#VTvsGT Homecoming Postgame Thread

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Anyone have any idea what is going on with Sims throwing so many balls in the ground in front of receivers that appear to be open? He's been doing it all year long and it is costing us games it appears to me because drives are dying because of it. Also defenses appear to be giving us the long ball and we do not seem to take advantage of it.

Scubapro

Banned
Anyone have any idea what is going on with Sims throwing so many balls in the ground in front of receivers that appear to be open? He's been doing it all year long and it is costing us games it appears to me because drives are dying because of it. Also defenses appear to be giving us the long ball and we do not seem to take advantage of it.
IDK...one play was a throw out to the flats, the defender was there ready to make the tackle. He threw it at the receivers feet. If completed would have resulted in a two to three yard loss. IMO this was a heads up play.
The other times I can't exactly remember.
At times it seems Sims is not confident in his throws. I can speculate as to why but only he knows for sure as to why.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
This is one of those games where I am glad I don't have access to the Bally RSN. Listened to the 1st quarter, turned it off and took my kid to a carnival to ride the rides. Came home and watched the Bravos.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The VT game was a good example of one of our crucial O woes: the horrendous third down conversion percentage. One of the main causes is the first down performance (blocking, play calling, execution?). We start way too many drives making one yard + or minus one yard on first down. We run or pass short to get us into third and 4 + or minus and then fail on third down. VT on the other hand consistently (I believe all but two series) got 4 to 8 yards on first down and had no trouble converting 2 or 3 yards for a first down. We had the same issues in 2020 with extremely poor gains on first down. We must also improve our short yardage plays. Coach P seems to not recognize repeated weaknesses or rather he choses to ignore and hope. This weakness kills drives, puts us on the wrong side of time of possession which impacts our D, and is a major cause of these close losses.

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
Notice to the defensive coordinator. We obviously don't have the talent to run a 3 man line up front. We didn't put enough pressure on a mediocre QB and gave him to much time to pick us apart. In the future please send at least 4 or 5 to get pressure and limit the time to complete plays. Make them decide quickly or get sacked. That will give our secondary a chance.

Notice to our offensive coordinator. We more players on offense than Sims and Gibbs. For some reason you only threw one deep pass and all that did was keep the defense tight and holes limited. If you are afraid Sims is going to throw an interception, then give Yates a shot at QB. A QB That can't throw a completed pass is a running back.
If you stick with Sims, teach him to how read defenses better and make better decisions with the ball quicker.
Notice head coach, if the coordinators don't get it together find some that will.
This homecoming game loss is on the poor coaching and lack of attention to details.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Notice to the defensive coordinator. We obviously don't have the talent to run a 3 man line up front. We didn't put enough pressure on a mediocre QB and gave him to much time to pick us apart. In the future please send at least 4 or 5 to get pressure and limit the time to complete plays. Make them decide quickly or get sacked. That will give our secondary a chance.

Notice to our offensive coordinator. We more players on offense than Sims and Gibbs. For some reason you only threw one deep pass and all that did was keep the defense tight and holes limited. If you are afraid Sims is going to throw an interception, then give Yates a shot at QB. A QB That can't throw a completed pass is a running back.

We ran 4-2-5 60%. We send pressure a lot and it gets nowhere.

So on one post people complain about the short intermediate game, now we have guys saying we don’t pass deep enough? You take what the defense gives you and keep the chains moving

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The VT game was a good example of one of our crucial O woes: the horrendous third down conversion percentage. One of the main causes is the first down performance (blocking, play calling, execution?). We start way too many drives making one yard + or minus one yard on first down. We run or pass short to get us into third and 4 + or minus and then fail on third down. VT on the other hand consistently (I believe all but two series) got 4 to 8 yards on first down and had no trouble converting 2 or 3 yards for a first down. We had the same issues in 2020 with extremely poor gains on first down. We must also improve our short yardage plays. Coach P seems to not recognize repeated weaknesses or rather he choses to ignore and hope. This weakness kills drives, puts us on the wrong side of time of possession which impacts our D, and is a major cause of these close losses.
yep, you called it-----.AGAIN, we go like 4 for 15 on 3rd/4th down. That's all I needed to see about the Off.

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
We ran 4-2-5 60%. We send pressure a lot and it gets nowhere.

So on one post people complain about the short intermediate game, now we have guys saying we don’t pass deep enough? You take what the defense gives you and keep the chains moving
To many players on offense not being utilized, and to long deciding what to do with the ball once it is snapped. We have tight ends that are not getting a second thought to make plays. I'm getting tired of the Sims, Gibbs show. Open up the offense more. If the defense takes away Sims and Gibbs they take away our offense.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Same time of mesh, so what? It’s farther back, and still takes an additional second of travel.

It isn‘t about timing at all, never was, it has always been about spotting the defense extra yards When that is unnecessary.

No it doesn’t lol

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
No it doesn’t lol
Yes it does, lol.

Under center the back has a full head of steam headed downhill from the snap (as an example of an alternate play under center), but in the shotgun, there is a pause and mesh 3 yards back, taking another short delay.

If you doubt that, go back and see how fast Laskey could hit the line with the ball, as opposed to Gibb’s extra time just to be given the ball before he even starts to move forward.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
No it doesn’t lol

We are talking just about a straight forward dive here right, not a read? There definitely is a difference when you are reading a handoff and the mesh is back instead of close to the line. Primarily in failure management (not that that part matters as much on 4th) a failed read at the line result sin a loss of one or a minimal gain a failure in the gun can result in a loss of 5.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
We are talking just about a straight forward dive here right, not a read? There definitely is a difference when you are reading a handoff and the mesh is back instead of close to the line. Primarily in failure management (not that that part matters as much on 4th) a failed read at the line result sin a loss of one or a minimal gain a failure in the gun can result in a loss of 5.
Yeah. It doesn’t even have to be a read, there are a number of plays that can work, my issue with it all is we run the same play that starts 3-4 yards back And that puts us in a self inflicted hole when the D probably already knows what’s coming.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Contract basically guarantees the CGC is here into his 5th year. Until then his contract is 100% guaranteed. We don't have anywhere near enough money to pay the whole contract.
This contract, to me, is only second to Paul Hewitt's golden parachute as far as idiocy goes.

Georgia Tech has always sucked at sports contract/funding and that is your real problem.

I really like ADTSTAN, but allowing a seven year contract to be written is bad. Making it 4 years 100% guaranteed is borderline inexcusable.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Under center- the QB has to turn and meet the Rb at the mesh at roughly 3-3.5yds then the RB still has to get to the ball and get the LOS

VS

SHOTGUN- ball is snapped & gets to the QB .5 sec mesh is at 5yds and RBs hits LOS a lot faster

You’re literally arguing proven scientific data bc you’re upset with a call
Yes it does, lol.

Under center the back has a full head of steam headed downhill from the snap (as an example of an alternate play under center), but in the shotgun, there is a pause and mesh 3 yards back, taking another short delay.

If you doubt that, go back and see how fast Laskey could hit the line with the ball, as opposed to Gibb’s extra time just to be given the ball before he even starts to move forward.