When Should Hall Leave?

When Should Hall Leave? What would you do as AD given the information you have?

• Whenever he wants.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • When his current contract runs out in 2021.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • When Colin is done playing for GT (2020 or 2021).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • At the end of this 2018 season regardless of record. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • At the end of this 2018 season if we don't make NCAAs. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Today. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Before this season.

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bill Curry would have never helped GT as an AD. He is not qualified.
I am a fan of Coach Curry in general but totally agree with this. He's a good ambassador for us in terms of his character but I don't think he would've been good as an AD in this day and age.

Also, TStan hasn't been on the job that long. Like it or not as baseball fans, he's going to concentrate his energy there for now because a) it's the engine that drives this entire thing (meaning the AA), and b) it's the most visible part of any program these days. That doesn't mean he isn't thinking about other sports, it's just not going to be the main push right now. Plus (as it's been stated many times) the big donors are behind CDH. I knew him when I was at Tech and he was always good to me personally so I admit I'm a little biased. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if he decided to take an admin job but I don't think letting him coach the next 1-2 years with what we have coming back and coming in is necessarily a bad move. I guess time will tell.

Also, all these people saying ex-players don't like him - you can find that about any coach. All in all, it's pretty clear that most ex-players (especially the high profile ones) still like and respect him. When he hit 1000 there were so many tributes/posts on Instagram (the only social media that I begrudgingly have) it really surprised me.

What I'm trying to say here is trust in TStan. He LOVES Tech. He knows what he's doing (he's proven it elsewhere). Give it a little time/breathing room. We're not that far away in baseball although it's been a while since we've done anything it's not like he's forgotten how to coach. It's also clear CDH is here at least for another year so the best we can do is pull for our Jackets as hard as we can.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am a fan of Coach Curry in general but totally agree with this. He's a good ambassador for us in terms of his character but I don't think he would've been good as an AD in this day and age.

Also, TStan hasn't been on the job that long. Like it or not as baseball fans, he's going to concentrate his energy there for now because a) it's the engine that drives this entire thing (meaning the AA), and b) it's the most visible part of any program these days. That doesn't mean he isn't thinking about other sports, it's just not going to be the main push right now. Plus (as it's been stated many times) the big donors are behind CDH. I knew him when I was at Tech and he was always good to me personally so I admit I'm a little biased. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if he decided to take an admin job but I don't think letting him coach the next 1-2 years with what we have coming back and coming in is necessarily a bad move. I guess time will tell.

Also, all these people saying ex-players don't like him - you can find that about any coach. All in all, it's pretty clear that most ex-players (especially the high profile ones) still like and respect him. When he hit 1000 there were so many tributes/posts on Instagram (the only social media that I begrudgingly have) it really surprised me.

What I'm trying to say here is trust in TStan. He LOVES Tech. He knows what he's doing (he's proven it elsewhere). Give it a little time/breathing room. We're not that far away in baseball although it's been a while since we've done anything it's not like he's forgotten how to coach. It's also clear CDH is here at least for another year so the best we can do is pull for our Jackets as hard as we can.
Good post....Great post. You need to probably been seen by a professional for being "reasonable" on such a forum. Something is clearly wrong with you. :)

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
We are not that far away in baseball ? Really ? Seven straight losing ACC seasons and we are on the right track in baseball? More CDH relatives and apologists out there than I thought. Tech will be irrelevant on a national scale until current regime is gone. You can take that to the bank.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We are not that far away in baseball ? Really ? Seven straight losing ACC seasons and we are on the right track in baseball? More CDH relatives and apologists out there than I thought. Tech will be irrelevant on a national scale until current regime is gone. You can take that to the bank.

I have to agree with this. We’re a long way away from where we used to be. And where we used to be was choking in the tournament after good regular seasons.

We had talent this year- no one can dispute that. And the NCAAT has confirmed what we suspected- the ACC was on the lower side of mediocre this year and we still couldn’t manage a top-half finish or a winning record (and haven’t in years).

The chart is above. How do we know he hasn’t “forgotten how to coach”? I mean, he can still fill out a lineup card, but I’m not sure what evidence there is that he can get the most out of his players.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just think about this...the ACC has underperformed in the NCAA this year (badly) as well as in recent seasons. And even with an ACC that is clearly the weakest of the Power 5 conferences, we weren't able to scratch out a 0.500 record.

Sad!

Bill Curry would be better than what GT has had recently as AD and though he wasn’t a great football coach he had Bobby Dodd on his side and when CBC took over GT football was a sinking ship.
The entire athletics department at Tech was a sinking ship due the incompetence of Dodd as AD. OBVIOUSLY a GREAT coach, but the worst AD Tech has ever had, and that would include Braine-dead and MBob.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
After reading the Stansbury love fest article in regards to Danny Hall, I have lost respect for him. He fires other coaches of lesser sports like softball and volleyball, yet stands behind a SEVEN year ACC losing record by Hall. Sorry Stansbury, not buying your logic. You will not be around long if that is how you are going to handle things. Don't be calling me for financial support if your thought process about retaining Hall is as you say in the article. Repugnant. GT baseball fans and the school deserve better. Oh, I forgot. Hall has two boys on the team. What was I thinking? Certainly don't want to cause the family any emotional distress since Hall ONLY makes $390K per year plus perks. This line of reasoning by an AD is EXACTLY why Tech is in dire straits and a fan base that is mostly apathetic towards all athletics at the moment. Better learn to grow a pair Stansbury because real fans looking at trends and statistics are going to call your bluff on the inactions toward Hall. Bet the rest of the ACC baseball coaches and Strickland at UGA just felt a huge sigh of relief.

Deleted member 2897

After reading the Stansbury love fest article in regards to Danny Hall, I have lost respect for him. He fires other coaches of lesser sports like softball and volleyball, yet stands behind a SEVEN year ACC losing record by Hall. Sorry Stansbury, not buying your logic. You will not be around long if that is how you are going to handle things. Don't be calling me for financial support if your thought process about retaining Hall is as you say in the article. Repugnant. GT baseball fans and the school deserve better. Oh, I forgot. Hall has two boys on the team. What was I thinking? Certainly don't want to cause the family any emotional distress since Hall ONLY makes $390K per year plus perks. This line of reasoning by an AD is EXACTLY why Tech is in dire straits and a fan base that is mostly apathetic towards all athletics at the moment. Better learn to grow a pair Stansbury because real fans looking at trends and statistics are going to call your bluff on the inactions toward Hall. Bet the rest of the ACC baseball coaches and Strickland at UGA just felt a huge sigh of relief.

Stansbury's view on this is poor in my opinion. And I say this as someone who holds Todd in extremely high regard. Last year wasn't just a one time thing. As he well knows, we've been in a slide for awhile. And we have THE #1 top, most important thing IN OUR FAVOR, unlike most other Tech teams - highly rated recruiting talent. And, he also reminds everyone that they actually started looking at what they needed to do a year ago. And yet NOTHING CHANGED. He sat down with Danny Hall around a year ago to map out what they needed to move the needle, and Danny Hall was unable to get it done. That, after such a long string of underperforming teams, to me should have been the 'The End'. If we had lesser talent, or other things that were holding us back and we could point to an uptick in something, I would feel differently. I do value two-way loyalty and making decisions without emotion. But when I read this interview, its plain to me we could keep losing games until infinite, and as long as Danny Hall doesn't change anything, he's good to go, because Todd Stansbury likes the way he does things.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just really hope the program can survive the last years of the CDH era. Something consistently great (at least in the regular season) is being turned into something consistently mediocre. I was optimistic that if CDH left this year or last that the program could rebound. Not sure I'll feel that way after a couple more years of this.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Tech baseball needs a Pastner type coach without the Pastner drama. Someone who can recruit and get the fans lining up to buy tickets. I like Stansbury, but I feel that he has taken a step backward on this one. Or maybe part of the problem is that we are trying to raise millions of dollars for improvements and there is no interest going to the donors asking for more money to hire a new coach while paying off the current guy. Tech needs to stop making these mistakes with contract extensions.