affected his play.
- Injuries have taken their toll. In 2015 it was the a-backs and b-backs, this year it is o-line and lack of depth at linebacker.
-DB's underporforming. We returned a pretty mature DB group in 2015 (Milton, White, Golden) that were not in 2014 form.

You make your own luck and it seems as if this team just creates bad luck. Much like last year and 2015, we are not only having to beat the other team, we are also playing against ourselves. Also, this year is an outlier of sorts with super seniors. Teams like bama and uga thrive on young talent, but Wake, Mich. State, Cincy have older rosters and have benefitted.

Hopefully marginal improvement in the little things over the spring and summer will equal big improvement next year. I have my doubts, but one can hope. One thing that I am definitely going to take with a pretty big grain of salt going forward is the impact of transfers on the team. Cochran has been solid, McGowan great, but the others in the Collins' tenure have been less than impressive. We don't need to let high school recruiting stars influence us too much. For every transfer like Kyler Murray there are 10 Tate Martells.

-What in the world are we going to do about line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball?
-What can we do to get impactful linebacker play? (with the exception of Charlie Thomas, that dude is awesome)
-Why do we have a TE position if they do absolutely nothing on the field? I understand we have been hit by injuries there this year but that position has been invisible
-How much is Collins contributing to pollution with the amout of Waffle House cups he uses? Was that discussed in Glasgow this week?
You are right about 2015. We lost 6 games by 7 or fewer points and another game by 8, if I remember. But two things were different about that year from this year. We finished #8 in the nation the previous year so expectations were sky high. That made the losses seem much worse. Second, in 2015 SB Nation’s Bill Connelly referred to us as “massively beaten up.” That was one of Tech’s worst years for injuries. It devastated any chances of duplicating the previous year’s results and many of the boo birds who had been temporarily silenced by 2014 were back in force.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of

A lot of good questions. For the offensive line in the future, I’m hopeful that ATL young players like Williams, Franklin, Pendley, and Paula start to form a line that has played together for years. I suspect they’ve been saving Franklin’s redshirt. Wouldn’t be surprised if we still look for a transfer or two for depth until the recruiting classes start providing more depth.