UVA game thoughts

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
?

60 attempts for 60 yards this year

222 attempts for 216 yards in his career
that includes sacks. He had 66 yards with a long of 20 against unc. But yeah, not Constellanos back there, but capable of hurting you.
I wonder they were thinking of the other kid. The true freshman Colandrea DOES have some wheels but he hasn’t started since NC State a month ago.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Talent Composite:

GT #36
UVA #66

FEI Comparison:

Overall
GT #67
UVA #70

Offense
GT #43
UVA #76

Defense
GT #88
UVA #49

In terms of talent, GT has the advantage. IMO, anything within two tiers is about equal, and we're 3 tiers higher than UVA. We have the talent advantage, but it's not a chasm size advantage. Make no mistake, UVA is playing well right now. In their last 4 ACC games (NC State, Miami, UNC, BC), UVA could have easily won all 4. They did beat UNC, but lost by only 3 points to the other 3 teams. Tony Elliott has UVA playing their best football since he's taken over even if the record doesn't reflect it. It's UVA's defense that's been pacing their improved play.

The good thing is, GT's offense is coming off a game where our offense is playing close to an elite level. UNC is an elite offensive team, and GT was able to outgun them and their NFL QB. Can we continue that trend, or will we fall back into the pattern of playing well one game and playing atrocious the next? IMO, our offense when playing well is probably a top 20 offense.

Unfortunately, you can't play football without playing defense as well. Our defense is every bit as bad as our DFEI of #88, but the bright spot it seems our defense had moments of promise the 2nd half of UNC. Can we keep that going? UVA's offense isn't great, but our defense tends to make the other team's offense look elite.

Everyone knows GT's nightmares in Charlottesville. If we want to go bowling, IMO, we'll have to figure out a way to overcome the Charlottesville curse and beat UVA. If our offense plays well, and our defense just plays average, I think GT wins comfortably (by 2 TDs), but given our history in Charlottesville and our defensive struggles, our offense can not play a game full of mistakes (see BC and Bowling Green games) and expect to walk out of Charlottesville with a win.

This sets up to be a close game. Getting Smith back at RB helps a LOT. Not only to keep Jamal Haynes fresh, but because Smith is more of a natural runner and has homerun potential. I'll make a prediction that the team that wins the rushing battle will win the game. For GT, that means we need to minimize the time our defense is on the field because it's the side of the ball that's been a liability for us.

It'll be a nerve wracking game for us GT fans...but let's hope it all the nail biting ends in a GT win.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Talent Composite:

GT #36
UVA #66

FEI Comparison:

Overall
GT #67
UVA #70

Offense
GT #43
UVA #76

Defense
GT #88
UVA #49

In terms of talent, GT has the advantage. IMO, anything within two tiers is about equal, and we're 3 tiers higher than UVA. We have the talent advantage, but it's not a chasm size advantage. Make no mistake, UVA is playing well right now. In their last 4 ACC games (NC State, Miami, UNC, BC), UVA could have easily won all 4. They did beat UNC, but lost by only 3 points to the other 3 teams. Tony Elliott has UVA playing their best football since he's taken over even if the record doesn't reflect it. It's UVA's defense that's been pacing their improved play.

The good thing is, GT's offense is coming off a game where our offense is playing close to an elite level. UNC is an elite offensive team, and GT was able to outgun them and their NFL QB. Can we continue that trend, or will we fall back into the pattern of playing well one game and playing atrocious the next? IMO, our offense when playing well is probably a top 20 offense.

Unfortunately, you can't play football without playing defense as well. Our defense is every bit as bad as our DFEI of #88, but the bright spot it seems our defense had moments of promise the 2nd half of UNC. Can we keep that going? UVA's offense isn't great, but our defense tends to make the other team's offense look elite.

Everyone knows GT's nightmares in Charlottesville. If we want to go bowling, IMO, we'll have to figure out a way to overcome the Charlottesville curse and beat UVA. If our offense plays well, and our defense just plays average, I think GT wins comfortably (by 2 TDs), but given our history in Charlottesville and our defensive struggles, our offense can not play a game full of mistakes (see BC and Bowling Green games) and expect to walk out of Charlottesville with a win.

This sets up to be a close game. Getting Smith back at RB helps a LOT. Not only to keep Jamal Haynes fresh, but because Smith is more of a natural runner and has homerun potential. I'll make a prediction that the team that wins the rushing battle will win the game. For GT, that means we need to minimize the time our defense is on the field because it's the side of the ball that's been a liability for us.

It'll be a nerve wracking game for us GT fans...but let's hope it all the nail biting ends in a GT win.
Whoever does “Talent Composite” need to lose their job. No chance GT an average P5 team in talent. Just watch our defense and it’s obvious that side of the ball is talent deficient across the board.

Predicting how GT will play is impossible this year. We can play very well and very bad within the same half much less from game to game. UVA has been much more consistent than GT. Their high isn’t as high as GT’s high but their low is nowhere near as low as GT’s low.

Hope E + R = O and the O is good. Key had the Long Snapper explain that. Event + Response = Outcome. Only at GT

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
UVA has been much more consistent than GT. Their high isn’t as high as GT’s high but their low is nowhere near as low as GT’s low.
Not sure about the bolded. UVA has been throttled 49-13 and 42-14 which is way worse than any GT performance this season. UVA has been more consistent - at losing.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We lost to uva last year because our offense was absolutely terrible. 202 yards of total offense, and Sims and Gibson had QBRs of 8.2 and 7.5. Yes, you read that correctly. We have a much much better offense this year, and I think that will be the difference-maker this year.

UVA offensively is not great. They've been held to 14 pts or less 3 times this season, and have only crossed 30 twice, for an average of 23.875 pts/gm . Their QB Muskett is 12 of 14 in the conference in Total QBR. Defensively, they are allowing 30.875 pts/gm, 33.4 pts/gm against FBS.

We average 31.75pts/gm, both on offense and defense. I think we have done a much better job lately of finishing drives with points than we did at the beginning of the season.

We have played a bit harder schedule imo, and have a better record against common opponents.

Final score ends up something like 36-30 Tech.
You are aware, I assume, that we have won twice in the past 30 years at Scott Stadium aka the Hooville House of Horrors?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we are a far better team, we are a little better - they have been more dangerous since their starting QB came back.
In the FEI ratings GT is currently #67 and UVA is #70.

Frankly, they played significantly better against Miami than we did, but they came out with a tough OT loss, while GT got the biggest gift win of the season.
They had 100 more yards and 8 more first downs than Miami. Their QB is sort of an anti-King. He doesn't really do anything special, but he doesn't make many mistakes either.
Their WR - Washington, is one of the best I have seen all year. He's on pace to set single season receiving records at UVA.

Their record is somewhat deceiving due to their schedule.
Their losses are to TN (Top 20 ranked team, where their starting QB went down in the first quarter), a 1-pt loss to James Madison (an undefeated, top 25 ranked team) that they led for most of the game,
a blowout loss to MD, a 3-pt loss at BC that they led for much of the game (BC hit the winning FG with 2 minutes left), a 3-pt loss to NCST (where two 15-yd penalties allowed NCST to get into field goal range and make a FG at the buzzer), and a 3-pt OT loss at Miami.

Outside of the MD and TN Games, 2 early season games without their starting QB - they have been very competitive and have probably lost a couple of games they should have won. This may be where GT has an advantage. UVA is 0-4 in 3-pt games under Elliott and 2-7 in one score games.

I would not expect this to be an easy win and would be just happy to get out of Charlottesville with any kind of victory.
If you look at ACC stats GT is near the top in most offensive categories and near the bottom in most defensive categories. UVA tends to be in the middle on both sides of the ball.

I'm sort of expecting a close game in the 30's. It's Charlottesville - I just want a win. I'm not expecting it to be easy and a loss would not be surprising at all. I believe this is basically a pick'em game.
As usual, a wise take from Red. Ya'll better listen to him. That place is just jinxed for us and has been for three decades. My prediction is that we will either win close or lose close. I hate to put this on Haynes and the receivers but this game will come down to them. We have to turn this game into a track meet early and out of reach by the fourth quarter. Not sure we can do it. UVA is much better than their record would indicate.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The two games we came out flat were home games after a big road win. Win @ Wake (3-1), who at the time was coming off the big season, and then lose at home to BGSU. Win @ #17 Miami (4-1) and then lose at home to BC. This is different in that we beat UNC at BDS and now go on the road to UVA. We seem to focus better on the road. However... this road destination is the house of horrors for Tech football.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
Simply put, our chances of winning this game are slim. Virginia is a very dangerous team.

If we do manage the unthinkable and pull this out, it will mean our season has finally turned a corner.

Not expecting it.
Saying our chances are "slim" is a crazy statement. We're a better team — that doesn't mean we WILL win in the House of Hooville Horrors, but calling our chances "slim" is pretty ridiculous. We can't expect the team to do well until the fanbase believes in them too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I may be wrong but my gut tells me Coach Key is going to have our boys focused and fired all the Fing way up for this game
Agree, just want to include that Key will keep the OC calling plays that set up other plays.

Imo, the uva dl reads run first so we need we get King time to hit Leary or Singleton Deep.

This week KEY is focused on showing that GT s offense HAS MORPHED From pitiful TO a damn potent offense.

The defense is next.

sorry for bold type

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I thought I had a good stat, but after looking at the schedule, this will be the SECOND grass field we’ve played on this season so far. I thought it would be the first. Miami was the other.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
CPJ broke the Charlottesville curse, 2 wins up there iirc. Not saying it’s an easy place to win but It’s up to our guys to take this game by force and willpower. We have got to run the ball successfully on offense, Haynes King runs open up everything. Defense has got to stop the run and wrap up and tackle, rally 11 men to the ball.

Go Jackets!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Saying our chances are "slim" is a crazy statement. We're a better team — that doesn't mean we WILL win in the House of Hooville Horrors, but calling our chances "slim" is pretty ridiculous. We can't expect the team to do well until the fanbase believes in them too.
It has nothing to do with believing in this team. I love this team warts and all.

But I think even Georgia would get a scare right now if they went up to Charlottesville. Yes, I really believe that.

The problem is Virginia is playing at a highly competitive level right now and they are playing at home where we only seem to win one out of every ten games.

That’s slim chance in my book.