When Should Hall Leave?

When Should Hall Leave? What would you do as AD given the information you have?

• Whenever he wants.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • When his current contract runs out in 2021.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • When Colin is done playing for GT (2020 or 2021).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • At the end of this 2018 season regardless of record. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • At the end of this 2018 season if we don't make NCAAs. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Today. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Before this season.

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Awesome for Blackwood!! He was my favorite player as a kid. My parents got me a Tech jersey at a game and my mom offered to stitch his name and number into the back. I got to be bat boy for one game during the CWS season and I wore that jersey for the game. He was nice enough to take pictures with me on the field after the game.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
"It all starts with me" is the quote in the fish wrap today. His responses in that article are disturbing to me. He strikes me as a deer in head lights. He's a lost cause.
Reminds me of several tenured professors that I had at Tech. They let the class know of their power and their dislike of teaching, but most of all, they let you know they were untouchable. How many more years of Hall & Stansbury huddling to figure out what is wrong with the program? Stansbury simply proving to the devout baseball supporters that he is just another political hack. And for those that say his hands are tied financially, he is the guy who approved the contract extension of the current regime. He had a chance to make a big splash early in his tenure by letting Hall go, but he failed miserably. Now we are stuck we several more years of being average or below. But we will huddle at the end of next year and quote in the AJC of how we are looking internally at everything in the program to see what we can do better. This type of coach speak has become an annual event that is nauseous at best.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
My in depth research has led to the conclusion that the contract extension was run by TS and he had his chance to alter the decision, but was alerted to the fact of the big 3 baseball donors wanting Hall to stay around. The actual extension was announced by the interim AD, but TS certainly was involved in the decision to retain Mr. Hall and indeed signed off on it in a very casual manner. He basically glossed over an extension that has become an albatross around the neck of the baseball program. If you think that TS was not aware of such extension and was not alerted to said fact, then your source concerning these events is severely lacking in factual evidence.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My in depth research has led to the conclusion that the contract extension was run by TS and he had his chance to alter the decision, but was alerted to the fact of the big 3 baseball donors wanting Hall to stay around. The actual extension was announced by the interim AD, but TS certainly was involved in the decision to retain Mr. Hall and indeed signed off on it in a very casual manner. He basically glossed over an extension that has become an albatross around the neck of the baseball program. If you think that TS was not aware of such extension and was not alerted to said fact, then your source concerning these events is severely lacking in factual evidence.
Thank you. I have no sources.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What would it take for the blindly support Hall crew on here to wake up? Seriously wondering.
I read most posts "on here" & I can count on one hand what I'd call "supporters" of Hall. ...& those are not "blindly" doing it. They have reasons that I may not understand or agree with... but it's not "blind" support (by my definition). It's reasoned support.

The poll on this thread indicates only about 10% think Hall should dictate when he leaves. The overwhelming majority (~70%) say he should already be gone.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
So what's the tipping point where this reasoned support is finally overruled? I guess maybe when we've missed the tourney like 6 out of 8 years.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So what's the tipping point where this reasoned support is finally overruled? I guess maybe when we've missed the tourney like 6 out of 8 years.
The short answer to that question is this forum has ZERO influence on where/when/how the Ga Tech baseball staff is managed/fired/hired. Hopefully.., I'm not breaking news or hearts with that revelation.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The short answer to that question is this forum has ZERO influence on where/when/how the Ga Tech baseball staff is managed/fired/hired. Hopefully.., I'm not breaking news or hearts with that revelation.
tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

I never said the board has influence on hiring/firing. Hell if it did he would’ve been canned 3 or4 mediocre seasons ago.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I read most posts "on here" & I can count on one hand what I'd call "supporters" of Hall. ...& those are not "blindly" doing it. They have reasons that I may not understand or agree with... but it's not "blind" support (by my definition). It's reasoned support.

The poll on this thread indicates only about 10% think Hall should dictate when he leaves. The overwhelming majority (~70%) say he should already be gone.
100% agree with this. I'm probably what @LargeFO and others would call a Hall supporter (and I am for the most part) but I would not have been shocked nor disappointed if he had been moved to an administrative position or outright fired at the end of the season. However, he's our coach for the foreseeable future so I'll continue to support him (as I said before I admit I'm a little biased towards him).

@dawgbasher I understand your thoughts that you think TStan shouldn't have extended him but I'd argue that alienating the 3 biggest donors as you pointed out would be a giant blunder walking into his job. Again, I trust in TStan. If you listen to a word he says you know he bleeds Old Gold & White. He's making a ton of moves that to me echo what Dr. Rice did when he came in. Now, is TStan going to do everything perfect? Of course not and it would be foolish for me to argue otherwise. I think you bring up some valuable points and I don't think you'd be out of line to clean it up a little and send it on to CDH and/or ADTS. You are clearly a big Tech fan so I doubt seriously that you want us to lose just to get rid of CDH.

To me it's like when Gailey was coach. I began to hate watching our games (especially vs. a certain school) but I still supported the program. I wasn't going online and calling for his head but you can bet there was a bunch of that discussion in our family (brothers and dad are all Tech fans). If he had turned it around then I would've been happy and would've shut my mouth.

With what we have coming back and coming in I truly expect us to be vastly improved. I doubt TStan will tolerate another under-performance. Heck, we were this close this year but we couldn't win a darn thing on the road. To me, that's between the ears as much as anything. A year of maturity should help correct that. If not I would be shocked if he's not shown the door in one way or another.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
The same rhetoric was posted after the 2017 season .......... we better clean it up and do better, yada yada yada. Now 2018 is done and we are saying the same thing. Then next year we will say the same thing. Maddening. Sorry, don't buy it. Everyone has their opinion and I respect that. I respect the hell out of @FredJacket and his enthusiasm, even though I disagree. I'll leave with a little story about basketball years back. Dwayne Morrison was coach and we had entered the ACC. We were terrible and an embarrassment. Most Tech fans just shrugged and said, "Oh well, we are in the ACC and just can't compete with the others." A local radio personality, Beau Boch started ranting daily on his show about how Tech could do better and should do bette and how Morrison had to go. He ranted every day. The Tech AA was basically publicly humiliated until they did something. Morrison was fired and a young Bobby Cremins was brought in. I think you know the rest of the story. If not, you may want to see Monte Lee at Clemson after Jumping' Jack Leggett was fired.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The same rhetoric was posted after the 2017 season .......... we better clean it up and do better, yada yada yada. Now 2018 is done and we are saying the same thing. Then next year we will say the same thing. Maddening. Sorry, don't buy it. Everyone has their opinion and I respect that. I respect the hell out of @FredJacket and his enthusiasm, even though I disagree. I'll leave with a little story about basketball years back. Dwayne Morrison was coach and we had entered the ACC. We were terrible and an embarrassment. Most Tech fans just shrugged and said, "Oh well, we are in the ACC and just can't compete with the others." A local radio personality, Beau Boch started ranting daily on his show about how Tech could do better and should do bette and how Morrison had to go. He ranted every day. The Tech AA was basically publicly humiliated until they did something. Morrison was fired and a young Bobby Cremins was brought in. I think you know the rest of the story. If not, you may want to see Monte Lee at Clemson after Jumping' Jack Leggett was fired.
Well, I think your comparison to Cremins is what I'm pointing to as well. That happened early in Dr. Rice's tenure as AD. I didn't know Dr. Rice (I met him several times when I was a student however), but I feel certain in saying that he wouldn't let a radio personality sway his opinion. It probably helped with the PR part of moving on from Morrison but I just don't see it swaying his decision. Those same talking heads wanted him to fire Bobby Ross if you recall and he stayed the course.

We'll see of course but one other thing I would point out is that TStan has seen a very good baseball program with limited resources up close and personal. Don't give up hope and keep fighting the good fight!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I do wonder if it is simply a $$$ decision....big $$ boosters like him (and they donate to the non-revenue sport). Not many GT fans care that much about baseball. Still has years left on his contract. Lots of $$$ reasons not to bother with replacing him. until someone powerful (and that counts me out) really makes some noise, I doubt much will change.