UVA game thoughts

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Don’t get smart with me.

Kenan Thompson Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Maybe perception of reality? Reality is what it is. Attempting to control it is rather delusional. Then again, perhaps that was your prof’s point.
Well, to clarify, we are not delusional but we are benighted. Everyone thinks their perception of reality is the correct one but the fact that we spend so much time “defending” reality is evidence of a fatal flaw in our perception. Hence, every conversation is an attempt to reassure ourselves by “controlling” reality.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Well, to clarify, we are not delusional but we are benighted. Everyone thinks their perception of reality is the correct one but the fact that we spend so much time “defending” reality is evidence of a fatal flaw in our perception. Hence, every conversation is an attempt to reassure ourselves by “controlling” reality.
In all seriousness, I don't know that all conversation is to control. Some is to clarify, some is to query, some is to request, etc. Some is to genuinely understand, and that is truly noble. The Word says, "in all your getting get understanding." (Prov. 4:7)

My brain hurts now. I don't often think that deep.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In all seriousness, I don't know that all conversation is to control. Some is to clarify, some is to query, some is to request, etc. Some is to genuinely understand, and that is truly noble. The Word says, "in all your getting get understanding." (Prov. 4:7)

My brain hurts now. I don't often think that deep.
Wittgenstein had categories (I’m digging back 50 years!) for ordinary language games which cover some of what you are referring to.

On the other hand there’s a very old mystical Christian tradition found in the Benedictines and other orders of taking a vow of silence. To oversimplify, our fallen nature is such that most of our words are useless and frivolous and filled with pride. We use them to puff ourselves up, manipulate others, and to reassure ourselves that we are in control of our own lives, forgetting that our lives are not ours.

But you’re right, this is too deep. I’ve cobbled together a lot of ideas and not done justice to any of them. But my initial comment, which started all of this, was born out of observing how passionate we can get on here defending our points of view. Lots of great thinkers over the last several centuries have commented on why we do that.