UVA game thoughts

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
We lost to uva last year because our offense was absolutely terrible. 202 yards of total offense, and Sims and Gibson had QBRs of 8.2 and 7.5. Yes, you read that correctly. We have a much much better offense this year, and I think that will be the difference-maker this year.

UVA offensively is not great. They've been held to 14 pts or less 3 times this season, and have only crossed 30 twice, for an average of 23.875 pts/gm . Their QB Muskett is 12 of 14 in the conference in Total QBR. Defensively, they are allowing 30.875 pts/gm, 33.4 pts/gm against FBS.

We average 31.75pts/gm, both on offense and defense. I think we have done a much better job lately of finishing drives with points than we did at the beginning of the season.

We have played a bit harder schedule imo, and have a better record against common opponents.

Final score ends up something like 36-30 Tech.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think we are a far better team, we are a little better - they have been more dangerous since their starting QB came back.
In the FEI ratings GT is currently #67 and UVA is #70.

Frankly, they played significantly better against Miami than we did, but they came out with a tough OT loss, while GT got the biggest gift win of the season.
They had 100 more yards and 8 more first downs than Miami. Their QB is sort of an anti-King. He doesn't really do anything special, but he doesn't make many mistakes either.
Their WR - Washington, is one of the best I have seen all year. He's on pace to set single season receiving records at UVA.

Their record is somewhat deceiving due to their schedule.
Their losses are to TN (Top 20 ranked team, where their starting QB went down in the first quarter), a 1-pt loss to James Madison (an undefeated, top 25 ranked team) that they led for most of the game,
a blowout loss to MD, a 3-pt loss at BC that they led for much of the game (BC hit the winning FG with 2 minutes left), a 3-pt loss to NCST (where two 15-yd penalties allowed NCST to get into field goal range and make a FG at the buzzer), and a 3-pt OT loss at Miami.

Outside of the MD and TN Games, 2 early season games without their starting QB - they have been very competitive and have probably lost a couple of games they should have won. This may be where GT has an advantage. UVA is 0-4 in 3-pt games under Elliott and 2-7 in one score games.

I would not expect this to be an easy win and would be just happy to get out of Charlottesville with any kind of victory.
If you look at ACC stats GT is near the top in most offensive categories and near the bottom in most defensive categories. UVA tends to be in the middle on both sides of the ball.

I'm sort of expecting a close game in the 30's. It's Charlottesville - I just want a win. I'm not expecting it to be easy and a loss would not be surprising at all. I believe this is basically a pick'em game.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Since Muskett took over, the offense seems to do just enough. Here's the last four games, many on the road:

@BC: 22/34 for 247 yds, 3 TD, 1 INT
vs W&M: 17/26 for 232 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
@UNC: 20/30 for 208 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT
@MIA: 24/38 for 239, 0 TD, 1INT

He's good for about 65% completion percentage, not a ton of yards, and a pick per game. They're susceptible to giving up yards. If King can sling it and limit mistakes, I think we can score enough to win. If he tries to do too much (BC, BG) I think the forced plays will be too much to overcome.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
  • Tech now ranks eighth nationally in sacks allowed (.8 per game), 18th in total offense (459.2 yards per game) and takeaways (15) 20th nationally in third down conversions (46.6), 21st in rushing offense (191.5 yards per game), 30th in passing yards per completion (13.5), 32nd in first downs (182), 38th in tackles for loss allowed (4.8 per game), 40th in passing offense (267.8 yards per game) and passing efficiency (148.5) and 43rd in scoring offense (31.8 ppg).
  • Tech now ranks 107th nationally in scoring defense (31.8 ppg allowed), 109th in first downs allowed (181), 113th in tackles for loss (4.4 per game), 119th in third down defense (46.8), 120th in red zone defense (93.9), 128th in total defense (468.2 yards allowed per game) and 129th in rush defense (232.6 yards per game).
  • King now ranks fifth nationally with 21 passing touchdowns, seventh with 146 points responsible for and 323 yards of total offense per game, 24th with 13.6 yards per completion and 28th with 2,122 passing yards.
  • Singleton is now Tech’s highest-graded offensive player overall this season, according to Pro Football Focus. Safety Clayton Powell-Lee is the team’s top defensive player and safety Jaylon King is the Jackets’ top special teams performer.
  • Virginia is 14-4-1 against Tech in Charlottesville and the Jackets have lost four straight there.
  • The Jackets’ 12 opponents are now a combined 60-36. Tech’s four wins were against teams that are currently 19-13, its four losses against teams a combined 26-9 and its remaining four games are against teams that are a combined 18-14.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am scared to death. The team hasn’t showed they can respond to success. We have, once again, a chance to win 3 in a row and turn this program around if we handle business the next 2 weeks. This is a critical game to show maturity. My dream is we simply come out and handle business and don’t need 5 turnovers or a miracle to win. Just play better than the other team and walk out with a W.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm sort of expecting a close game in the 30's. It's Charlottesville - I just want a win. I'm not expecting it to be easy and a loss would not be surprising at all. I believe this is basically a pick'em game.
I agree with your analysis completely. Their defense is clearly better than ours. Our offense CAN BE better than theirs. BUT, our offense has had good games (UNC) and poor games (BC). We clealy will need "good" Offense GT to show up to have a chance in Charlottesville. It's possible, but I think UVa being favored is the most realistic assessment going into this game. I'm thinking a slim win for UVa, unfortuntaely. And hoping GT proves me wrong. But, they'll need to either score 46 again, OR they'll need to find something on defense they haven't shown since Wake Forest.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am scared to death. The team hasn’t showed they can respond to success. We have, once again, a chance to win 3 in a row and turn this program around if we handle business the next 2 weeks. This is a critical game to show maturity. My dream is we simply come out and handle business and don’t need 5 turnovers or a miracle to win. Just play better than the other team and walk out with a W.
4 in a row. Just sayin', Syracuse is less talented than CU. But, let's start with 2-in-a-row.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the low attempts for Muskett makes him look better than he is in terms of mistakes. Muskett is averaging an INT on 2.7% of his throws, King on 4%. Better, but not a LOT better, and they’ve both been throwing about 30ish attempts a game lately. If GT doesn’t get down big and King starts pressing I’d expect just one INT or so for each.

But King throws TDs over twice as frequently. ;)

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
?

60 attempts for 60 yards this year

222 attempts for 216 yards in his career
My man raining facts :ROFLMAO:

Make It Rain Nerd GIF by St. Paul Saints

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Because it is Charlottesville I see us definitely as dogs in this game, add to that we won our last game which doesn't bode well for this game. If Dontae plays that could help our running game, I don't see any reason for him not to play. Still not sure it will be enough to get us over our UVA hump.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The gt defense will make adjustments to be more aggressive.

we will win big because we pass first and run scond

They cant score enough.