Virginia Tech Postgame

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I think if PJ were our coach this year we’d be probably 5-5, it’s been a horrible year , I did want PJ gone because I thought the offense hurt recruiting , and I still stand by that . I think the ceiling with PJ was maybe every now & then win 9 games but average about 7, those things sound great right about now lol, but I do think the right guy can have us in top 25 consistently . Is GC the right guy? We won’t know until 2 or 3 years down the road: all the hype stuff does bother me , I wish we had a guy that just kept his mouth shut & won games without the 404 stuff , juice squad , etc . And GC keeps saying over & over about what a transition this is &
How it’s the biggest transition in football history , it’s getting tiresome , & what he said yesterday about temple having so much talent is ridiculous. Anyway maybe better days are ahead

This is about the most reasonable post I have seen here in 3 years (including most of my own... :) )

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Every fan base except one will be saying they are tired of their coach’s version of coach speak after the last game is played. Remember the tantrums UGA fans had after the Texas game. And again after South Carolina. I could care less what Collins says. It’s all about actions. And right now we are poised to have the best recruiting class at GT in a decade. That’s the action I care about. And also knowing we have a stud in Griffin at RB and having Thomas and Knight at Linebacker next year will be awesome. Add Ezzard with Brown and maybe we’ll have two guys who can actually catch. I like the big bodied Devaney kid at TE. Wiggles and Clayton will give us men on the DL. And 2021 will be a better class.

Maybe Collins will stink as a game day coach, but we at least will have P5 players at every position. Watching UNC and VT just throw us around is sad and Collins will fix that.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
What I saw yesterday and what I saw with the Citadel game is part of why I have come to this conclusion. Have I been around...yep Bud Carson days. See, I see football as a disciplined sport. You don't walk in and crank up a hype machine. You gauge what you have and scheme to fit it. You may have a different plan down the road but if you walk in and state that this is the biggest turnaround in college football history, which it is not, you just lost many of us who thought a lot of the previous staff. When you are losing a game and you have your players dancing behind you and holding up ridiculous money down signs, then I begin to question.

If the coaching staff was thinking this is a throw away year....then we should have not played. Maybe we would not have had all those injuries.

If and when this staff wins the ACC, wins the Coastal, gets to a few Orange bowls, and beats Georgia. Then I will admit my false reading. But I have seen, played, and coached enough football to see what I am seeing and coming to the conclusions. This is a very inexperienced staff.
Recruit away, but we will never out talent other teams. Tech is Tech and frankly, we are usually the under dog. And that is what makes seasons like 1990, 2009, and 2014 so special.
I agree with the dancing & money down & you’re right : there been a ton of scheme changes over the years in college football , deal with it

Animal02

Banned
I think if PJ were our coach this year we’d be probably 5-5, it’s been a horrible year , I did want PJ gone because I thought the offense hurt recruiting , and I still stand by that . I think the ceiling with PJ was maybe every now & then win 9 games but average about 7, those things sound great right about now lol, but I do think the right guy can have us in top 25 consistently . Is GC the right guy? We won’t know until 2 or 3 years down the road: all the hype stuff does bother me , I wish we had a guy that just kept his mouth shut & won games without the 404 stuff , juice squad , etc . And GC keeps saying over & over about what a transition this is &
How it’s the biggest transition in football history , it’s getting tiresome , & what he said yesterday about temple having so much talent is ridiculous. Anyway maybe better days are ahead
Being in the top 25 consistently is a fantasy. Only a handful of teams has managed that over the last decade or two. Over 90 teams have finished in the top 25 in that same time span.
CPJ has maintaining our historical norm with less and less resources compared to our primary competition. I think the "Offense hurting recruiting" was overblown. I do think it was about time for CPJ to go as well.....but it was more how the game and changed around him.....chop blocking, cut blocking etc. I also think better defenses had figured out to force the QB wearing down the QB over time.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree. And I don't know how good Tech could be.

I wanted to see a team get better each game. I wanted to see special teams become a positive since this is a transition and even average teams can have great special teams.

I had hoped that CGC would come in and be the ACC coach of the year.

After the beat down by the Hokies, the trajectory is in the wrong direction.

If this is the best we can be, our Saturdays are going to be very frustrating.

Well, it's hard to get better each game. But until Saturday, we saw general improvement - two steps forward, one step back. Hopefully we take another step forward next Thursday. This is far from the best we can be. We are at a nadir right now because we are so depleted. It'll get better.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We receive the opening KO. Touchback. 1st &10 from the 25. Gee, what do we do? Hey let’s call a TO and discuss the play call.

It’s hard to get more clueless than that.

I can remember the exact same thing happening in very recent years. The exact same thing. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now, but I remember that then the explanation I was given was that the defense was different than what was expected. The QB should be able to check off in that situation, seems to me.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I did not get to watch Carpenter and Juanyah that much yesterday as I was trying to focus on the linebackers. Curry is the one I am not happy with. He got washed out way too many times and it seems that he does not change directions well. I wonder if he is still bothered by that knee injury.

It’s been that way all year for Curry, the kid has heart and he never gives up but he is in dire need of some coaching. He does the same thing every game. When he doesn’t dance( stutter step) and hits his holes he is a beast but unfortunately he stutter steps more than not, it creates hesitation and he gets caught up in the crowd when he needs to be outside and he can’t fill the gap because he isn’t committing to it.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I will continue to watch and wait before making my judgment.

I actually think we will win our next game. But that's just me, I suppose....

I think VPI&SU is MUCH better this year than last and many, many on this board refuse to consider that......they started poorly, but have developed extremely well. They have won 5 of their last 6, with the lone loss being to a solid Notre Dame team, on the road, by a single point, on a last second TD. But, if it makes you all feel better to compare this game to last year's game (which is a meaningless exercise) they have fun.

Yesterday was certainly a low point and a bad game all the way around, but I had expected to get thumped....we just got thumped worse than I thought we would. We'll see how this team develops...
I generally agree with this. We can't really compare our performance last year to VT to our performance this year. (I think that applies more generally, as I also see a few of the same posters keep saying "Oh, well CPJ couldn't beat USF last year so he wouldn't beat them this year.") Having said that, there was enough in this year's performance to give us cause for concern.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

LibertyTurns

Banned
I can remember the exact same thing happening in very recent years. The exact same thing. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now, but I remember that then the explanation I was given was that the defense was different than what was expected. The QB should be able to check off in that situation, seems to me.
I have a faint recollection of lambasting CPJ for the same thing. Not sure it was at the half or the start of a drive though. Unless it’s a turnover and that’s really not excusable either you need to be prepared to call a play. Bottom line.

Maybe if there was 20 secs left and you needed a TD and you had TO’s left and you didn’t like the play vs the D, ok. But damn this was the first play of the game.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Basically reiterating the current narrative without adding any insight or analysis at all. The current perception seems to be that we are going to be awful for 3-4 years and nothing can possibly be done about that. I’m sure that is great for recruiting.
Let me ask this for those that aren't comfortable about waiting 2,3 or 4 years
What do you expect to be done to speed that up or what can be done ?

Short of firing Collins and going back to an option based coach I don't see any reasonable thing aside for waiting for the recruits to come

We have kids that are good but not "elite" acc level yet

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned

Short of firing Collins and going back to an option based coach I don't see any reasonable thing aside for waiting for the recruits to come

We have kids that are good but not "elite" acc level yet

If Collins cannot manage to get to 6-6 in year three, it will obviously be an indication of his HC skills, something that is questionable right now. (It is not like he had a 20 year record as a winner and just made a bonehead call). At the year 3 point, you just have to cut your losses and move on. Tech could not afford to lose its small fan base.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
If Collins cannot manage to get to 6-6 in year three, it will obviously be an indication of his HC skills, something that is questionable right now. (It is not like he had a 20 year record as a winner and just made a bonehead call). At the year 3 point, you just have to cut your losses and move on. Tech could not afford to lose its small fan base.
Coaching mistake I get ,
Losing our fan base worries me
But again also keep in mind the money short fall we have right now

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The problem is that CGC is selling a sh*t sandwich and wants us to keep buying his sh*t sandwiches with the promise that he's gonna get some oven roasted turkey and make us lots of really good sandwich in a few years. But if you look around, he had the ingredients to make a basic ham sandwich right now, but he chose to slap some crap between two ziploc bags and serve that instead.

Animal02

Banned
Coaching mistake I get ,
Losing our fan base worries me
But again also keep in mind the money short fall we have right now

This is all a "what if" because I don't anticipate it, (though I did not anticipate this bad of a season despite my reservations) But if we were to suffer another 2 years of sub .500, the drain of $$$ will be so big that keeping him would cost more.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

There is nothing to do as a fan but give $, support the program and attend games. Or gripe and moan nonstop on the internet. This IS going to take time whether we want it to or not....4 years minimum or maybe 7 years if it turns out that CGC is not capable of righting the ship. I don't have enough data yet to say he can't. The option of going back to the option really is no longer a viable option for us, or for any P5 program going forward (really bad pun intended). This season is the death knell for CPJ's sytem at this level (rightly or wrongly I will hasten to add).

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
This is all a "what if" because I don't anticipate it, (though I did not anticipate this bad of a season despite my reservations) But if we were to suffer another 2 years of sub .500, the drain of $$$ will be so big that keeping him would cost more.

This is one of the reasons FSU supposedly made such a quick move (relative to when he was hired) on Taggart. It was impacting ticket sales and support so much (the loss of revenue estimates per game were kinda shocking to me) that it was costing so much in loss revenue/support dollars to keep him that it was better to bite the bullet and pay the buyout to can him.