When Should Hall Leave?

When Should Hall Leave? What would you do as AD given the information you have?

• Whenever he wants.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • When his current contract runs out in 2021.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • When Colin is done playing for GT (2020 or 2021).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • At the end of this 2018 season regardless of record. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • At the end of this 2018 season if we don't make NCAAs. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Today. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Before this season.

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Braga does look like a great candidate.

It’s tough letting a long term coach go. And I honestly haven’t followed the program close enough to have much opinion on what is going south and why.

I think Hall has done some great things here and I think we were lucky we got him after Morris left us for Miami.

I won’t be upset if he stays or goes. Part of that decision might include gauging the interest of potential candidates though.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Whenever the new regime arrives.... I believe it will have a lot of headwind to overcome to get to "elite" status again. I suppose there are lots of opinions on how much of that headwind is Hall's doing. I'm of the view... some is & that's going to be the easy part.

College baseball has changed a lot. It is much more competitive. More haves & have nots. The landscape is more like that of FB & Basketball. Not the same as.... but closer to it than it was 10 or so years ago.

Just a feeling I have. I am really no expert.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Whenever the new regime arrives.... I believe it will have a lot of headwind to overcome to get to "elite" status again. I suppose there are lots of opinions on how much of that headwind is Hall's doing. I'm of the view... some is & that's going to be the easy part.

College baseball has changed a lot. It is much more competitive. More haves & have nots. The landscape is more like that of FB & Basketball. Not the same as.... but closer to it than it was 10 or so years ago.

Just a feeling I have. I am really no expert.
An interesting question. I do think northern baseball programs are much more competitive than they used to be. I think the change in the timing of the season probably helped them some. Playing any Big Ten team used to be thought of as an automatic win. Now, not so much. (see Pitt for another example)

The game in the south has increased in popularity in the last 15-20 years pretty dramatically. Alex Box Stadium in Baton Rouge is notoriously well attended. So I am not sure why the competitive landscape may have changed as much as you suggest. Interesting thought though....

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
p>

Hey Todd:

Last edited:

markysparky

Georgia Tech Fan
So if he were to go who do y’all think we can get to replace him?
When that happens (sooner than later, I hope and pray), I think it would be smart to look for someone who's been successful as an assistant coach and someone who could really energize the program. And a risk taker from outside the ACC and SEC.

In other words, someone like Monte Lee.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Seeing who Rice hires to replace Wayne Graham should be instructive as to who Tech could get to replace Hall.

Similar programs in many ways, though some key differences.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
It's interesting to look at when the downward slide began, but based on that chart earlier in this thread, I'd say 2010. If you go back and look at that year, it makes sense. That was a stacked team that should've been in the CWS no doubt (Mark Pope, Deck, Dietrich, Buck Farmer to name a few). At one point it was 40-9! Can you even imagine a record like that these days? We were hosting the regional and won the first 2 games. Then Alabama beat us, but we still had future high draft pick Jed Bradley rested and ready for the final game. Bama (by no means a traditional SEC baseball giant) came back and won again with their Game 1 starter pitching in relief and shut us down for the last 6 innings. Since that game, we've hosted one regional and not won any of them. I remember feeling sick over that regional loss and had no idea how it was going to all fall apart from that point.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
With the demise of the major athletic programs at Tech, Stansbury must feel like he is caught in a major rip tide. The inertia he has to overcome to turn the ship around is enormous. I often wonder what he feels like as he drives in every morning. Quick positive results are just not to be found. Hope he can keep a positive attitude because he is going to need it. Apathy among a lot of Tech fans has certainly set in and nothing can turn that around except winning. Baseball will be easiest, quickest turn around sport if he can/will make a change. Since it is non revenue, however, I personally think he could care less. Hope I am wrong. The head man currently at Northeastern could turn this baby around quickly. Having a Hall of Fame brother close by to tutor and recruit players would be a monumental asset as well.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's interesting to look at when the downward slide began, but based on that chart earlier in this thread, I'd say 2010. If you go back and look at that year, it makes sense. That was a stacked team that should've been in the CWS no doubt (Mark Pope, Deck, Dietrich, Buck Farmer to name a few). At one point it was 40-9! Can you even imagine a record like that these days? We were hosting the regional and won the first 2 games. Then Alabama beat us, but we still had future high draft pick Jed Bradley rested and ready for the final game. Bama (by no means a traditional SEC baseball giant) came back and won again with their Game 1 starter pitching in relief and shut us down for the last 6 innings. Since that game, we've hosted one regional and not won any of them. I remember feeling sick over that regional loss and had no idea how it was going to all fall apart from that point.

Honestly, that 2010 team should have AT WORST made it to Omaha if not win the whole thing. Look at these players:
Pitchers-
Friday starter-Deck McGuire (1st rd pick and MLB time)
Saturday starter-Brandon Cumpton (MLB time)
Sunday starter-Jed Bradley (MLB time)
Closer-Mark Pope (MILB time)
Midweek starter-Buck Farmer (MLB time)
Main reliever-Andrew Robinson (might still be in MILB)

Offense:
C-Cole Leonida (may still be in MILB)
1B-Tony Plagman (MILB time)
2B-Jacob Esch (MLB time...albeit as a pitcher)
SS-Derek Dietrich (with Marlins)
3B-Matt Skole (made MLB debut today with White Sox)
LF-Brandon Thomas (MILB time)
CF-Jeff Rowland (MILB time)
RF-Chase Burnette (MILB time)
DH-Thomas Nichols (MILB time)

I went to a lot of games that year bc of how good they were. What a huge disappointment to end their season in the regional. 10 players were drafted in the 2010 draft (had to look that up).

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I went to a lot of games that year too, including all of the regional. We were 2-0 in the regional and Alabama beat us twice. In the final game, Bama sent in a pitcher who already thrown 99 pitches earlier in the regional and he ended up getting the W in the final game while racking up another 100+ pitches. It's so crazy how our offense tanks in the most clutch moments.