USF Postgame #USFvsGT

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
My only question is do we need to be running swinging gate plays in a close game in the second game of a new scheme? I’d rather we focus on executing our core offense.

If it works then it's a good call. If it doesn't work then it's not. It doesn't have a good track record thus far but the play is there to be made.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Defensively we played to our strengths and left our corners/safeties on islands at times (see the stack plays) giving us a numbers advantage in the box to be disruptive.

Offensively, I honestly think we are in trouble. We are not consistent in sustaining drives and I am in the camp that says pick a qb and build around what he does well. I think it will help the others on the offense play better. We are trying to do too much by rotating three guys. It keeps us from being able to execute a set of plays consistently.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts from the game:
- Idk what they did special for entrance to the field. Whatever it was it didn't stand out.

-Didn't notice a dj anywhere in the student section, and I looked multiple times.

-Defense played mostly well except maybe the long run by Barnett where he should have been sacked. The d line didn't get much penetration but didn't get blown up. The lb play was mostly garbage again, particularly by a certain lb who won't be named.

-The constant qb shuffling is annoying. LJ is the clear #3 to me- he kinda passes okay, but just doesn't have the "it" factor like Graham or TO and doesn't run as well. I want to see TO or Graham start next week and only those two at QB. I did like getting both in there at the same time as well.

- Why is King kicking? Maybe he has the stronger leg, but he's inaccurate af and his leg clearly isn't that strong since we can't manage a touchback.

-Special teams for the most part is satisfctory, which is a helluva lot better than it was previously. Not worried about guys taking it to the house on us constantly, at least so far.

-The money down thing is awful and needs to go. Its third down.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I knew our O almost had to take a BIG step back this year while we try to implement a new system. So, for me, I am not in despair, because I guess I expected this.

I am pleasantly surprised that our team has been, for the most part, very disciplined and kept penalties to a minimum. I would be in more despair if our team was beating itself like USF did today.

This is a great take on what we've seen so far. Of course I say that because I agree with it completely... :D

The more I think about this game the more I'm wondering how much the injuries to Minihan and especially Cooper limited how much the coaches let Graham play. Now that I've had a chance to digest the game a bit I can imagine a scenario in my head where the coaches think to themselves "well with the line injuries let's keep the QBs in we feel are the steadiest and most experienced" (experienced in this case meaning both game experience and just years of being around the program).

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
it does actually. The back-foot dead-duck floaters of the last 2 years got picked more often than not. Couldn't really blame PJ for not throwing it more! LJ's inaccurate rifles were only gonna be caught or souvenirs for someone in the front row lol

Since we threw 9 total interceptions over those 2 years and are already at 3. Definitely true right

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
I think coach Collins is going to have to start throwing the ball downfield some. You can’t keep saying this is a pro style NFL based offense when it is obviously not. I also think he has got to play graham, he is the only one that actually looks like a QB in the pocket. Lucas looks very tentative and indecisive, Tobias is a heck of a runner but no threat in the passing game. Also I don’t know who installed the “ lose 2 yards on every first down play” but we need to scrap that lol.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
How big was that tackle at the 1 yard line and ensuing Goal-line stand, then the even fumble recovery! I can’t remember the last time we got a stop like that. Huge day for our defense, really excited about that.

I thought Graham made a beautiful throw, I really think he should get the start anda bunch of reps next week, this qb shuffle stuff is BS

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How big was that tackle at the 1 yard line and ensuing Goal-line stand, then the even fumble recovery! I can’t remember the last time we got a stop like that. Huge day for our defense, really excited about that.

I thought Graham made a beautiful throw, I really think he should get the start anda bunch of reps next week, this qb shuffle stuff is BS
Jasper Sanks

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Before I read through the above, just some quick thoughts.

Harvin is a stud punter!

The USF punter is pretty good too.

The D made some big plays to "win" the game.

Losing two starting O line players hurt.

The D pass rush was much improved in the 2nd half.

It was freaking hot in the stands.

Got some "lucky bounces" including the targeting penalty.

Tobias deserves more credit than many are giving him.

Tip of the cap to Mason, some real good runs [emoji106]

Disappointed with the offense overall today. Too many negative yardage pass and run plays.
If USF would have scored a TD towards the end of the 4th quarter, I am not sure that the offense would have been able to score before time expired.

Damn glad we got the W today.

Last edited:

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes... yes it was.

All in all, love where we are going with Defense. Offense needs to find itself. I think we see Graham start next week and we will see him and Oliver get majority of snaps. Then maybe more of that against Temple. After that, we will surely know who our guy is by UNC game or we will have a very long year. If we find our guy at QB, things will begin to look up for us.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Before I read through the above, just some quick thoughts.

Harvin is a stud punter!

The USF punter is pretty good too.

The D made some big plays to "win" the game.

Losing two starting O line players hurt.

The D pass rush was much improved in the 2nd half.

Got some "lucky bounces" including the targeting penalty.

Tobias deserves more credit than many are giving him.

Tip of the cap to Mason, some real good runs [emoji106]

Disappointed with the offense overall today. Too many negative yardage pass and run plays.
If USF would have scored a TD towards the end of the 4th quarter, I am not sure that the offense would have been able to score before time expired.

Damn glad we got the W today.
I'll admit I was a little drunk and not oaying that much attention, but the targeting seemed like pretty obvious call to me?

Jacket 83

Georgia Tech Fan
I didn’t get to see the game due to work. What is the status of the two injured lineman? How long are the out?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
O takes longer to gel. Rotating QBs confuses the other team and allows the best on the field to show out.

Also confuses the other team as much as some of our fans.

We won. Great game and energy. We'll get better on O and D is already much better. We lost to these guys last year.

Yes. No. No. Yes.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Absolutely, do you know which play I’m referring to? The Ball was legitimately catchable, and I’m pretty sure even Bedford used the term “Alligator Arms” to describe what he did. I commend Jalen for his outstanding perimeter blocking today, but he could’ve made a more assertive attempt to catch that ball.
Didn't listen to the radio call in the stands. But, I made the same comment about gator arming the attempt to catch that pass. Maybe it will be more obvious is to why it look that way when I watch the DVR.