USF Postgame #USFvsGT

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
FG B-? Nah I would go with C- considering how far off our one attempt was

2/2 on XPs, and the protection looked good on them, as well as the FG attempt. The FG kick itself was bad but it was also a pretty darn long kick, so maybe I didn't grade as harshly for the inaccuracy with power required to make the kick. But it's pretty subjective so I if you say C- I see how you got there.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Now on a real positive, it is evident our vast improvement in strength and conditioning is making a huge difference.

Kelton Dawson looked huge and at one point I saw one of our players manhandle a USF OL and upon closer inspection it was #91 Dawson.

I also think our D was not gassed in 4th quarter like it typically has been. Rotating in all those players plus the conditioning seems to have helped.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Wanna hear a hot take? But I think it’s accurate:

Our vertical passing game with the same qbs was 10x better last year in the flex than it is with this scheme.

I’ll run and hide now lol
I agree, if only because TaQuon would literally only throw long bombs, so naturally the few that were caught were big plays. This time, 11 completions for 45 yards by Lucas, that yard per completion is baddd.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Camp slowed up mid route. Perfect throw.
Agree - really had some zip.

The ol / rb huddle is on south end of bench - observations
Good news
Everyone is listening in and thats a good thing because by end of game it looked like an ER w all the crutches and carts.
First big injuries
1. MINIHAN Knee- he is a good linemen.
2. Clark left shoulder in sling.
3. Cooper got hurt but kept playing till they made him come out.
4. Lagood was out of his shoulder pads

Really liked jaz Lee's play 110% energy.
70 was having trouble and got subd.
Defoor moved inside some and did well. Defoor is very good. Quenny did ok , but he looks thin against the large usf dline. May be perfect w smaller guys because he is agile and long.

Lay came in and played center - big suprise to me

Hansen - was dancing around on sidelines - encourgaing his teammates and the crowd.

Mlb is a mystry to me.
I loved the defensive aligmnt for 3 and 10. 1 dt in middle and lots of olb and safties moving arohnd then 5 blitzing. Great pressure and contain.

I will enjoy the all american punter , the aggressive defense, and due to ol injuries i will be patient w offense. Plus the guys played hard.
Go Jackets

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
I think wells doesn't have power. They did this last year too where they had wells do the closer kicks and king do the ones that were further out.

Considering wells got the scholarship and king didn't I dunno what's happening though.

Kick offs seemed pretty short too

GTFLETCH

Banned
Pick. A. QB.

That’s the main job before Citadel. I don’t care who it is, but pick a guy and stop this random rotating bullcrap.
Agree... We need to pick one before ACC play or it will be real tough.... And for those who care. Tobias was the QB on both scoring drives... Although they brought LJ to hand off to JP on the one score

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
One note on the swinging gate play. The number advantage was there for the screen throw. If you watch it again you can see the guy in the rear (no. "4") asking for help and not getting it. Numbers wise the right call there is to throw the screen. But instead we did a sweep to the side they had more guys. Not the right move.

Swinging gate.png

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
One note on the swinging gate play. The number advantage was there for the screen throw. If you watch it again you can see the guy in the rear (no. "4") asking for help and not getting it. Numbers wise the right call there is to throw the screen. But instead we did a sweep to the side they had more guys. Not the right move.

View attachment 6621
My only question is do we need to be running swinging gate plays in a close game in the second game of a new scheme? I’d rather we focus on executing our core offense.

slugboy

Staff member
The team played with a lot of guts on a hot miserable day. More and more, they’re going to have their backs against the wall and think “we can do this”. This game was a confidence builder

I felt throughout the game that we had the chance to score a lot more points and ice the game.

We are so much better on special teams. Brown’s over the shoulder punt catch was impressive but a little scary. One fumble recovery could have made this a really comfortable game. Our field goal game didn’t look good, though—hard to be farther wide right without going over the sideline.

Going on defense and driving an opponent back is a huge improvement. I know we won’t hold on every third and long, but I feel like we’re going to win a strong majority them

Lee gets my game ball [emoji458]. He got pulled onto offense. We reshuffled people around. We were down a number of players and playing out of their preferred positions. I think that’s why we didn’t win big today—if our starters stay on the field, we’re not a top offense, but we’re efficient enough to break their defense. In the first half, USF’s defensive line was struggling. They’d have fatigued and folded if our starters hadn’t gotten hurt

We had some badly missed blocks on offense that could have sprung big gains if they’d been made

I’ll have to look at the replay, but I understand we had technique issues on our pass blocking. We get that partially addressed, and we’re a lot better. If our QBs can spot the open receivers, better still.

I’m encouraged. Hope we get our guys healthy and learn from this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Kudos to Defense for the win. Thankful also for some great breaks on near disaster plays (Brown dropped punt that bounced back to him and Oliver’s recovery of bad snap to run for first down) and timely penalties by USF.

I’m not a fan of play calling....trying to throw 4 yard passes is not fun or smart imo. I definitely would blame coaches if it had been an L today.

Love seeing Oliver and Graham together. Stop the silly line up play that doesn’t work. On goal line and short yards get under center! I don’t mind the rotation of QB but I think they don’t know how to call the right plays at the right time with the right QB.

Not a fan of no whistle, no roving band in 3rd...but REALLY annoyed that there were NO stats on the scoreboard!