#VTvsGT Homecoming Postgame Thread

yellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Possible to beat BC or Miami if one of those teams self destructs. Today our team was out played, physically beaten and as usual was was out coached. Wondering if our great AD T-Stan will have supportive comments. I support our players and I give $. (unfortunately not enough to have any influence) but I have doubts that Collins will ever have a winning season at GT!

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Defense stepped up from worst half of the season to merely mediocre the second half.
Got us a stop and the ball back down with the chance to take the lead. Allowing them to drive 70 yards after the 4th down miss sealed our fate though. We had given up over 1000 yards over 6 quarters at the half.

When Jamyr went down, my stomach sank because I knew we would have trouble scoring from the 30.

OL is bad. Sims is running for his life back there, we are incapable of picking up a delayed blitz.

Sadly, I don’t see us winning another game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
VT 26 — Good Guys 17.

There’s no going Home(coming) again.
Disappointed. I actually thought we could beat them. After watching their games against Notre Dame and Syracuse, I was pretty convinced that Virginia Tech had some good players but was dysfunctional enough on offense that we could stop them. In the prediction thread, I predicted that we would win but not cover the 4 point spread. The two "Elevens" one on offense and the other on defense, Turner and I forget the one on defense's name, just killed us. I watched just two games and posted that we had to shut down Turner and damn if he does not have a near career game against us. As for Burmeister, he is a good athlete but left at least one touchdown on the field and maybe two by not seeing open receivers. They beat us by stopping the offense on third down and making big plays down the field. Virginia Tech probably saved their coach's job and punched a possible ticket to some crummy bowl. We are staring; at a 3 or 4 win season possibly.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The good
Next the bad
1 poor coaching offense and defense
2 Not know what to do on 4 th down ( oh wait this is poor coaching same as not 1)
3 Worse DB's that were rated 4 stars ( oh wait this is a sign of coaching them down again number 1)
4 An OL that can't block ( oops this is still coaching same as number 1)

I think I know the problem nowb

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, today I watched the game. I have seldom seen two such poorly coached teams in a contest. Both teams seemed bound and determined to shoot themselves in the foot and usually succeeded. Stupid penalties - false starts for them, personal fouls(!) for us - stymied or prolonged many drives in the game. And we turned the ball over twice in situations where we could not afford it. (Btw, I don't blame Sims for those; QBs who get blindsided when they are about to throw often cough up the ball and the INT was on a prayer throw.)

Overall, it went about as I feared it might. VT was able to shut down our passing in the first half and got a two score lead. Then it was just a matter of them holding on and scoring a bit more. I thought when they got 23 points on us that the game was pretty much over and I was right. The D gave up over 200 yards passing and rushing, but we did have our chances. Overall, not a sterling performance, however.

And that pretty much does it for the season. We might win one or two more games, but we probably won't. Too bad; given how they played a good performance by Tech would have won. Unfortunately, we matched them mistake by mistake for the whole game.

This is getting tiresome.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Possible to beat BC or Miami if one of those teams self destructs. Today our team was out played, physically beaten and as usual was was out coached. Wondering if our great AD T-Stan will have supportive comments. I support our players and I give $. (unfortunately not enough to have any influence) but I have doubts that Collins will ever have a winning season at GT!
About that Miami game...they have a new quarterback that is making Manny look like a genius...no small feat that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, today I watched the game. I have seldom seen two such poorly coached teams in a contest. Both teams seemed bound and determined to shoot themselves in the foot and usually succeeded. Stupid penalties - false starts for them, personal fouls(!) for us - stymied or prolonged many drives in the game. And we turned the ball over twice in situations where we could not afford it. (Btw, I don't blame Sims for those; QBs who get blindsided when they are about to throw often cough up the ball and the INT was on a prayer throw.)

Overall, it went about as I feared it might. VT was able to shut down our passing in the first half and got a two score lead. Then it was just a matter of them holding on and scoring a bit more. I thought when they got 23 points on us that the game was pretty much over and I was right. The D gave up over 200 yards passing and rushing, but we did have our chances. Overall, not a sterling performance, however.

And that pretty much does it for the season. We might win one or two more games, but we probably won't. Too bad; given how they played a good performance by Tech would have won. Unfortunately, we matched them mistake by mistake for the whole game.

This is getting tiresome.
I agree. The sad part is that except for Tre Turner, this is a mediocre Virginia Tech team that is light years away from the glory days of Frank Beamer. If we played them 10 times, each team would probably win 5. They are not even good on defense like they used to be and don't block kicks anymore. Still they beat us and likely will manage to go to some nondescript bowl as a result. The loser of this game was staring at the abyss of a lost season. Too bad it turns out to be us. A once proud program headed for the rubbish heap.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t watched the last few. I don’t say that lightly or bragging. Just between the tv channel circus and our performances I’m kinda checked out.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I hate where we are, but it does give me hope for our fanbase that no one is getting on here defending this coaching staff. It means most have now realized what most of us feared about the salesman. I wish I knew what we coukd do. When I was listening to the O’Leary interview, I said I wish he could take over right now.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I'll just put it this way, hardly any improvement on D isn't going to win games. The offense has shown improvement even if Simms has his issues, Collins hasn't shown he knows how to fix this.

How many more homecomings are we going to embarrass ourselves like this

Likely 1 to 4 more years unfortunately…..

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was happy that the D stepped up. Our OL is awful. The decicsion by Collins to go for it on 4th down when it was 23-17 was dreadful. That is the kind of play the fans always want but there is a reason most coaches don't do that. It is not like years past where we didn't think we could make a chip shot. I disliked that call then and still dislike it. That call, the 2 penalties on #2 and the first half defensive breakdowns cost us this ballgame. IMO. Di I mention we have a terrible OL?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I usually refrain from questioning the play calls. But I am astonished that we continue to ram the inside on key plays. We habe not been able to block that play on anyone we have played all year.
I could be wrong but it seems like we were better at that two years ago - certainly Mason had more success on inside runs in 2019 than today. We’re not getting better as a program.