Where do we go from here?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure the list was quite limited by the short sighted "money guys" who thought nothing of starving the program for 11 years.
How ironic it would be ironic if the big money ruins the program.

I still have hope, but it's hanging by a thread.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure the list was quite limited by the short sighted "money guys" who thought nothing of starving the program for 11 years.
Starving the program by only going to 2 Orange Bowls, 3 ACCCGs (1 win), and 9 bowl games over that stretch? I get people don't like watching the triple option or whatever, but suggesting CPJ had a solely negative impact on the GT football brand is pretty egregious.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Starving the program by only going to 2 Orange Bowls, 3 ACCCGs (1 win), and 9 bowl games over that stretch? I get people don't like watching the triple option or whatever, but suggesting CPJ had a solely negative impact on the GT football brand is pretty egregious.
Rereading, you may have been talking about the "money guys" not giving as much during the CPJ years, and not about CPJ starving the program. In which case, I agree. We were severely underfunded while CPJ was here and he made the most of it.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I believe Animal isn't speaking about Johnson, rather the opposite. He's saying that johnson succeeded IN SPITE of the fact that the money guys starved the program, and johnson was not able to hire as many staff as he wanted or the specific guys he wanted.

Animal02

Banned
You mistook what I was saying. The $$$ guys starved the program. Spending on football dropped from above average in the ACC when CPJ was hired, to 2nd to last in his last year. All the whining about him being a poor recruiter is mostly garbage. He didn't have the $$$ to recruit like the rest of the league.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I am bewildered after what I saw on D early in the VT game. We started with the 3-3-5. VT usually lined up with a TE on the line and a back (H-back or TE type?) close in to the tackle away from the TE. That is 7 big people in the box for VT on O. We spread our 3 D people out creating huge holes for the LB's to cover. We had a small LB on one outside and a DB on the other to match up with VT's 6 lineman and large H-b or TE in a tight flank. WE were outmanned greatly and our inside LB's were covering big gaps. We got gashed on first down over and over for 5-7 yards. Later we went to the 4-2-5. For a while it got better but we were still outmanned. What I noticed was our DE in the 3-3-5 lined up on the TE, not DT, on one side creating two holes for the LB to cover. Most of the tackles were made from the off side LB from the back side resulting in the big gains on first down. Since we rarely put our own TE on the line I am sure we practice with our DE's on the DT. Moving them out on a TE on the line creates a very large gap. I did not understand this alignment by us? It sure helps the opposition's run game. It seems we need the DE's on the tackles and a heavy weight LB on the line on the TE. I fear we are putting C Thomas in that spot off the line at 206lb and a DB on the other side against the big H-B/TE. Did I miss something?. I suspect this is what NIU did to us and we learned nothing!

Jmonty71

Banned
this is illogical at best. A HC's success is ultimately determined by his assistant coaches and I know both CGC and TStan know this. In fact, wasn't Coach Pastner aided by the AD at the time who insisted that he hire experienced assistants? We have guys here who follow BB closer than I do who can correct me if I am wrong. If you want to make the claim that CGC made bad hiring decisions then I won't push back on that. But to claim he did so willingly is incredulous (to use the kindest words I can think of at this moment).
Illogical yes.... But, I have seen many of folks, that did not hire people that were more talented than them, out of fear of being replaced. I often call these type of people "Teflon People". Because nothing sticks to them... They blame and make up things as why they fail, or just dance around the issue, all together. Now.... a sane person.... would hire the best, to get the best... As a manager, I hire people, train them and let them do their jobs... It works out well. However; my road did involve lots of bad managers that were more worried about making themselves look good, more than helping their folks look good. A wise person once told... a sign a good manager is seeing the number of people promoted under them. (my dad)......

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I just looked at salaries. Venables, the DC at Clemson, makes about double what our entire defensive staff makes. He makes $2.5 million/year. When we are paying our DC $2 million/year less, do we really think we are going to have a top notch DC? And Thacker makes more than Patenaude. Key is the highest paid assistant, and in my opinion, the most under performing assistant on offense.
We are at bottom of donations and ticket sales yet nonAnimal and Cheese are suprisrd se don't have a stud coaching staff.

The old staff was at bottom of salary as well.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
AB0EE1C4-41D9-448F-8064-EE59C903D76D.jpg

I don’t know where we go but our homepage experience sure doesn’t paint the picture of a rosy, unified fan base

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This may be one of those times when there is a "team only" meeting to air out grievances. Actually should have happened after Pitt. These kids need something to play for even if only for pride.
I noticed a highly touted transfer player at the KSU game who stood several feet away from a team huddle during a timeout when the coaches were going over strategy. A former 4* that looked like he has checked out. Never hear his name called and don't see him on the field much.
There are some dynamics that we probably don't know about. Not surprised with only 3 wins. They may have lost confidence and some not drinking the Kool aid. These kids aren't dumb.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
View attachment 11528

I don’t know where we go but our homepage experience sure doesn’t paint the picture of a rosy, unified fan base
We cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear my friend. This post is a synopsis of the GT fan base mindset. Y'all want all the creature comforts and fancy trapping that the other school's boards have but yet, when it comes to our salaries and perks, I know for a fact that we are working for peanuts here at GtSwarm. In fact, we are near the bottom of the pay list for all P5 boards. But yet y'all want Bama board results.If you want to compete with the elite boards, well then somebody has to pony up!

:p

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We are at bottom of donations and ticket sales yet nonAnimal and Cheese are suprisrd se don't have a stud coaching staff.

The old staff was at bottom of salary as well.
Actually, if we diverted some of the money spent on fancy buildings and facilities into coaching salaries and recruiting budgets, we'd have one now.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Actually, if we diverted some of the money spent on fancy buildings and facilities into coaching salaries and recruiting budgets, we'd have one now.
If you read the Talent Code, one of the perspectives they looked at was quality of facilities. All of the best individuals and/or teams trained in primitive facilities. The emphasis was on coaching and learning correct movement. They beat the snot out of their rivals.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear my friend. This post is a synopsis of the GT fan base mindset. Y'all want all the creature comforts and fancy trapping that the other school's boards have but yet, when it comes to our salaries and perks, I know for a fact that we are working for peanuts here at GtSwarm. In fact, we are near the bottom of the pay list for all P5 boards. But yet y'all want Bama board results.If you want to compete with the elite boards, well then somebody has to pony up!

:p
I'm content with what we've got. No money for an upgrade. We'll extend you for another year at present salary.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You mistook what I was saying. The $$$ guys starved the program. Spending on football dropped from above average in the ACC when CPJ was hired, to 2nd to last in his last year. All the whining about him being a poor recruiter is mostly garbage. He didn't have the $$$ to recruit like the rest of the league.
I wondered how good a recruiter Paul was. But with his puny recruiting budget, we'll never know...

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
To back up your point, PJ pled to get more help in the recruiting office and efforts. I think TStan was trying to help. MBob, though ....