Where do we go from here?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
... No quick fix. Can't afford to fire or to keep Collins.
Ain't that a hell of a dilemma. I am still, reluctantly, willing to give the guy a chance, though I was agin' him when he was hired. But I shook it off, knowing my reaction was colored by a pro-Johnson bias. (Sue me, but I like a coach who threatens to punch an opponent in the face vs. one who threatens to out-style his opponent. Custom cut suit ... and sockless? Personally I think Collins should have gone full South Georgia and dumped the shoes, too.)

God help me but sometimes I wonder if the AD who hired him is smarter than we think, because now he has a football coach taking all the heat he should be getting. Can that be possible?

Only half a season left. Hurry, sundown.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
The only thing we can do is vote with our wallets. I will be giving my season tickets up too. The AD said if we wanted better football to pony up. Well I did. And I got screwed. I am not going to continue to drive 3.5 hours on Saturdays to Atlanta to watch this circus. I will be at home waiting for my ESPN app to give me hope. Once I get that notification that we are in the market for a new coach I hope my seats are still there ( I have no doubt that my seats will be empty)
I’m going to ‘pony up’ and not donate and be apathetic (but curious) until I see a sensible plan. Someone that insults the intelligence of the fans and alumni is a no go

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Ain't that a hell of a dilemma. I am still, reluctantly, willing to give the guy a chance, though I was agin' him when he was hired. But I shook it off, knowing my reaction was colored by a pro-Johnson bias. (Sue me, but I like a coach who threatens to punch an opponent in the face vs. one who threatens to out-style his opponent. Custom cut suit ... and sockless? Personally I think Collins should have gone full South Georgia and dumped the shoes, too.)

God help me but sometimes I wonder if the AD who hired him is smarter than we think, because now he has a football coach taking all the heat he should be getting. Can that be possible?

Only half a season left. Hurry, sundown.
We’re a developmental program for coaches

Animal02

Banned
The only thing we can do is vote with our wallets. I will be giving my season tickets up too. The AD said if we wanted better football to pony up. Well I did. And I got screwed. I am not going to continue to drive 3.5 hours on Saturdays to Atlanta to watch this circus. I will be at home waiting for my ESPN app to give me hope. Once I get that notification that we are in the market for a new coach I hope my seats are still there ( I have no doubt that my seats will be empty)
Reminds me of when I was at Tech....The AA pushed to increase the student fees that went to the AA, promising that facilities would be more open to students. Just a couple of months later.......the stadium was locked down (it used to be open all hours. Made me realize all those years ago what the AA was all about.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Actually, if we diverted some of the money spent on fancy buildings and facilities into coaching salaries and recruiting budgets, we'd have one now.
Facilities are a huge part of recruiting. Have you seen the facilities of the schools who actually recruit the best? We aren’t even in the same league, and that’s after the locker room renovation. Before that we weren’t even in the same solar system. Our weight room is still badly outdated, and the main training room and facilities in Edge have barely been updated since the 80s. It doesn’t matter how much time or effort you spend recruiting when everyone else is putting in the same time with way nicer facilities. I think that the facilities arms race is pretty garbage, and it has been just another way to prevent actual compensation by adding special “amenities” that regular students don’t have access to, but that’s the way the game is played. Our budget is stretched too thin and our facilities are too outdated to funnel money away from updating them.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Facilities are a huge part of recruiting. Have you seen the facilities of the schools who actually recruit the best? We aren’t even in the same league, and that’s after the locker room renovation. Before that we weren’t even in the same solar system. Our weight room is still badly outdated, and the main training room and facilities in Edge have barely been updated since the 80s. It doesn’t matter how much time or effort you spend recruiting when everyone else is putting in the same time with way nicer facilities. I think that the facilities arms race is pretty garbage, and it has been just another way to prevent actual compensation by adding special “amenities” that regular students don’t have access to, but that’s the way the game is played. Our budget is stretched too thin and our facilities are too outdated to funnel money away from updating them.
I know facilities help (they certainly can't hurt), and some of them had to be updated, but where we really screwed the pooch was throwing away that mountain of money on the installation of empty seats in BDS. Had we just spent some of those tens of millions on coaches salaries and recruiting, I believe we wouldn't be sitting where we are today, behind the eight ball. We might not have the money a lot of other programs have, but we also don't spend it very wisely IMO. Spending money on the stadium put the proverbial cart before the horse. Build the team, then the stadium.

Those schools that recruit the best have virtually unlimited amounts of money to spend on anything they like. They're not factories because of the facilities. They have the facilities because they're factories. We have to budget. We have to spend wisely.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
I know facilities help (they certainly can't hurt), and some of them had to be updated, but where we really screwed the pooch was throwing away that mountain of money on the installation of empty seats in BDS. Had we just spent some of those tens of millions on coaches salaries and recruiting, I believe we wouldn't be sitting where we are today, behind the eight ball. We might not have the money a lot of other programs have, but we also don't spend it very wisely IMO. Spending money on the stadium put the proverbial cart before the horse. Build the team, then the stadium.

Those schools that recruit the best have virtually unlimited amounts of money to spend on anything they like. They're not factories because of the facilities. They have the facilities because they're factories. We have to budget. We have to spend wisely.
There were so many wrong headed decision with what they did to the stadium. Putting corporate seats behind the opposing bench is another glaring mistake.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Facilities are a huge part of recruiting.
Are they? Or do we just assume they are? Here's the priority of what recruits are looking for ... in reverse order:

10. Uniforms. Uniforms don't play a huge role in a recruit's thinking. Yes, they are cool, but not really a factor.
9. Tradition and history. Winning attracts more talent, which equals to more winning.
8. Academics.Recruits are not likely to put a high emphasis on academics. It is used to seal the deal after they have decided other factors.
7. Head coaches. Recruits always weigh who the head coach and how stable he is. Also important is the quality of the position coach.
6. Facilities. Recruits want to know the digs of where they will be spending most of their time. Schools with average facilities can still recruit.
5. Scheme fit. Scheme fit is huge, and recruits really value this characteristic.
4. Distance. Staying close to home keeps recruits in familiar territory and in a familiar culture. (Bobby Dodd was big on recruiting Atlanta.)
3. Relationship with Recruiting Coach and Position Coach. The recruiting coach is not the position coach. Bad relationship and it doesn't matter.
2. Chances of early playing. For the most part, recruits want to go off to college and play right away.
1. NFL development. If a school has a history of putting out good players every year in the draft, then recruits are going to be interested.

If you listen to Nick Saban's recruiting pitch, it's this: Come to Alabama and you have a 100% chance of being drafted into the NFL. Come as a 5 star, and it's 80% likely you will be drafted in the first round. Give me 4 years, and I'll give you a shot at $25 million. His whole system is built around preparing athletes for the NFL.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Are they? Or do we just assume they are? Here's the priority of what recruits are looking for ... in reverse order:

10. Uniforms. Uniforms don't play a huge role in a recruit's thinking. Yes, they are cool, but not really a factor.
9. Tradition and history. Winning attracts more talent, which equals to more winning.
8. Academics.Recruits are not likely to put a high emphasis on academics. It is used to seal the deal after they have decided other factors.
7. Head coaches. Recruits always weigh who the head coach and how stable he is. Also important is the quality of the position coach.
6. Facilities. Recruits want to know the digs of where they will be spending most of their time. Schools with average facilities can still recruit.
5. Scheme fit. Scheme fit is huge, and recruits really value this characteristic.
4. Distance. Staying close to home keeps recruits in familiar territory and in a familiar culture. (Bobby Dodd was big on recruiting Atlanta.)
3. Relationship with Recruiting Coach and Position Coach. The recruiting coach is not the position coach. Bad relationship and it doesn't matter.
2. Chances of early playing. For the most part, recruits want to go off to college and play right away.
1. NFL development. If a school has a history of putting out good players every year in the draft, then recruits are going to be interested.

If you listen to Nick Saban's recruiting pitch, it's this: Come to Alabama and you have a 100% chance of being drafted into the NFL. Come as a 5 star, and it's 80% likely you will be drafted in the first round. Give me 4 years, and I'll give you a shot at $25 million. His whole system is built around preparing athletes for the NFL.
Even by your own list you have facilities as more important than who the head coach is. I'd say that's pretty durn significant

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you. I no longer have any emotion when I watch GT football. I used to get angry, concerned, etc., but now the only thing I feel is surprised if we win. The only thing CGC has given us is some really bad, record setting defeats. I'm currently watching a well coached Wake Forest team and think about the "What If" questions three years ago. I was going to go to the BC game but now I think I'll just go to the GT basketball game on Friday and spend Saturday just walking around the campus, which I haven't been to in 20 years. At least I'll get some enjoyment from it.
I remember when Saturdays made me nervous waiting for the game to start. I remember when watching Tech made my heart pound in my chest. I remember when everything felt sharper and every sense was heightened and even the stadium had a dozen different smells I could pick out. I remember when football season seemed long but now feels like it’s over before it starts. Probably a lot of this is just getting older. But some of it is that the last three years have caused me to not care any more. I am definitely in a new place I’ve never been before.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I cannot like this post enough!
I like it too Mountain, but the sad reality is apparent when looking at ugag. Their grad rate for football players is about as low as our W totals. Yet, the recruit's parents keep sending their sons to Kirby. This in spite of very low probabilities of their son going pro. CFB is and has been for sometime, a full bore $ game.
Think Oregon....did the wins come first and then as a result the $, or the $ first and then as a result the wins ? TStan has his hands full. You can bet he has identified a top 10 list of our wealthiest alumni, and as yet, no sugar daddy has come forth. We can only hope he can amass a sizable enough group of semi-sugar daddies, to achieve the same effect. It's ironic that high tech is the new billionaire maker, and we of all institutions, are lacking funds, at least as far as athletics go.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I like it too Mountain, but the sad reality is apparent when looking at ugag. Their grad rate for football players is about as low as our W totals. Yet, the recruit's parents keep sending their sons to Kirby. This in spite of very low probabilities of their son going pro. CFB is and has been for sometime, a full bore $ game.
Think Oregon....did the wins come first and then as a result the $, or the $ first and then as a result the wins ? TStan has his hands full. You can bet he has identified a top 10 list of our wealthiest alumni, and as yet, no sugar daddy has come forth. We can only hope he can amass a sizable enough group of semi-sugar daddies, to achieve the same effect. It's ironic that high tech is the new billionaire maker, and we of all institutions, are lacking funds, at least as far as athletics go.
I think the issue is we have had problems before in ATL getting a critical mass of Tech Companies, just 10 years ago only about 12% of Tech graduates found a job in Georgia. So yes we made the cogs but they all left to other states where those companies had exits and could reinvest in that startup ecosystem.
Fast forward now. We have over 60% of the graduates staying instate and Tech graduates more engineers than any school in the country. Midtown and ATL in general is turning into a powerful tech startup scene. The problem is it is going to take 5-15 years to get a lot of big exits that can both reinvest in other tech startups for the kids that are staying instate as well as give back to the school. But this all started when Tech moved across the interstate and kept investing in ATDC. Things are going to look completely different 10-15 years from now. Just like Midtown is completely different now than 10-15 years ago

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
After Dodd left in the 60s I was whining to my dad (a uga fan) that Tech was never going to be able to compete again. He assured me that technology was the wave of the future and Tech would be rolling in resources and players who wanted to go a cutting edge school. I’m still waiting for that Tech advantage because dad was never wrong 😊