Virginia Tech Postgame

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Where are these influx of starters going to play?

QB? Doubt it
Rb: no
WR: maybe 1 new starter
OL: praying for 2-3
DL: 1 definite probably 2
LB: hoping for 2 but prob 1
DB: no changes unless attrition

So 8 max
Then we are in a world of hurt. If it’s not the coaches fault and not the players fault, it must be the band’s fault. That’s all I can say that is C of C compliant.

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
To me it seems like overall the fan base should be very happy with the direction of the program as is evidenced by a lot of people here. In the big picture if you look at the positives, there was almost nothing run from under center, no triple option, lots of passing attempts, and even some 5 wide. By those factors yesterday was a great result and a big success and the direction of the program is perfect. As a bonus there are no low level bowl games to worry about as a drag to recruiting.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have been hard on the offense for yesterday's performance but to be honest our D was out of position on a lot of big plays as well. We had an awful performance yesterday on both sides of the ball.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I have been hard on the offense for yesterday's performance but to be honest our D was out of position on a lot of big plays as well. We had an awful performance yesterday on both sides of the ball.

A lot. Not sure what Carpenter deal was but he missed 2 INTs. Haven’t been impressed with Juanyah much all season. He takes a lot of bad angles and guesses especially on run support

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry. I missed your question earlier. I think CCG ceiling is ACCCG Winner & CFP contender

I have no idea why Mr someone gets rep. Maybe papa is donating money or something. I have no idea. People want to say it’s not a talent issue, but a see a 3yr making the same mistakes he made as freshman

thanks for the response. I greatly appreciate you opinions. While I really do disagree on our OC with you, I can’t get enough of your insight as a player and on defense. I think CGC’s ceiling is high, just not with this OC. I just don’t think he has the it factor on calling plays. I’ve listened to him and he obviously knows how he wants to attacking defenses theoretically. I just don’t think he can do it.

I just got done listening to a podcast called Dr. Death. It was about a neurosurgeon who kept maiming and killing people. Despite him getting an MD and a PhD and passing his boards, he was a horrible surgeon. He knew all about neurosurgery. He just didn’t know how to do it. On top of that he couldn’t recognize that he couldn’t do it. So he kept operating. While getting an offense going is much less serious, it seems like a good analogy. Maybe I’m off base. Just doesn’t seem like to know what to do when. Just doesn’t see it or sees it too slow.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We were winning with alignment and scheme but not consistently.

CPJ only had back to back great seasons and 2014 when he had NFL level talent
Exactly. So you use the same tactics to give you those same advantages, then you add in all the stuff we’ve been clamoring for- passing, aggressive D, special teams and you pick off 1-2 extras win per season. You then transition to NFL offense.

You win 9 games a year on average and you don’t have a complete ****storm on your hands.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yep, and two years from now they will valuable contributors...
I would say the law of recruiting averages is that 3 of the 7 might contribute more than marginally. It's not Collins. Just recruiting history. Bunches and bunches of those top 20 classes nationwide are outperformed two years later by average classes. So let's not count on 7 for 7.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Scott frost at Nebraska is loaded with good talent and wasn't moving from the triple option and they still can't win.

There are so many variables to winning.
I think what Frost discovered is that his "good" talent in Florida is marginal in Nebraska. They really just aren't very good.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
thanks for the response. I greatly appreciate you opinions. While I really do disagree on our OC with you, I can’t get enough of your insight as a player and on defense. I think CGC’s ceiling is high, just not with this OC. I just don’t think he has the it factor on calling plays. I’ve listened to him and he obviously knows how he wants to attacking defenses theoretically. I just don’t think he can do it.

I just got done listening to a podcast called Dr. Death. It was about a neurosurgeon who kept maiming and killing people. Despite him getting an MD and a PhD and passing his boards, he was a horrible surgeon. He knew all about neurosurgery. He just didn’t know how to do it. On top of that he couldn’t recognize that he couldn’t do it. So he kept operating. While getting an offense going is much less serious, it seems like a good analogy. Maybe I’m off base. Just doesn’t seem like to know what to do when. Just doesn’t see it or sees it too slow.
Now there is a leap for you.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Since before season started nothing has changed in my mind, we were always going to have to pay a price to get out of the TO/no defense mode where we were to get to "big boy FB". I don't expect to see signs of that until the 2021 season, but I'm going to try to enjoy the rebuild in the mean time. Nope, Sat was not a day of enjoying watching the rebuild. I think that's the longest game I have ever watched.

As a side note, it appears to me that Graham mentally freezes before his first snap when he goes up against a good defense. Don't know, but my guess is Bud Foster threw something at JG before first snap that was not coached to JG previous week, just my guess, so probably not fair of me.
I truly believe better days are coming with our new staff and we'll be happy we have them before it's all said and done, but it's going to take a couple years of patience which is hard sometimes in this day of "what have you done for me today"

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is a classic case of "over promise, under deliver". Geoff is a smart guy. If I were him, I would have tried to manage expectations better ...

"Look, this year we are transitioning away from the TO. Very difficult. And we will have to 100% flip our roster. This year, we will be challenged on the field. I'm focusing this year on playing error-free ball and recruiting. I ask you to hang with me while we do that."

He could answer every question about a loss with ... "Yesterday was a tough day. But it's consistent with what our coaching staff described. We have players for the TO but not for the kind of team we want to have. Our play reflected that. The good news is we committed zero errors and we are doing well in recruiting. Next question ..."
Maybe, but the problem there is that sooner or later Collins has to man up and quit blaming the other guy. I think he has been very good at that. Maybe, had he more than two years HC experience at a middlin' program, he would be better at it. But right now he makes my head hurt.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Since before season started nothing has changed in my mind, we were always going to have to pay a price to get out of the TO/no defense mode where we were to get to "big boy FB". I don't expect to see signs of that until the 2021 season, but I'm going to try to enjoy the rebuild in the mean time. Nope, Sat was not a day of enjoying watching the rebuild. I think that's the longest game I have ever watched.

As a side note, it appears to me that Graham mentally freezes before his first snap when he goes up against a good defense. Don't know, but my guess is Bud Foster threw something at JG before first snap that was not coached to JG previous week, just my guess, so probably not fair of me.
I truly believe better days are coming with our new staff and we'll be happy we have them before it's all said and done, but it's going to take a couple years of patience which is hard sometimes in this day of "what have you done for me today"

Ididn't see game but on Official Tech site it showed its showed starters on Off were TWO TEs and a FLEX back!!!.Now that is completely different/new than before.Was that the problem with the Offense? Couldn't handle the BIG change ?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

It would be a good analogy, except for the fact that the neurosurgeon is the one actually doing the work. The players are the ones out there executing on the theory.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
where this participation trophy BS come from? He said this is a complete of defense we’ve faced since Temple?

Hyperbolic on my part no doubt but I want to see him yanking some chains old school style after a performance this bad. We would have lost to USF, the Citadel, Temple and about half of the FCS teams with this kind of play. The wonder is that Virginia Tech did not break 50. At no time did I think we were a threat to score and the game was essentially over by the end of the first quarter. Most of the crowd had seen enough by the end of the third quarter. So...no participation trophies for this team today.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m not trying to insult either guy, but basically CPJ is a better coach than CGC, and CGC is a better recruiter than CPJ. Once he has a couple years to get much better talent in here, will that be enough to step the program up? That’s the whatever-million dollar question.

No disrespect intended to Coach Johnson who I have the greatest respect for but just about anyone would be a better recruiter than him but yes, Coach Collins has all the earmarks of being a guy that can reel them in. The $64,000 question is can he and his staff get them to execute and play better than we have seen so far? I suspect that the next year or two will see some significant staff turnover especially on offense but we will see. Coach Collins badly needs to win next Thursday and failing that he and his staff will need to recruit the living daylights out of what remains of this recruiting season and seriously consider "processing" some people over the winter as unpleasant as that may seem. This may get worse before it gets any better.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone think Tech was not outcoached today? Regardless of talent on the line of scrimmage? The screens against an attacking defense? Run blitzes?

Attack each other, but look at the game. This was the worst Tech played this year. (Except Citadel)

Maybe we were "outcoached" but I don't think it really mattered. They were ready to play and showed it with their best performance this year on both sides of the ball. We were not mentally into it and would have lost to a lot of pretty bad teams today. We are currently in the infamous "Bottom 25" and have been for much of the year but I never thought of us actually looking like a bottom 25 team until yesterday with the exception of how we played against the Citadel.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Huh? By far the best recruiting class in like a decade. And for a team that’s stinking it up on the field.

On paper it is by Tech standards an excellent class but commitments are one thing, signing on the dotted line is something else again. Will Coach Collins be able to hold this class together? I think so, but these kids today....sigh