#VTvsGT Homecoming Postgame Thread

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am perplexed. When did defensive players get taught not to wrap up. On both sides of the ball, players just threw at tackles and never wrapped up. I know I played a generation ago, but this throwing at a tackle does not work. In the first half there were numerous misses because the defensive player did not wrap up. The defense today played better in the second half but again looked lost and uninspired in the first half. Folks have complained all season about offense, but defense this year has not shown much, if any improvement.

This is supposed to be CGCs strength. But Tech remains at the bottom of the ACC in total defense.

Sad.

VT was going to run the clock out before halftime. A defensive bust allowed them to get across the 50. With 6 seconds left, VT was ready to run a play and CGC calls a timeout which allows VT to get the field goal team on and kick a field goal. Why do you call an defensive timeout? Seriously, why do you call a timeout?

Another disappointing performance by the coaches and team.
One reason I left at halftime.

GTBlaze

Banned
Blah, blah, blah battle. Blah, blah, blah fought

I can’t even watch it. I really really want to like the guy and his big vision of the football program. I really really like him as a person (have never met him) but my Gosh I just can’t listen to it anymore

I feel bad for the guy because it appears he really loves GA Tech and Atlanta and until he makes drastic changes on his staff I cannot see him being successful here

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
That’s pretty much the crux of it right? I’m tired of analyzing it at this point, and frankly I don’t care. Geoff is paid to coach and win football games. We aren’t winning football games. Whatever the reason, he is failing at this point, and the “wait and see” approach is getting exhausting. It’s up to him to figure it out, but it ain’t looking good.
Point blank period.

You perfectly summed up and simplified the reality of this team and staff.

Animal02

Banned
I can’t even watch it. I really really want to like the guy and his big vision of the football program. I really really like him as a person (have never met him) but my Gosh I just can’t listen to it anymore

I feel bad for the guy because it appears he really loves GA Tech and Atlanta and until he makes drastic changes on his staff I cannot see him being successful here
Have met him....and don't feel sorry for him a bit. I feel sorry for the players that that will spend there time on the flats with losing record to make the total unnecessary "greatest transition of all time"

Scubapro

Banned
Point blank period.

Yes. Bravo. Some of us saw it when he got off the bus but the we are all in the same place now. Now what? Well, we are just by ourselves looking around as a wise man used to say.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You know our coaching is certainly sub-par but at some point, you have to hold the players accountable. I just don't see the collective effort required to win at this level. You see it here and there but for the most part nowhere near enough to be successful at this level. Basically, we just got manhandled by a bunch that wanted it more than we did. For me, I am going to more or less check out on the balance of this season. I love Georgia Tech football and watching at this level of effort is just no fun and certainly not entertaining. I will still be pulling for them and hoping for the best but life is too short to put up with this misery. Maybe next year.

Go Jackets!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Point blank period.

What I find disturbing about this game is that we lost a home game to a team we were favored to beat by 4 points. Looking back at their games I viewed this week with Notre Dame, Syracuse, and West Virginia (I have a lot of time on my hands being retired) this is not a very good team that we lost to. Virginia Tech is a LONG way from being like those teams under Frank Beamer that terrorized much of the ACC. They may right the ship and go to a bowl but other than the two #11s on each side of the ball, Tre Turner and whoever the defensive player happens to be, they are not impressive. Yet they beat us, and it could have been much worse. On the bright side, we moved the football, albeit to little purpose, and we forced 4 field goals. I felt we were going to come back and win the game until Mason got stuffed on the fourth down. Not a good look.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins could gain a little more from the fans if he were just honest. I know he says he takes responsibility but he never gives specifics. Like - I take responsibility for having to waste at minimum 1 timeout per game because we are a cluster on substitutions. I take responsibility for bringing in a bunch of transfers who haven’t done anything. I take responsibility for 2 guys covering 1 receiver while the other one just jogs down the field.

And what just makes me shake my head is knowing in 2 or 3 years we’ll have a new coach having to rebuild trust with Georgia high schools while Collins will be an assistant in the SEC because of his contacts. So at the end of the day, Collins will have a fat bank account with another high paying job and GT will be rebuilding. That make me sad.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So at the end of the day, Collins will have a fat bank account with another high paying job and GT will be rebuilding. That make me sad.
I have found that when worrying over the years about what others around me and/or my peers were making, rereading the parable of the vineyards was always very helpful. The beautiful thing about this free country of ours is that we all have the same opportunity to make the money that Coach Collins and his brethren are making if we are willing to put in the hours and move as frequently as these guys often do. That wasn't my cup of tea but I don't begrudge anyone for the money they make (as long as it is legal and moral).

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins could gain a little more from the fans if he were just honest. I know he says he takes responsibility but he never gives specifics. Like - I take responsibility for having to waste at minimum 1 timeout per game because we are a cluster on substitutions. I take responsibility for bringing in a bunch of transfers who haven’t done anything. I take responsibility for 2 guys covering 1 receiver while the other one just jogs down the field.

And what just makes me shake my head is knowing in 2 or 3 years we’ll have a new coach having to rebuild trust with Georgia high schools while Collins will be an assistant in the SEC because of his contacts. So at the end of the day, Collins will have a fat bank account with another high paying job and GT will be rebuilding. That make me sad.
He’s like the guy in the Hudsucker proxy

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
He did not answer a single question.
The book said to go for it on 4th and 4 or less? What book? Is this another stats thing based on expected points that disregards everything that has happened in the game (and season) up to that point?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The inability to make short yardage is killing us. We have not changed anything....formation, personnel, or play calls. It is an obvious problem and there has been no effort to fix it. Until we can make third and one with some consistency we will continue to lose games that could be won. There is no excuse for not making serious substitutions and changing play calls and formations in those short yardage situations. Spreading the D out and counting on blocking them one on one with predictable dive plays has not worked in the coach P era.
We wont look good in short yardage till we have big physical ol.
Example.
Paula is very young and was behind Smith ( a season and possibly more knee injury) and Cooper (out) . They used paula to pull in prevoius game and this week he downed block to break Gibbs for big gain on other side we have W Lay - iirc he was a walk on.

On short yardage I object to continuing to call the inside slow developing plays. These smaller guys just are not designed for that call especially when the first 2 tight ends are injured.

What a silly excuse - the book called .

Scubapro

Banned
We wont look good in short yardage till we have big physical ol.
Example.
Paula is very young and was behind Smith ( a season and possibly more knee injury) and Cooper (out) . They used paula to pull in prevoius game and this week he downed block to break Gibbs for big gain on other side we have W Lay - iirc he was a walk on.

On short yardage I object to continuing to call the inside slow developing plays. These smaller guys just are not designed for that call especially when the first 2 tight ends are injured.

What a silly excuse - the book called .
I wonder how we converted all those 3rd and shorts with PJ?