#VTvsGT Homecoming Postgame Thread

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, OK. I didn’t know that.

Too bad.
I am afraid we are stuck with him for better or for worse. He may yet make the naysayers eat their words, including me, by the end of year 4 or 5. In other words, he is not going anywhere but two coordinators might be on the chopping block soon enough. I am still, somewhat hopeful, that Coach Collins will get this program turned around and flying right but this year looks to be a lost cause.

slugboy

Staff member
Looking back, it’s even more of a shame that we didn’t beat Clemson. They’re not that good this year. ‘

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Fuente and Collins couldn’t win at the high school level even if they teamed up. Fuente has a 3rd and less than 1 and throws a long pass then punts. The National Championship Gold Rush team could have picked a 1st down with a run against our defense. That’s about as dumb as our 3rd and 8’s where we throw 4 yard routes. Fuente is the only reason we had a shot. Then our OLine said “hold my beer”.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Our dl was out muscled.
Vt had m in minimally talented wr, rb and a qb.

Did anyone see how far 1 was from line of scrimage.

Not bringing heat against vt was lack of coaching - by dc and head coach.

On defense we are too slow, too weak to go hat on hat. Must go to 4 dl to get beef in middle.

Whats w a 15 yd drop w safety

MACHETE

Georgia Tech Fan
Possible to beat BC or Miami if one of those teams self destructs. Today our team was out played, physically beaten and as usual was was out coached. Wondering if our great AD T-Stan will have supportive comments. I support our players and I give $. (unfortunately not enough to have any influence) but I have doubts that Collins will ever have a winning season at GT!
Have you seen Miami lately? BC maybe.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I am perplexed. When did defensive players get taught not to wrap up. On both sides of the ball, players just threw at tackles and never wrapped up. I know I played a generation ago, but this throwing at a tackle does not work. In the first half there were numerous misses because the defensive player did not wrap up. The defense today played better in the second half but again looked lost and uninspired in the first half. Folks have complained all season about offense, but defense this year has not shown much, if any improvement.

This is supposed to be CGCs strength. But Tech remains at the bottom of the ACC in total defense.

Sad.

VT was going to run the clock out before halftime. A defensive bust allowed them to get across the 50. With 6 seconds left, VT was ready to run a play and CGC calls a timeout which allows VT to get the field goal team on and kick a field goal. Why do you call an defensive timeout? Seriously, why do you call a timeout?

Another disappointing performance by the coaches and team.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What is most disappointing right now is that barrng a big upset, we will go 3 full years without back to back wins and potentially may have no wins over an FBS team that had a winning record for the season.

The recruiting may be better than it has been, but it will completely dry up in season 4 if we don't see significant improvement on the field. You can only sell a vision for so long, after a few years prospects will tune out your vision if you are not getting wins on the field.

I badly want Collins to succeed, as the alternative is really ugly (think GT baketball in the 2010's, the lost decade ugly), but it is hard to have any faith in the current program given the lack of any progress on any part of the team.

VT's defense is better than UVA's so I did not expect a 30+ point game, but I thought we could get to 20.
What is scary is that VT's DFEI coming into this game was the 2nd lowest of the 5 teams that remained on the schedule. So having another 30+ point game on offense feels like a low probability.

Miami feels like a game that will be a shootout and I just don't feel we are consistent enough to score the points necessary to win, unless we are +2 or more in TO margin.
BC is the game that feels winnable still. Their offense has gone into the tank so it feels like that could be a low scoring win.
ND and UGA don't feel like games that are going to be good in any way. Playing a game in South Bend in mid-November is going to be a new experience for most of our team and UGA is really about whether we can score any points at all and whether we can hold them under 50. Not real confident in either, that could be an all-time bad loss in COFH. Hope not. But UGA has its sight set on a really big prize and we are just a little speed bump in the road for them on that journey.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I usually refrain from questioning the play calls. But I am astonished that we continue to ram the inside on key plays. We habe not been able to block that play on anyone we have played all year.
The inability to make short yardage is killing us. We have not changed anything....formation, personnel, or play calls. It is an obvious problem and there has been no effort to fix it. Until we can make third and one with some consistency we will continue to lose games that could be won. There is no excuse for not making serious substitutions and changing play calls and formations in those short yardage situations. Spreading the D out and counting on blocking them one on one with predictable dive plays has not worked in the coach P era.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Good:
1. Sims is a good player. So is Gibbs.
2. Defense played mediocre 2nd half, (instead of putrid like 1st half).
3. Team did not quit.

Bad:
1. Holding call on McGowen's excellent downfield block. I thought the pick call was reasonable though...McGowen has to be subtle there.
2. Busted coverages. Guys running free everywhere.
3. No pass rush
4. Agree playcalling sucked after Gibbs' run.
5. Lost in the trenches on both sides.
6. We have some guys who are dangerous in space but if they don't get much of a chance due to blocking.
7. So we have an offense that is too inconsistent to move the sticks, but can score on explosives. But today they got called back or the player fell down.

Ugly:
1. Defense soft in 1st half. Missed tackles,low intensity/allowed VT players to fight for extra yards consistently. Just looked very flat/didn't play with urgency or energy. VT did.
2. Take the points after Gibbs' run to get within 3. Another FG ties or VT has to get at least a TD to go up two scores. Didn't cost us this game but as it did vs NIU.

While I have concerns about in game coaching and playcalling, as well as WTF busted coverages, I still think our single biggest problem is the trenches on both sides of the ball.

I thought with some disruptors like Keion White and AC Clayton and a good season by Jordan Domineck our D would be better. Turns out neither transfer will play meaningful snaps that I can tell, and I guess Domineck gets doubled a bunch.

On the OL we have lost top 4 offensive guards (Cooper, Kenneth Kirby, Austin Smith, Ryan Johnson to OT to replace injured Jordan Williams who we miss badly). The guys behind them are a step down (Paula V. Is young/inexperienced & Lay knows what to do/has a big heart but isn't the same type of athlete physically as who we have lost).

IF this staff can continue to recruit and mature a bunch of guys in the trenches we could be really good (Sims/Gibbs would be terrifying with a good line). But there are also a lot of coaching aspects that need to improve.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Always something with this team. We don't have any margin for error and still too many weak areas. We will have to play a complete game and/or get an opponent to implode if we want to win another one.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
IF this staff can continue to recruit and mature a bunch of guys in the trenches we could be really good (Sims/Gibbs would be terrifying with a good line). But there are also a lot of coaching aspects that need to improve.
That line better get good next year because why would Gibbs stay a fourth year if he can go to the NFL after three?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t watch today as I had two birthday parties to attend but from what I can tell we are poorly coached and soft.

I saw maybe 5 mins of football minutes of the first quarter when we scored. Other than that I just assume the same old story of penalties, bad playcalling on both sides of the ball and poor officiating.

This pretty much kills whatever enthusiasm I have for the season. After just about 3 seasons one thing remains constant…bad coaching. Either Collins makes major staff changes this year or we will be this same product every season.

Call me a pessimist but there’s not much light at the end of the tunnel anymore. 4 more years of this is a long time.

Go Jackets.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We are not good. That is all.
That’s pretty much the crux of it right? I’m tired of analyzing it at this point, and frankly I don’t care. Geoff is paid to coach and win football games. We aren’t winning football games. Whatever the reason, he is failing at this point, and the “wait and see” approach is getting exhausting. It’s up to him to figure it out, but it ain’t looking good.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid we are stuck with him for better or for worse. He may yet make the naysayers eat their words, including me, by the end of year 4 or 5. In other words, he is not going anywhere but two coordinators might be on the chopping block soon enough. I am still, somewhat hopeful, that Coach Collins will get this program turned around and flying right but this year looks to be a lost cause.
What is eating our words though? Going from 3 to 6 wins? Would that be enough? Or is it going to take 8-10?