Where do we go from here?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Who's in charge of hiring assistant coaches?
I just looked at salaries. Venables, the DC at Clemson, makes about double what our entire defensive staff makes. He makes $2.5 million/year. When we are paying our DC $2 million/year less, do we really think we are going to have a top notch DC? And Thacker makes more than Patenaude. Key is the highest paid assistant, and in my opinion, the most under performing assistant on offense.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I generally have calmed down, but I got pissed today when he made that call to go in 4th with 11 min left down 6. It was a bad call for a number of reasons, but then the decision to just run straight at a defense that had stuffed you on two prior plays was just astonishing.

I didn't see the game but going 4 for15 on 3rd/4th down tells me the Offensive story. DEF is same old................

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If we need new coordinators, and I'm not saying we do or don't, we will only get good ones when we get good players for them to coach, good coordinators are not stupid. I will pass judgement on where this program is the end of year 5, that's just me, not saying anyone else should do same. Good crowds will start showing up at BDS year 5 or after and we start winning, even recruits are recognizing this based on their comments.
Watching Dabo have to talk to his fan base like they're students, telling them that their OC didn't just turn into a horrible OC in less than a year after coaching his offenses to 2 NC. There is a reason we gave CGC a 7 year contract and that reason has not changed. Turning this ship around was a much bigger job than so many of our fans have yet to recognize.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
If we need new coordinators, and I'm not saying we do or don't, we will only get good ones when we get good players for them to coach, good coordinators are not stupid. I will pass judgement on where this program is the end of year 5, that's just me, not saying anyone else should do same. Good crowds will start showing up at BDS year 5 or after and we start winning, even recruits are recognizing this based on their comments.
Watching Dabo have to talk to his fan base like they're students, telling them that their OC didn't just turn into a horrible OC in less than a year after coaching his offenses to 2 NC. There is a reason we gave CGC a 7 year contract and that reason has not changed. Turning this ship around was a much bigger job than so many of our fans have yet to recognize.
What do you see on Saturdays in year 3, that year 7 will be all unicorns and rainbows? And I'm not talking about Ws. I'm talking about the most basic of fundamentals that are directly due to coaching. Be specific please, I'm old.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I remeber when we would struggle on D under CPJ he mentioned simplifying the defense. Worked pretty good in 2012 with Charles Kelly, so I looked up where our old friend was to see how realistic it would be to get him back… he’s the co defensive coordinator at Bama :b

Animal02

Banned
Bull. There was no reason to "turn the ship around" THat is just excuse making for a coach that is in over is head and a AD that screwed the pooch on his contract.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What do you see on Saturdays in year 3, that year 7 will be all unicorns and rainbows? And I'm not talking about Ws. I'm talking about the most basic of fundamentals that are directly due to coaching. Be specific please, I'm old.
There are none. Yesterday, we again had to use a timeout because we have no substitution organization on the sideline. On another play Choice had to tackle Mason who was running on the field to be the 12th player. Year 3 and we are still as disorganized as mediocre high school teams. We also had yet another play where the entire defense was looking at the sideline when the ball was snapped.

Regarding the lines, Collins went out and loaded up on tall/fat boys and then bragged about our ”length and weight” and we now “look like a P5 team”. I’ve mentioned this before how many high school folks down my way were very surprised when GT offered an OLineman who is huge. The comments were that he is a big dude but wasn’t even one of the better OLinemen on his high school team. We’ll see. But my belief at this point after watching the OLine play is that size does not mean good.

Animal02

Banned
There are none. Yesterday, we again had to use a timeout because we have no substitution organization on the sideline. On another play Choice had to tackle Mason who was running on the field to be the 12th player. Year 3 and we are still as disorganized as mediocre high school teams. We also had yet another play where the entire defense was looking at the sideline when the ball was snapped.

Regarding the lines, Collins went out and loaded up on tall/fat boys and then bragged about our ”length and weight” and we now “look like a P5 team”. I’ve mentioned this before how many high school folks down my way were very surprised when GT offered an OLineman who is huge. The comments were that he is a big dude but wasn’t even one of the better OLinemen on his high school team. We’ll see. But my belief at this point after watching the OLine play is that size does not mean good.
But at least we don't run a H.S. offense.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I say don't change coordinators at this point. Give everyday till the end of next year. 8 wins or bust. 7 wins, everyone is gone.
Everybody wins.

That's with the understanding that no changes are possible at the end of this season.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I say don't change coordinators at this point. Give everyday till the end of next year. 8 wins or bust. 7 wins, everyone is gone.
Everybody wins.

That's with the understanding that no changes are possible at the end of this season.
Not sure how many more fans you would lose telling them wait till after next.
Now as for the coaches tell them that and I believe you would lose most of them before signing day.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hell I live 30 miles north of Tech have season tickets and really don t care about going to the games this year
Closing your eyes helps.
Sometimes i do .

But by coming to every game u begin to see things inside the game.
Wife like Ivey- not bad for a freshmen - has a wi ked step to go around the tackle - only used it once in vt. Could be good when we get some heft up middle.
Gibbs is magic. When Key had Paula drive down block to inside, gibbs lookled like going outside and then Gibbs vertical like lighting. The day he leaves will be sad.

Poorly performing defense is not a recent phenomenon, but this one is a head scratcher. The deep prevent safety when not needed showed up this week against a team w no great wr, slow rb and marginal qb.

Yea coaching strategy is wierd, but the mostly young squad are getting reps and growing up.

I was watching Austin Smith getting close to playing time at guard . Now just before season and he got minor and now a very serious injury. Gets a degree in may. Will he stay. Sure like Key

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching the Braves blow their lead...

The head scratching I have is the defense. Listening to Thacker and his key is disruptive plays. Tech has had few disruptive plays in the last few games. Is that coaching or is it players. Whatever it is, the defense is not performing.

I, like others, expected a defensive minded coach like CGC to improve the defense. In 2018 when all were complaining about CPJs defense, they were ranked 9th in overall defense. I was complaining like others.

Under CGC the rankings were 2019 - 12th, 2020 - 14th (next to last) and 2021 to date - 11th. That is what we would have classified at work as a classic F. I am not going say I know what the reason the defensive is worse under Collins and Thacker. To criticize this staff for underperforming on defense has nothing to do with the "rebuild of the century". There is data to suggest that this staff is over its head at the P5 level. To my eye, this is the worst defense I have seen at Grant Field in a while. Again, that has nothing to do with a rebuild. The question may be is would Woody have done a better job if Collins had kept him on staff? Or, for me, why does tackling seem to have taken a step backwards. Maybe ibeeballin sees this differently. But I do not see the defense taking good angles and making proper fills. The inability to be ready prior to snaps. The many instances the defensive backfield looks lost and uncovered receivers. Barking at each other after a play.

I would like to see improvement on defense after Thacker and Collins have assured us they know the problems and are going to fix them.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure like Key
Are you saying your like the job Key has done with the offensive line?

As I have said previously, I do not know how the offensive line grades out after a game, but the offensive line has been a weakness for the past 3 years. I really have not seen much improvement. They can get no push. Missed assignments. I know there have been many injuries. But tell me why I should believe Tech has reason to like where the OL is headed.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We tackle above the waist rather than wrapping or taking out their legs. Maybe the idea is to strip the ball out. Hasn't worked recently and several yards gained after first contact. VT was blowing us off the ball for easy 4+ easy yards. We can't seem to get a push like that or a lineman we can run behind for a guaranteed couple of yards like Shaq Mason. Needed that on the 4th down and 2. Would have made it a game.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
But doesn’t Clemson have all 4 & 5 star players?

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching the Braves blow their lead...

The head scratching I have is the defense. Listening to Thacker and his key is disruptive plays. Tech has had few disruptive plays in the last few games. Is that coaching or is it players. Whatever it is, the defense is not performing.

I, like others, expected a defensive minded coach like CGC to improve the defense. In 2018 when all were complaining about CPJs defense, they were ranked 9th in overall defense. I was complaining like others.

Under CGC the rankings were 2019 - 12th, 2020 - 14th (next to last) and 2021 to date - 11th. That is what we would have classified at work as a classic F. I am not going say I know what the reason the defensive is worse under Collins and Thacker. To criticize this staff for underperforming on defense has nothing to do with the "rebuild of the century". There is data to suggest that this staff is over its head at the P5 level. To my eye, this is the worst defense I have seen at Grant Field in a while. Again, that has nothing to do with a rebuild. The question may be is would Woody have done a better job if Collins had kept him on staff? Or, for me, why does tackling seem to have taken a step backwards. Maybe ibeeballin sees this differently. But I do not see the defense taking good angles and making proper fills. The inability to be ready prior to snaps. The many instances the defensive backfield looks lost and uncovered receivers. Barking at each other after a play.

I would like to see improvement on defense after Thacker and Collins have assured us they know the problems and are going to fix them.
Good point, what is the official story for why the defense needed a major rebuild?

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
On every post I made being critical of this staff...You said you can't have an opinion o=because you dont have stats to back it up...well..here we are sitting on three wins yet again...so where are your stats?
Amen...I was saying some of the same things...!