When Should Hall Leave?

When Should Hall Leave? What would you do as AD given the information you have?

• Whenever he wants.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • When his current contract runs out in 2021.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • When Colin is done playing for GT (2020 or 2021).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • At the end of this 2018 season regardless of record. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • At the end of this 2018 season if we don't make NCAAs. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Today. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Before this season.

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sometimes the downward trend is not the Coach's fault. There are other factors like (1) the ACC is much tougher than it was ten years ago and (2) GT is the most unforgiving school in the conference when academics are concerned.

Then I would say that - A) if other teams are better but you are not, then you have failed to improve and keep up with the competition and B) GT has ALWAYS been the most unforgiving school.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm glad you brought up those run expectation tables. I've seen those too. I need to know if those tables "remove" innings where sac bunts occurred. If not... then the "expected" run numbers include runs produced from sac bunts. Am I wrong or would that make use of that data to show the flaw in sac bunting flawed?

BTW... data not withstanding, I agree with your general "situations" where sac bunting is ok.

The run expectation tables I saw were general, no situations excepted.

And I congratulate you for your excellent judgment in agreeing with me, Fred.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think ‘specific’ run tables would be any more useful. You can see how a sac helps you (for example) by comparing runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. All the successful sacrifices have now moved into that second category. You just have to figure out the odds of a successful sacrifice or single or failed sacrifice, which will be batter dependent.

I’ve also seen several of our guys get 2 strikes trying to bunt and then strike out or hit into a double play. Would you classify that as a bunt attempt or swinging attempt?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think ‘specific’ run tables would be any more useful. You can see how a sac helps you (for example) by comparing runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. All the successful sacrifices have now moved into that second category. You just have to figure out the odds of a successful sacrifice or single or failed sacrifice, which will be batter dependent.

I’ve also seen several of our guys get 2 strikes trying to bunt and then strike out or hit into a double play. Would you classify that as a bunt attempt or swinging attempt?
Failed bunts are the most infuriating thing as a fan. It's like jaywalking (seems easy enough)...BUT if you're going to do it, you better f'ing execute...or ELSE.

I'm not saying those tables are worthless. It's good data. But when specifically applied to comparing whether to SAC bunt or not, the comparative numbers are closer together if sac bunts are not removed. Beyond that... it really does come down to situation (point in game, score, players involved, etc).

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
BUT if you're going to do it, you better f'ing execute...or ELSE.
What the tables don't tell you is what happens when they don't get the bunt down. I've seen it seems that dozens of these, and the batter is always behind in the count, and it seems like it is never a good outcome. Almost an automatic out.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Alright, here's the updated chart, since my rather pessimistic midseason projections ended up being too optimistic. I've also added the actual wins each season as a line, in addition to the running average as points. I also think I had a typo with the number of wins one year (I had to type it in manually), but it should be correct now.

8406492.png

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Alright, here's the updated chart, since my rather pessimistic midseason projections ended up being too optimistic. I've also added the actual wins each season as a line, in addition to the running average as points. I also think I had a typo with the number of wins one year (I had to type it in manually), but it should be correct now.

8406492.png
Need to email Tstan that

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I think part of the problem is with the word "sacrifice". It is applied after the bunt attempt.

If the bunt results in an out, it is a "sacrifice". If the bunt results in a hit, it's called an in-field hit.

Thus, is sacrifices are defined as those attempts which end in outs, but advance the runner. I agree they are bad. But some of those bunts end up in both advancing the runner and getting an in-field hit.

We should only bunt in an attempt to advance the runner if the batter is good at bunting and fast. If Nick Wilhite could become a great bunter, he is fast enough that he could raise his batting average attempting to bunt 1/2 the time!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'm not too confident that e-mailing TStan is gonna change much. Way too much of the admin is like the several posters on here who are infatuated with Hall and think he should stay till he's 80 no matter how crappy the program has become. It's infuriating and sad but guess it is what it is.

Buzzzard

Georgia Tech Fan
Whenever the time comes, it will take a very motivated individual who can inspire the fan base and deal with an apathetic administration who doesn't realize the branding power of winning.