#VTvsGT Homecoming Postgame Thread

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
From another site.... "Virginia Tech’s 491 yards are the most they’ve gained in a single game so far this season, and two of the teams on their schedule are Middle Tennessee and Richmond. 336 of those yards came in the first half."

That's embarrassing, regardless if we are young or old. It sure as he** aint "at a high level".

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, under center mesh midpoint is roughly 1.5 yards from LOS. In this play, snap point was just short of the 30, midmesh is just past the 28.
View attachment 11518
My guess is he’s referring to a traditional single back formation and not what CPJ ran since that offense isn’t likely to be ran here again anytime soon.

Obviously the bback dive hit quicker than anything else. That’s just not what we do anymore so don’t think it’s fair to use as a reference point.

The issue for me though is less how quick it hits and more about the fact that we didn’t give Sims a read or option to run on the 4th down play.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
My guess is he’s referring to a traditional single back formation and not what CPJ ran since that offense isn’t likely to be ran here again anytime soon.

Obviously the bback dive hit quicker than anything else. That’s just not what we do anymore so don’t think it’s fair to use as a reference point.

The issue for me though is less how quick it hits and more about the fact that we didn’t give Sims a read or option to run on the 4th down play.

No reason we can’t line up in the I or Split (which we did earlier in the game) and have a lead blocker for a straight power dive. I mean, why is this not in the playbook since it is a reasonable and successful play that works. Shouldn’t we have the expectation as fans (yes that is weak, I know) that our team can run the ****ing I Formation as well as a bunch of pee wees in a surprise for the D? If nothing else, it could make the D call a TO to discuss. Not so with SOS.

My issue is still essentially a read from the gun on short yardage 4th when you KNOW the D Line is thinking the same thing.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

You think? If we're talking about a mesh, then we're talking about a read, and nobody reads on a tailback handoff from out of center.

Further he was referencing the difference between the gun and the flexbone.

@Ibeeballin feel free to correct me here if I'm misinterpreting you

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
No reason we can’t line up in the I or Split (which we did earlier in the game) and have a lead blocker for a straight power dive. I mean, why is this not in the playbook since it is a reasonable and successful play that works. Shouldn’t we have the expectation as fans (yes that is weak, I know) that our team can run the ****ing I Formation as well as a bunch of pee wees in a surprise for the D? If nothing else, it could make the D call a TO to discuss. Not so with SOS.

My issue is still essentially a read from the gun on short yardage 4th when you KNOW the D Line is thinking the same thing.
Same reason CPJ didn’t practice running plays from the gun. I agree it’s simple in theory, but when your whole offense is run from the gun, wasting time on running plays under center that you might run once or twice in a game seems like a waste of practice time.

The issue is less where we take the snap from as it is play selection IMO.

Now we should be able to take a snap and run a QB sneak, but installing a formation for a couple plays doesn’t make sense if that’s not our offense.

Edit to fix spelling issues (probably still missed some)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It seems like half the fanbase complains we don’t pay enough to attract top coaches while the other half complains how Collins’ contract shackles our program. If you want the flexibility to replace a coach in 4 years, you either need to hire a bargain basement coach or you better be prepared to eat a lot of contract money. Look at the contracts Tennessee and FSU have been eating. Collins’ contract is peanuts compared to those.
We have a bargain basement coach now, but we paid premium prices.

However, I will concede one thing about this coach - he can recruit. I'm guessing that's the main reason he was brought here.
If he finds some decent assistants, we could land on our feet. But he has to do it after this season. The ones we have aren't cutting it.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
You think? If we're talking about a mesh, then we're talking about a read, and nobody reads on a tailback handoff from out of center.

I could be wrong, but that’s the way I read it. He may have misspoke when he said mesh meaning the handoff.

I took him as talking about a straight inside give. From the gun versus under center.

Heck most the time the bback lined up 2-3 yards behind the qb so it would have to have been closer to the LOS.

Im not an expert, but to me, a give to the bback has to be the quickest hitting play in football.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Same reason CPJ didn’t practice running plays from the gun. I agree it’s simple in theory, but when your whole offense is run from the gun, wasting time on running plays under center that you might run once or twice in a game seems like a waste of practice time.

Now we should be able to take a snap and run a QB sneak, but installing a formation for a couple plays doesn’t make sense if that’s not our offense.

Reasonable response, but I disagree in part. I mean, really, how hard is it to line up in I and hand to a HB? This isn’t something that has to be practiced much at all, everyone on the team was taught this in 5th grade. They already know it, they just have to listen to the count.

I am 50. I haven’t done it in years. I guarantee, I could run an “I right dive” today with zero practice.

But would need much BenGay afterwards.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong, but that’s the way I read it. He may have misspoke when he said mesh meaning the handoff.

I took him as talking about a straight inside give. From the gun versus under center.

Heck most the time the bback lined up 2-3 yards behind the qb so it would have to have been closer to the LOS.

Im not an expert, but to me, a give to the bback has to be the quickest hitting play in football.
He'd be entitled to it. he's contributed a TON to this board over the years :)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Reasonable response, but I disagree in part. I mean, really, how hard is it to line up in I and hand to a HB? This isn’t something that has to be practiced much at all, everyone on the team was taught this in 5th grade. They already know it, they just have to listen to the count.

I am 50. I haven’t done it in years. I guarantee, I could run an “I right dive” today with zero practice.

But would need much BenGay afterwards.
Don't even need to do that. Just center it straight to the rb. No change of formation at all.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
We have a bargain basement coach now, but we paid premium prices.

However, I will concede one thing about this coach - he can recruit. I'm guessing that's the main reason he was brought here.
If he finds some decent assistants, we could land on our feet. But he has to do it after this season. The ones we have aren't cutting it.
Lol. We are not paying premium prices for our coach. His current salary ranks 56th. We guaranteed 2 more years (of a low wage). Big Deal. I'm not impressed with his coaching, but we are not paying a lot for him either.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Mesh point is where the QB & RB come together for either a handoff or handoff

I’m only talking about our offense bc the argument of gun/under center still seems to come up on short yardage plays

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Lol. We are not paying premium prices for our coach. His current salary ranks 56th. We guaranteed 2 more years (of a low wage). Big Deal. I'm not impressed with his coaching, but we are not paying a lot for him either.
We're paying him about as much as we can afford, which to us is premium prices. We can't afford to eat contracts like FSU and Tennessee.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

How did Ralph Friedgen do it? We ran under center, pistol and shotgun. We ran twin backs in pocket passing formation, wishbone and veer. Whatever the situation called for we ran it.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Mesh point is where the QB & RB come together for either a handoff or handoff

I’m only talking about our offense bc the argument of gun/under center still seems to come up on short yardage plays

If you're talking about handing to like an I-back, I agree with you.

If you're talking about a fullback quick hitter, I disagree.