When Should Hall Leave?

When Should Hall Leave? What would you do as AD given the information you have?

• Whenever he wants.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • When his current contract runs out in 2021.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • When Colin is done playing for GT (2020 or 2021).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • At the end of this 2018 season regardless of record. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • At the end of this 2018 season if we don't make NCAAs. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Today. Whether Hall's choice or the AD's.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Before this season.

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll put my chart up again. I have the 2018 data in, although it's (obviously) provisional. It assumes we'll play 3 games in the ACCT, no NCAAT (we won't be projected in by anyone at this point), and that our winning % doesn't change for the remainder of the year.
608hRH.jpg

Poll closed yesterday.

Your graph looks pretty prescient.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I'm an old guy who gave 32 years to my employer. I think loyalty should be very highly valued. I know a lot of young people are job hoppers today and don't know the meaning or value of loyalty. I was allowed to retire on my terms and would have been pissed if it was otherwise. Hall should be given the same treatment as I was and see his sons play for him.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am actually surprised it wasn't more lopsided. There were 18 votes to allow Hall to stay on, and 43 to get rid of him. Apparently 30% (18/61) of the GT baseball fanbase are sentimental slobs. (No disrespect intended.)

Deleted member 2897

We pushed Ted Roof out when his son was still here. I don’t think Hall’s sons here will ultimately factor in. I think he should retire, so we can give him a going away celebration ththe way he deserves. But on the game last night, the color commentators said in pre-game interviews Hall was saying how excited he was about next year. That doesn’t sound like someone contemplating retirement.

We won another game by more than 3 runs, and lost another by less than 3. We are about twice as likely to lose by less than 3 than to win by less than 3. When your overall record is above 0.500, that tells me we continue to struggle with in-game decisions and play to get over the hump.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I'm an old guy who gave 32 years to my employer. I think loyalty should be very highly valued. I know a lot of young people are job hoppers today and don't know the meaning or value of loyalty. I was allowed to retire on my terms and would have been pissed if it was otherwise. Hall should be given the same treatment as I was and see his sons play for him.
Nope

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Slope of data points almost suggest a "free fall" situation. Say it ain't so Joe. Omaha seems like an insurmountable mountain to climb at this point. Hope Tech can make it back to Omaha with next regime. Better yet, hope I live to see next regime.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Slope of data points almost suggest a "free fall" situation. Say it ain't so Joe. Omaha seems like an insurmountable mountain to climb at this point. Hope Tech can make it back to Omaha with next regime. Better yet, hope I live to see next regime.
What bothers me the most, I think, is that GT has perhaps the most dominant single pitcher in the ACC this year in Connor Thomas, and yet will again have a losing record in the conference. That is simply ridiculous.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I hope to see the present regime in Omaha. I don't know if I will be here for the next regime. Last night Hughes had his best outing since his surgery. He and English were both slated to be very high draft choices out of high school. Both developed arm problems that led to the pros backing off and allowing us to get them. Both are coming off surgery, and I hope that by next year they will be 100% again. We have another highly rated lefty signed for next year and hope the pros don't get him. All but Bailey and Bart should return as position players next year, and hopefully Carter Hall will be able to come back to health.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope to see the present regime in Omaha. I don't know if I will be here for the next regime. Last night Hughes had his best outing since his surgery. He and English were both slated to be very high draft choices out of high school. Both developed arm problems that led to the pros backing off and allowing us to get them. Both are coming off surgery, and I hope that by next year they will be 100% again. We have another highly rated lefty signed for next year and hope the pros don't get him. All but Bailey and Bart should return as position players next year, and hopefully Carter Hall will be able to come back to health.

I had the hope of improvement coming into this year for our pitching. It didn't happen overall. A couple have problems, it's bad luck. When most do it isn't just luck. The Arms 2018

After the year is done, I can go back and post the ERA and WHIP for each returning pitcher. I think it will substantiate what I said in that post. I do hope that Lake Woebegone strikes us next year and everyone, including Hughes and English, are above average.

Bailey will be hard to replace given his defensive consistency (he has a great bat too but we can replace it seems).

Bart will be sorely missed. I think I heard last night that McCann was 0-5 this year in throwing out stealing attempts. Also, Bart calls the pitches according to WREK announcers. I think Bart's directing of the defense will be missed too. But NO #2 projected pick for the MLB draft don't have a fall off with their replacement!

markysparky

Georgia Tech Fan
There are limits to what loyalty affords, and I think that horse left the barn. His sons are more than welcome to join him at his new gig. Being a head coach is not an entitlement program.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Right now. The post-game presser would've been a great opportunity to retire. As a second choice, he may also have free time tomorrow or Thursday to make the announcement. As a third choice, the post-game presser on Friday.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Right now. The post-game presser would've been a great opportunity to retire. As a second choice, he may also have free time tomorrow or Thursday to make the announcement. As a third choice, the post-game presser on Friday.
I don't think he would do anything while the ACC Tournament is still running...it is frowned upon in league circles to do anything that distracts from the championship tourney.

Besides, I don't think he will willingly retire as long as his sons are there.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
He will not retire/resign as long as the big three are still in his corner and I can assure you that they are. No amount of wishing will make resolve this matter unfortunately. I will still go to Omaha every year as I always do and note how much better the top programs are as compared to ours. Tech will be great one day in baseball, I really believe that. Just not with the leadership that is presently on board.

Deleted member 2897

Mmmmmm, I dunno. I think after everyone is done playing is a better time. Let Stansbury and Hall get together and debrief the season. They met last offseason to try and figure out how to move the needle and the result as I recall was 'try harder'. That's not actually a thing. Look at how energized the defense is this year on the football team by all the new blood in coaching. I really really hope he will retire, because I'd rather not have to fire him. We were already on a downturn years ago, they met to fix the problems, and it didn't work.

On a flipside, has Stansbury ever fired a coach in any sport at any job he's had? I don't know the answer, so I'm honestly asking.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
On a flipside, has Stansbury ever fired a coach in any sport at any job he's had? I don't know the answer, so I'm honestly asking.
I'm not positive, but I think he is the one that fired the previous women's softball coach. It may be that he only hired the replacement.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I was speaking out of jest and frustration. I don't know how much much longer I can sustain interest in GT baseball under the current regime. It sucks to see so much talent do so little.