USF Postgame #USFvsGT

GT_EE78

Banned
Yes the play where Camp was overthrown up the seam on a predetermined decision by the qb with another receiver wide open. There were people to blame on that play as always but Camp isn’t the one by a mile.
I also noticed the guy by the sideline who looked very open, the camera crew seemed to swing late from the QB to the receivers so the open guy's defender was already moving toward Camp. I was puzzled if he picked the right receiver too. just wasn't sure.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I may be the only one, but I'm okay with the way the coaches are using the quarterbacks. I think they are just playing the hand they're dealt. Oliver has the most experience and won't lose the game for you, but they can't run the offense they want to run because he can't throw it well enough. One or both of the other two may take them where they want to go, but they lack experience. So Oliver gets the most snaps while the others gain experience a little each game.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
We're getting better. This defense is miles ahead of what we have had the last decade. It's like our offense and defense sort of swapped. It still seems like it's going to take time to get our offense down, people complaining we run to.much would complain if we threw an interception. We have to face the fact that this year might be more run heavy due to the nature of our qb selection. Kinda of reminds me of Georgia Southern a few years back running the option out of the shotgun . It may take most of the season to get the throwing game down , that's part of the rebuilding. We will get to a pro style offense in time. We have a very run based player selection

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
I may be the only one, but I'm okay with the way the coaches are using the quarterbacks. I think they are just playing the hand they're dealt. Oliver has the most experience and won't lose the game for you, but they can't run the offense they want to run because he can't throw it well enough. One or both of the other two may take them where they want to go, but they lack experience. So Oliver gets the most snaps while the others gain experience a little each game.
Nope....it means they are getting a third of the snaps they should be during practice and it leaves the O without a leader.....and the results are predictable.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Now on a real positive, it is evident our vast improvement in strength and conditioning is making a huge difference. Even with as much as they played the defense did not look gassed. And did you all notice the plays where their QB would try to get outside and our D-lineman cut off the angles and ran him down. Charlie Thomas is a stud also. Didn't see much of BJS, is he not playing? And Mason looks a lot stronger.
I think he recorded one or two tackles.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No complaints about the defense at all. I thought they played great. I am happy that we tried to do more on offense than last week but man, the offense is a hot mess with no identity, and terrible line play.

If USF doesn’t get the idiotic 5 yard penalty near the the goal line then we likely lose at home against a really bad team who was playing a bad game. This is going to be a long season. Hopefully our defense can carry us to a few wins.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
IIRC we lost 2 starters to the “targeting” rule last year: Carpenter in the 1st(he had a pic earlier) and Curry in the 2nd. That one was a “booth review”. Was at the game and no one knew what happened. Hurt us badly at the end of the game in that brutal heat. Poetic Justice this year! Only inches(who really knows) from disaster in this game. Just glad the officials didn’t call it a TD on the field. I think it happened so quickly the linesmen couldn’t tell.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Also heard the train whistle/horn was not used today? Is that true for those that were there? I sure hope we are not throwing another tradition away.
You heard correctly. No "steam whistle" for first downs, nor do I recall hearing it when we scored a TD. (But I may have been making too much noise when we did to hear it.)

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
How big was that tackle at the 1 yard line and ensuing Goal-line stand, then the even fumble recovery! I can’t remember the last time we got a stop like that. Huge day for our defense, really excited about that.

I thought Graham made a beautiful throw, I really think he should get the start anda bunch of reps next week, this qb shuffle stuff is BS

@ UGA 2014 (Nick Chubb)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I also noticed the guy by the sideline who looked very open, the camera crew seemed to swing late from the QB to the receivers so the open guy's defender was already moving toward Camp. I was puzzled if he picked the right receiver too. just wasn't sure.

That’s deceptive. The CB is playing Cov 3 with inside technique staying deepest of the deepest. The #1 WR wasn’t open, the CB just came off him

Scubapro

Banned
I haven't read through this post...just got home. But from what I saw I think Patenaude (sp?) is a turd. I could find guys off the street to call a better game than that. We are lucky they didn't beat our brains in.
I hope I am wrong. I hope Dave turns into the second coming of Spurrier, Friedgen and Myer rolled into one...but from what I saw today...his ****ing days are numbered.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Thought:

D is legit. There will be a few breakdowns, but it is refreshing to see actual solid D play

Money down is an annoying gimic. You can wave the signs...but call it 3rd down.

Oliver showed that he has a place in the O. The running game is more open when he is in. I loved seeing him in the slot.

As much as we praise Lucas throwing ability...he is not letting the ball loose and doesn't have the speed the other two QBs have

Got lucky on some calls in the 2nd half. Needed to be able to score there.

Graham should have seen more time. He got buried on that 2nd down and there's nothing he could have done.

Based in what I've seen...I think we're lucky to get to 5 games. D is good, we have no power in kickoffs, and the O looks to be lacking. Hopefully I'm wrong on the last part. If you go back to the first two games of 2008 against VT and Bc, it was the Josh Nesbitt scramble show.

Hopefully we find an O before Temple.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'll admit I was a little drunk and not oaying that much attention, but the targeting seemed like pretty obvious call to me?
It was obvious for sure. We are just lucky that it happened, or we'd have been punting instead of being able to run out the clock. It also helped that their defensive coach got a technical too... Moved us 30 yards downfield.

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You heard correctly. No "steam whistle" for first downs, nor do I recall hearing it when we scored a TD. (But I may have been making too much noise when we did to hear it.)

Why are we taking away GREAT traditions? That makes no sense. I am o.k. with new things, but the traditional things that make GT football GT football, let's not do away with, please.