Where do we go from here?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I can see why he hired Collins. He wanted to change the culture and improve recruiting, and Geoff fit the bill. He probably thought the guy could coach.
and the list of interested parties wasn't that long - i get it. I still do not buy (and I know this has been hashed and rehashed) that anyone needed to give him the contract that we did. He wasn't going to say no to a 5 year deal - to leave Temple ??? C'mon. That agent earned his money with that deal. Sucks for us...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
TV is ruining attendance. Almost all the games are on now. I do enjoy coming back to campus but only once a year now with a 6 hour drive.
There is a difference now with the student culture. I went to the wreck parade and saw most of the displays. The effort is just not there by these kids like it used to be. They are bright kids with a good future ahead of them but not into the traditional campus extracurriculars. I did not attend the tricycle race so maybe that is now the big deal. They come to the games late and leave early.

Animal02

Banned
TV is ruining attendance. Almost all the games are on now. I do enjoy coming back to campus but only once a year now with a 6 hour drive.
There is a difference now with the student culture. I went to the wreck parade and saw most of the displays. The effort is just not there by these kids like it used to be. They are bright kids with a good future ahead of them but not into the traditional campus extracurriculars. I did not attend the tricycle race so maybe that is now the big deal. They come to the games late and leave early.
I think a lot of changes WRT the wreck parade happened after the Olympics. The campus got "cleaned up" and lots of Frats expanded with the Olympic $$$ and parking became even more of a premium. The frat wrecks no longer sat parked out back and could be tinkered with (I don't think they are even allow to be stored on campus any more). 2nd issue is pre 2000, cars used for wrecks were ones from the 60s 70s. They were simpler mechanically, just about anyone could work on a motor, rebuild a carb., etc. with a basic set of tools. Now it is all computer driven and you need so many specialty tools to work on cars. I used to love wrenching my old cars back in the day.......now I would not know where to start. Any 60-70s cars left are now more valuable as a restoration than being cannibalized.

I remember going to my first Wreck parade after graduation......'99 and thinking WTF happened.......50% wrecks and 50% decorated cars.......last one I went to had one or two true "wrecks"

Animal02

Banned
I agree but we our soooo bad ours are on a network most don't have and can't watch
Yep.....the ACC wrt football didn't have that widespread appeal......then they tried cramming down the cable networks.......many didn't bite.....not going to pay extra to watch Duke lacrosse, VT swimming and BC soccer most of the year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
and the list of interested parties wasn't that long - i get it. I still do not buy (and I know this has been hashed and rehashed) that anyone needed to give him the contract that we did. He wasn't going to say no to a 5 year deal - to leave Temple ??? C'mon. That agent earned his money with that deal. Sucks for us...
Yeah, it wasn't like he was a hot commodity. He was HC at a G5 school for what, two years? And he didn't exactly set the world on fire there. Stansbury should have offered him 5 years, and if he was haughty enough to turn that down, he wasn't the guy for the job anyway. There have to be plenty of good coaches in the lower ranks who would have jumped at the chance to coach at a P5 with a 5-year contract. That's where all the good P5 coaches came from in the first place - the lower ranks.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, it wasn't like he was a hot commodity. He was HC at a G5 school for what, two years? And he didn't exactly set the world on fire there. Stansbury should have offered him 5 years, and if he was haughty enough to turn that down, he wasn't the guy for the job anyway. There have to be plenty of good coaches in the lower ranks who would have jumped at the chance to coach at a P5 with a 5-year contract. That's where all the good P5 coaches came from in the first place - the lower ranks.
The contract terms may end up costing ADTS his job...

Animal02

Banned
Said that from day one......he could have offered the same overall amount of money based on meeting certain benchmarks of improvement.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of changes WRT the wreck parade happened after the Olympics. The campus got "cleaned up" and lots of Frats expanded with the Olympic $$$ and parking became even more of a premium. The frat wrecks no longer sat parked out back and could be tinkered with (I don't think they are even allow to be stored on campus any more). 2nd issue is pre 2000, cars used for wrecks were ones from the 60s 70s. They were simpler mechanically, just about anyone could work on a motor, rebuild a carb., etc. with a basic set of tools. Now it is all computer driven and you need so many specialty tools to work on cars. I used to love wrenching my old cars back in the day.......now I would not know where to start. Any 60-70s cars left are now more valuable as a restoration than being cannibalized.

I remember going to my first Wreck parade after graduation......'99 and thinking WTF happened.......50% wrecks and 50% decorated cars.......last one I went to had one or two true "wrecks"
I also think this generation hasn't been around car repairs at home and certainly not in the schools. They were playing video games and surfing the internet. May be time to drop the wreck parade. I was surprised there weren't more electric vehicles eg golf carts that could be modified. I get it about storing those contraptions. They often were recycled each year and were an eyesore for 51 weeks.
The displays were bad too. We used to have movement and they were huge. Most of them now are really lame. Why bother?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
But do we really know how long the list was is the real thing. All we know is what our AD told the press and what was in the paper. How many times at other schools do you see them hiring someone out of the blue who was not on the so called list.I don't blame our AD for not saying who they are looking at but I do blame him for giving a 7 year deal to anyone. I hope he interviewed more than 1 or 2.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
I live in Florida and I have season tickets. I only make it to a couple of games a year. I saw the UNC/Pitt games this year - at least I saw a win. I plan on sticking with my season tickets. Here is my rationale.

#1 - I am a graduate of Tech and long time fan. My success in business was primarily driven by my education and experiences in Tech. My season tickets is one of the ways I give back to Tech.

#2 - I'm realistic on what to expect with Tech and our football success. I have been a Tech fan since 1975 when I was a freshman. We have had some great seasons since 1975, but not the consistently over a long period of time that we all want so much. Sure, our record could be a lot better but until our football budget increases dramatically, I don't see us being a Top 10 team anytime soon. The more people drop their season tickets, the harder it will be for us to compete. You need money to invest in coaches, recruiting, etc.

I agree with many of the comments here on our coaches. I don't see up dropping CGC for at least another 2 years. So, we need to live with him. If the defense doesn't improve over the remainder of the season, he will probably drop Thacker and maybe the secondary coach IMO.

I believe winning starts with the OL and DLs. I think we need to give Key time to develop the OL and see how they progress. By year 5, if the OL is still putrid, CGC will see the writing on the wall. We also need to give CGC time for his recruiting classes to grow old. We are not there yet. Too many teams churn coaches every 3 years to limited success. Let's not be one of those teams.

I'm not a fan of CGC but I like our improvements in recruiting. I just think we need to give time for these recruits to becomes SR/JRs. Lots of people on this board wanted Pastner fired during year 3. As him team got older, the wins came. Our problem is that our current football SR/JRs are either transfers or from the previous regime. I think we need to wait and see if CGC recruits improve once they get old.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But do we really know how long the list was is the real thing.
The list is going to be pretty short if you limit yourself to only guys with HC experience at the G5 level at minimum, or coaches with coordinator experience at the P5 level. I don't know if Stansbury did that, but those were the only names floating around. With our limited appeal, it was time to think outside the box. I am reasonably certain that there are all kinds of good coaches at the lower levels champing at the bit for a shot at a P5 school.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That's the problem. He doesn't need to coach. You think Dabo is a great coach?

Surround yourself with talented coaches and success will come. CGC could be very successful if his ego would let him see things how they are.
I agree with your post, but not sure about the ego part. I would imagine Collins would like to have good coordinators. He's better hire a couple of them fast.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been a Collins supporter but this has to change. The defensive performances are inexcusable. He’ll have to make changes.

Defense: my suggestion is Mike Macintyre. Two time COTY, former head coach, turned around the defenses at Fresno St, Colorado, & Ole Miss. Former GT letterman with Coach Coleman. He’s making less than Thacker currently.

Offense: More complicated. The main issue is the Oline. They need experience and depth. That will come in time and honestly the offense has improved. For continuity and stability purposes I’d remain. The offense has improved.

Animal02

Banned
The list is going to be pretty short if you limit yourself to only guys with HC experience at the G5 level at minimum, or coaches with coordinator experience at the P5 level. I don't know if Stansbury did that, but those were the only names floating around. With our limited appeal, it was time to think outside the box. I am reasonably certain that there are all kinds of good coaches at the lower levels champing at the bit for a shot at a P5 school.
Pretty sure the list was quite limited by the short sighted "money guys" who thought nothing of starving the program for 11 years.