UVA game thoughts

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our loss to Bowling Green is way worse than any of UVAs losses and it is not close.

Amen. Definition of bi-polar to lose that one anc beat Miami and UNC.

I think our O and ST are likely to be good. It's the D that is the real Ouija board projection.

All that said, I'll have cold beer and CW to watch tomorrow to see which GT team shows up. I am not optimistic but that is normal.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
When did 11 points become a blowout?

UVA lost by 28 points. Let's not act like the scores were similar.
The final score of our BG is not indicative of the whoopin they gave us.

Any ranking that "excludes garbage time drives" wouldn't even count our final TD. I'm definitely not about to start pounding my chest about "only" losing by 11 after scoring a late td against back ups to a team we were favored to win by 20.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Amen. Definition of bi-polar to lose that one anc beat Miami and UNC.

I think our O and ST are likely to be good. It's the D that is the real Ouija board projection.

All that said, I'll have cold beer and CW to watch tomorrow to see which GT team shows up. I am not optimistic but that is normal.
Nice comment that's not about stats but refer to the ga tech teams chances.

Whats neat is both coaches need this game. Toni E has used up lots of the good will he had - buikdungvit right has only shown progress in last few games. Get trounced by Gt would move him very close to the exit. While King still has good will - especially after UNC, a big loss will leave us remembering the bad
Just read this thread about what sucks the worst.
But a big win (on top of UNC) would put him thru till next year

A big win Or big loss has big effect on both coaches

Go v jackets

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ broke the Charlottesville curse, 2 wins up there iirc. Not saying it’s an easy place to win but It’s up to our guys to take this game by force and willpower. We have got to run the ball successfully on offense, Haynes King runs open up everything. Defense has got to stop the run and wrap up and tackle, rally 11 men to the ball.

Go Jackets!
Maybe our backs can harness some of this:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Maryland's best win is over a 2-6 team, and they've lost to teams that are currently 4-4 and 3-5. OSU is the only team they've played with a winning record. They are currently still overrated from beating a bunch of really bad teams early in the season, but their ranking will continue to fall as they likely don't win another game the rest of the way and miss a bowl game. Yes they are in a better conference, but that doesn't automatically make them way better.

Bowling Green's worst loss is to 6-3 Ohio. Their other losses are to undefeated Liberty, undefeated Michigan, and a 7-2 Miami(OH). That's a combined record of 29-5. And as I said previously, they are likely to continue winning, moving up the rankings, and make a bowl game.

The gap between these two teams is not nearly as big as you want to believe.

It's a shame that arguing your position devolved to calling me delusional and idiotic. Some would say that's poor form...
Most ranking systems disagree with you, but whatever.

Also, I still cannot understand why anyone would compare schedules. It is inane. Put Bowling Green in the Big 10 and they would not win a single game. Put Maryland in the Mid-American and they would win the conference.

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The final score of our BG is not indicative of the whoopin they gave us.

Any ranking that "excludes garbage time drives" wouldn't even count our final TD. I'm definitely not about to start pounding my chest about "only" losing by 11 after scoring a late td against back ups to a team we were favored to win by 20.
Nobody is beating their chest about it but nice strawman. I've already said it's a bad loss and a game we shouldn't have lost, I just seem to be the only one who sees it wasn't AS bad a loss as it originally seemed, just like the loss against NIU in 2021 who ended up 9-5 that year and won the MAC. We still should have beaten both teams.

18 is still 2 scores less than 28, and UVA couldn't even manage a garbage time TD in their game and went scoreless for 3 straight quarters. Bowling Green had one really good quarter against us where they scored 21 of the 38 points while we threw a pick 6 and another interception. Outside of that the rest of the game was basically even, and I'm not sure BG ever put their backups in like you claim, until maybe the final drive of kneeling it out. Bazelak, their starting QB, was still playing with 4 minutes left in the 4th.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We'll have to agree to disagree. It looked extremely bad at the time yes, but Bowling Green has continued to win and is 5-4 at this point and will likely end up 7-5 for the season. Maryland, one of the two teams that stomped UVA, is 5-3 currently, but they have not beaten any FBS team that has a record better than 2-6 and will likely not win a game the rest of the season. Is Maryland better than Bowling Green, probably yes, but not significantly better, and the beating they put on UVA was much greater than Bowling Green put on us.
You realize UVA played their first 3 games with a backup QB who is a freshmen. Since the starter returned they have no bad losses and have been in every game.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Most ranking systems disagree with you, but whatever.
Let me know which ranking system predicts through the end of season and not just to date. I'm not aware of one, but there are a lot out there so maybe you are.

And, yet, both can be bad losses. I never said which team would beat which, so I am not why your counter argument is relevant.
It's pretty easy to understand actually. Your reply, to my comment stating that one loss was much worse than the other, suggests the two losses were basically equally bad in your eyes. By pointing out BG would destroy Citadel, I am reiterating that no, they are not equally bad. I've never said they aren't both bad losses, so I don't know why you and other keep trying to argue that point.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We’ve got folks trying to justify a loss to a MAC team 4 weeks after it happened, and the day before one of the most important games Georgia Tech football has played in years.

No wonder some of y’all want to stop playing Clemson and Georgia, you’d rather see how good the MAC teams are.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is beating their chest about it but nice strawman. I've already said it's a bad loss and a game we shouldn't have lost, I just seem to be the only one who sees it wasn't AS bad a loss as it originally seemed, just like the loss against NIU in 2021 who ended up 9-5 that year and won the MAC. We still should have beaten both teams.

18 is still 2 scores less than 28, and UVA couldn't even manage a garbage time TD in their game and went scoreless for 3 straight quarters. Bowling Green had one really good quarter against us where they scored 21 of the 38 points while we threw a pick 6 and another interception. Outside of that the rest of the game was basically even, and I'm not sure BG ever put their backups in like you claim, until maybe the final drive of kneeling it out. Bazelak, their starting QB, was still playing with 4 minutes left in the 4th.
18 points vs 28 is really smaller than you think, especially when you consider UVA and Maryland had more drives.
The net PPD for our BG game was -1.88. The UVA / MD game was -2.49.

BG FEI rank is 98
MD FEI rank is 31

Our loss to BG is worse, with no doubt, than UVA losing to Maryland by 28.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We’ve got folks trying to justify a loss to a MAC team 4 weeks after it happened, and the day before one of the most important games Georgia Tech football has played in years.

No wonder some of y’all want to stop playing Clemson and Georgia, you’d rather see how good the MAC teams are.
THESE GUYS ARE CLASSIC ENGR TYPES - who hate to lose.
Me and most of us are still basking in the last game great football environment.
Our students rushed the field. The students won the top student section in nation. Our qb got major award. A previous gt coach was honored into football hall of fame. The team won against 17th ranked team on PRIME TIME TV. Defense some how stopped a top draft pick wr and qb to preserve the win.

oh about the uva game.

My wife had such a great time at the game she is planning to watch it with me tomorrow. Life is good.

Surely the yellow jackets can beat a team with amascot that's a cavailier (guy in tights, wearing a mask , pkus a silly hat w feather) that looks like he belongs on puss and boots can of cat food

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

:rolleyes: Reading comprehension on this board is quite poor

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Reading over at stats thread : UVA has only scored 24 points off turnovers while we have scored 48.

We have to play clean game and make them earn every point. Dont give them good field position and we win. .

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Muskett? Now there is an appropriate name for a quarterback. Is he a...gunslinger? cough
Laugh Lol GIF by Studios 2016

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Let me know which ranking system predicts through the end of season and not just to date. I'm not aware of one, but there are a lot out there so maybe you are.

It's pretty easy to understand actually. Your reply, to my comment stating that one loss was much worse than the other, suggests the two losses were basically equally bad in your eyes. By pointing out BG would destroy Citadel, I am reiterating that no, they are not equally bad. I've never said they aren't both bad losses, so I don't know why you and other keep trying to argue that point.
Um, you added the irrelevant point that the Citadel was worse. Who cares which is worse. It has nothing to do with BG being a bad loss.