Virginia Tech Postgame

Animal02

Banned
No disrespect intended to Coach Johnson who I have the greatest respect for but just about anyone would be a better recruiter than him but yes, Coach Collins has all the earmarks of being a guy that can reel them in. The $64,000 question is can he and his staff get them to execute and play better than we have seen so far? I suspect that the next year or two will see some significant staff turnover especially on offense but we will see. Coach Collins badly needs to win next Thursday and failing that he and his staff will need to recruit the living daylights out of what remains of this recruiting season and seriously consider "processing" some people over the winter as unpleasant as that may seem. This may get worse before it gets any better.
WRT processing...then you can chalk up another lie made by Collins.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
This game at home doesnt help nor define the mantra of improving through the year. Not sure thats happened. We have no one elite. Or playing at a high level. Coaches just talk gibberish

Bad team. With bad playcalling. And bad coaching too. This is one huge ship to turn

The talent is not there on this team. We are not good, and in an offensive transition like this we were bound to be even worse. I only hope that we end up at 8-5 four years from now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That’s why i find when @AlabamaBuzz and a few others say we will never outrecruit Bama or UGA doing what they do. We don’t have to be a top 15-25 team and to be perennial Coastal Champs
SCREECH!! My Lord, what is that racket!?!

Oh. It's the goalposts being moved. We go from a promise that we'll be a perennial "top 15 - 25" recruiting team to … well, good enough to recruit with our Coastal rivals and maybe, just maybe win the division or, at least, compete for the title.

Ok, kidding aside: I'm glad to see that you are coming to grips with reality. That's exactly what I'd like to see Collins do (well, that and become a decent game day coach). It is within our actual possibilities and if, every now and then, we can win 9 - 11 games so much the better. We did this under Paul and I think it is still a possibility with Collins, though my assessment of the probabilities is going down week by week. This doesn't mean "embracing mediocrity"; that's what we are doing now. It means getting there program back to respectability. Fast.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
A lot. Not sure what Carpenter deal was but he missed 2 INTs. Haven’t been impressed with Juanyah much all season. He takes a lot of bad angles and guesses especially on run support
I did not get to watch Carpenter and Juanyah that much yesterday as I was trying to focus on the linebackers. Curry is the one I am not happy with. He got washed out way too many times and it seems that he does not change directions well. I wonder if he is still bothered by that knee injury.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As a side note, it appears to me that Graham mentally freezes before his first snap when he goes up against a good defense. Don't know, but my guess is Bud Foster threw something at JG before first snap that was not coached to JG previous week, just my guess, so probably not fair of me.
Ah. I can remember the day - it was just last year! - when Tech was the one doing that and Bud was the person complaining about it.

This was one of the things I liked about the spread option, especially when Paul was calling plays. It wasn't a matter of being coached about what they were going to do on D. We played a couple of series, saw what they were doing, adjusted the blocking, and ran the same plays more effectively. Or you would pull something out of the coaching hat that you had been saving just for a team that showed the tendencies that favored the play, like the QB sweeps we put in last year when we humiliated VT up there. This kind of adjustment on the fly is a lot harder with a shotgun spread; hence the usually higher salaries of the OCs over the DCs.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You have to use context. Auburn plays in the SEC West with Bama and LSU, who now has an offense. We are in the Coastal with no one who recruits in the Top 25 except UNC and Miami (who is in a worst situation than us) so no we don’t have to on Auburn level per se, we need to be better than middling teams in the Coastal. That’s why i find when @AlabamaBuzz and a few others say we will never outrecruit Bama or UGA doing what they do. We don’t have to be a top 15-25 team and to be perennial Coastal Champs

Most of this fanbase wants to beat Clem's Son and UGAG and sniff a playoff. If we wanted to just win coastals, why did we not keep what we had? We were in it a lot. Even with Gailey, we were in it. I thought the CGC guys wanted more.

Was the goal to "get rid of the "high school" offense", or was it to be a national champion by recruiting at the top level? I am not sure anymore.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Um, Who I am is the biggest Tech fan there is. I have proven that many times over. What I am saying is we made a coaching hire mistake. We hired an unproven coach at a very tough place to coach.

You need to take a time out from Tech football if you can make up your mind that quickly. I assume you've been around awhile and have seen this program struggle time and time again. I won't say that I've seen anything comforting me that CGC is a great hire, but the idea that you come to an internet message board and basically type the same message over and over is ludicrous. He isn't going anywhere for 2-3 years at the earliest, unless you are GT's T Boone Pickens and plan to buyout his contract while spending lavishly to improve facilities. Take a powder, accept this season as a pile of poopy, and if CGC closes the deal on what looks to be a great recruiting class, enjoy watching them improve. You and Animal aren't changing anyone's mind by repeating your complaints ad nauseum.

You need to take a time out from Tech football if you can make up your mind that quickly. I assume you've been around awhile and have seen this program struggle time and time again. I won't say that I've seen anything comforting me that CGC is a great hire, but the idea that you come to an internet message board and basically type the same message over and over is ludicrous. He isn't going anywhere for 2-3 years at the earliest, unless you are GT's T Boone Pickens and plan to buyout his contract while spending lavishly to improve facilities. Take a powder, accept this season as a pile of poopy, and if CGC closes the deal on what looks to be a great recruiting class, enjoy watching them improve. You and Animal aren't changing anyone's mind by repeating your complaints ad nauseum.

What I saw yesterday and what I saw with the Citadel game is part of why I have come to this conclusion. Have I been around...yep Bud Carson days. See, I see football as a disciplined sport. You don't walk in and crank up a hype machine. You gauge what you have and scheme to fit it. You may have a different plan down the road but if you walk in and state that this is the biggest turnaround in college football history, which it is not, you just lost many of us who thought a lot of the previous staff. When you are losing a game and you have your players dancing behind you and holding up ridiculous money down signs, then I begin to question.

If the coaching staff was thinking this is a throw away year....then we should have not played. Maybe we would not have had all those injuries.

If and when this staff wins the ACC, wins the Coastal, gets to a few Orange bowls, and beats Georgia. Then I will admit my false reading. But I have seen, played, and coached enough football to see what I am seeing and coming to the conclusions. This is a very inexperienced staff.
Recruit away, but we will never out talent other teams. Tech is Tech and frankly, we are usually the under dog. And that is what makes seasons like 1990, 2009, and 2014 so special.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Most of this fanbase wants to beat Clem's Son and UGAG and sniff a playoff. If we wanted to just win coastals, why did we not keep what we had? We were in it a lot. Even with Gailey, we were in it. I thought the CGC guys wanted more.

Was the goal to "get rid of the "high school" offense", or was it to be a national champion by recruiting at the top level? I am not sure anymore.

I just want us to be the best we can be. How good that is I don't know, and I doubt anyone else knows for sure. But right now what I do know is that a little patience is in order.

We didn't keep what we had because Paul retired.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Now a days fans get tired of their coach after 7 years and always think someone else can do better. Gone are the days coaches stay at the same schools for years on years kind of sad , tv and social media Are going to kill the sport.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I just want us to be the best we can be. How good that is I don't know, and I doubt anyone else knows for sure. But right now what I do know is that a little patience is in order.

We didn't keep what we had because Paul retired.

I agree. And I don't know how good Tech could be.

I wanted to see a team get better each game. I wanted to see special teams become a positive since this is a transition and even average teams can have great special teams.

I had hoped that CGC would come in and be the ACC coach of the year.

After the beat down by the Hokies, the trajectory is in the wrong direction.

If this is the best we can be, our Saturdays are going to be very frustrating.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Ok. I am not going to put this reply to anyone specific. People keep repeating how undersized we are as justification for how poor we have played. I don't dispute that we are being beaten in the trenches, but I wanted to quantify how undersized we are.

VT OL:
uva_ol_2019.png

GT DL:
gt_dl_2019.png

GT OL:
gt_ol_2019.png

VT DL:
vt_dl_2019.png

Based on data, we give up 10.6 pounds when comparing offensive lines, but are 13 pounds bigger on the defensive line. There is only a 2 pound difference total.

I am not going to say that we won't become a better team by getting bigger and stronger athletes, but it seems to me we are just using size as an excuse right now.

LibertyTurns

Banned
While getting an offense going is much less serious, it seems like a good analogy. Maybe I’m off base. Just doesn’t seem like to know what to do when. Just doesn’t see it or sees it too slow.
We receive the opening KO. Touchback. 1st &10 from the 25. Gee, what do we do? Hey let’s call a TO and discuss the play call.

It’s hard to get more clueless than that.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if PJ were our coach this year we’d be probably 5-5, it’s been a horrible year , I did want PJ gone because I thought the offense hurt recruiting , and I still stand by that . I think the ceiling with PJ was maybe every now & then win 9 games but average about 7, those things sound great right about now lol, but I do think the right guy can have us in top 25 consistently . Is GC the right guy? We won’t know until 2 or 3 years down the road: all the hype stuff does bother me , I wish we had a guy that just kept his mouth shut & won games without the 404 stuff , juice squad , etc . And GC keeps saying over & over about what a transition this is &
How it’s the biggest transition in football history , it’s getting tiresome , & what he said yesterday about temple having so much talent is ridiculous. Anyway maybe better days are ahead