USF Postgame #USFvsGT

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
THE. TO. IS. GONE. THOUGH.
I agree though - talking about the PJ Era should be totally fine, both pros and cons. Not sure why doing so triggers so many GT fans.
I don’t think anyone truly understands how much a percentage of GT fans were (and still are) in LOVE with the triple-O and CPJ’s adjustments and play calling. I guess it was incredibly appealing to the brain of certain engineer types? I enjoyed it mostly and supported CPJ to the end but i’m over it and am sick of the arguing. This forum sprang up near the beginning of his era and many here are just married to the past i guess.

Omg i love that! Does anyone have a clip of TK Chimedza crushing USF’s qb Bennett when he tried to scramble? I’m not sure if he ever returned to the game, it was a brutal hit.
Obviously making plays like that against USF is not the same as making them against better teams, but that is such an awesome play, and I really believe we will be seeing more and more of them against better and better opponents. Even if we don't do much of anything else against the mutts this year, I would LOVE to see us do that to Jake Fromm several times in November. That alone would be worth the price of admission.

As much as I LOVED CPJ and loved watching the TO churn out those yards, when all the pieces were in place to do so, I still, throughout his entire time at Tech, compared (so to speak) him to Ralph Friedgen. Fridge probably did more to produce the 1990 NC than Ross actually did, and I always thought that Fridge should have been named HC at Tech at some point. I can only dream about what a coach with the combined offensive acumen of CPJ and Fridge might have done, but I am glad we had both, even if Fridge was only the OC. I guess what I'm saying is that fans are always going to compare the current situation to previous ones. I hope nobody is writing off Collins or Coach Pat after only 2 games, and just because we sometimes bring up names from the past doesn't mean that we are writing them off. But it's just hard not to compare to the past, when, mostly due to insufficient talent to make it work, their plans have not YET born fruition. If I criticize a certain play or hold up for comparison what somebody else might have been done in the past, that doesn't mean that I am down on anybody; I have hopes and dreams of success just like I would have had with anybody else as coach too. Unless they just start doing absurdly stupid things, I am with all of them 100%.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t CPJ have contract extension that ran through next year. Anyway, that doesn’t matter now but I think it would be really weird if the new regime wasn’t being compared to old regime, especially as polarizing as the TO seemed to be.

Rest assured that every true GT fan wants to see CGC succeed. For those who like CPJ, myself included, I am very curious if CGC’s approach, which is a 180 degree departure from CPJ, will succeed.

I expected this year and next year to be bumpy. This year because of the novelty and next year because of the schedule. 2021 is when my expectations for CGC will really change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apropos of nothing, his contract ran at least 2 more seasons, I believe. He had a million dollar parachute clause put in because he wasn't sure how much longer he wanted to coach.

As for the TO being polarizing, that was only true for those who loved it unconditionally and those who hated it in the same way. The majority of us liked it when it was working and didn't like it when it stopped working enough.

Ya'll can knock yourselves out with the comparisons, but I just don't think it's particularly useful and don't be surprised if the results of such comparisons don't prove what you think they do. Our offense was really bad at times last year and not just against Clemson and uga (Pitt, Duke, Minnesota come to mind). The bloom was off that rose and that's what some aren't willing to admit. By the same token, some aren't willing to admit that the offense served us really, really well at times in the past, too. I believe both sides of the debate have staked out black and white positions when there are lots of shades of grey in between.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Apropos of nothing, his contract ran at least 2 more seasons, I believe. He had a million dollar parachute clause put in because he wasn't sure how much longer he wanted to coach.

As for the TO being polarizing, that was only true for those who loved it unconditionally and those who hated it in the same way. The majority of us liked it when it was working and didn't like it when it stopped working enough.

Ya'll can knock yourselves out with the comparisons, but I just don't think it's particularly useful and don't be surprised if the results of such comparisons don't prove what you think they do. Our offense was really bad at times last year and not just against Clemson and uga (Pitt, Duke, Minnesota come to mind). The bloom was off that rose and that's what some aren't willing to admit. By the same token, some aren't willing to admit that the offense served us really, really well at times in the past, too. I believe both sides of the debate have staked out black and white positions when there are lots of shades of grey in between.

I was always a huge fan of the spread option that CPJ used. That said, I was similarly highly critical of CPJ last year for failing to go with Tobias Oliver when it was clear that his on-field production was simply better than Marshall's. It is okay to both support something and have critical commentary. That is my same take with the new staff's offensive (and particularly QB) decisions.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that’s what most other teams call a Wildcat QB, no?

yeah pretty much. It'd be interesting to let TO throw it every now and then out of that package, which would lessen the predictability factor. I remember this formation being all the rage in the NFL for about half a season before it got mostly abandoned when NFL defenses just started focusing on the QB Keeper angle of it.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
yeah pretty much. It'd be interesting to let TO throw it every now and then out of that package, which would lessen the predictability factor. I remember this formation being all the rage in the NFL for about half a season before it got mostly abandoned when NFL defenses just started focusing on the QB Keeper angle of it.
Lots of things work well in college football that don't work well in the NFL. I like our chances for a good play when TO runs a keeper. And it's not like he can't throw the ball at all. Go back and look at the pass he threw to Howard at Clemson.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I love how you automatically assume I hate CGC. What if i told you i was absolutely in love with hows he transformed the defense. But you know, I think the offense is suffering because of it. The offense is specifically running a scheme that will help the defense prepare, forcing it to be more multiple than personnel support. The idea is to do just enough to win and let the defense close it out. Am i doing this right? Sorry I have a hard time dumbing my thought process down to match yours.
Just like Chan!

Well, not really, but it's been a long time since I could say that the D pulled our chestnuts out of the fire. I liked that a lot and I expected it. On O we are doing what we should be, but we aren't doing it all that well. To see what I mean think of what Paul wanted his QB to be: the best runner on field who could throw. We have three QB candidates who can all really run, who can all throw, and are learning a new O. It isn't that the new O is more complex then the spread option; it's that it is complex in a different way. Also, since the D isn't looking run first and can blitz with more success, the WRs are having to get used to shorter routes and less single coverage.

This is a learning process. I don't know why so many here seem to think that we can just jump off the turnip truck and be dy-no-mite in a new O. The coaches are having to learn as well. I think Patenaude is being honest about the talent he sees on the field, but learning how to use them and settling, especially, on who's going to run the show will simply take awhile. I'm not sure who that will be, but at present it seems comes down to Tobias and James. We have to have a little patience while this works its way out.

Animal02

Banned
Just like Chan!

Well, not really, but it's been a long time since I could say that the D pulled our chestnuts out of the fire. I liked that a lot and I expected it. On O we are doing what we should be, but we aren't doing it all that well. To see what I mean think of what Paul wanted his QB to be: the best runner on field who could throw. We have three QB candidates who can all really run, who can all throw, and are learning a new O. It isn't that the new O is more complex then the spread option; it's that it is complex in a different way. Also, since the D isn't looking run first and can blitz with more success, the WRs are having to get used to shorter routes and less single coverage.

This is a learning process. I don't know why so many here seem to think that we can just jump off the turnip truck and be dy-no-mite in a new O. The coaches are having to learn as well. I think Patenaude is being honest about the talent he sees on the field, but learning how to use them and settling, especially, on who's going to run the show will simply take awhile. I'm not sure who that will be, but at present it seems comes down to Tobias and James. We have to have a little patience while this works its way out.
The coaches are paid way to much to learn on the job. Trying to prep and run three QBs because they cannot make a decision or whatever, is simply foolish. Y
They will not progress if they are all splitting practice snaps.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The coaches are paid way to much to learn on the job. Trying to prep and run three QBs because they cannot make a decision or whatever, is simply foolish. Y
They will not progress if they are all splitting practice snaps.

I thought about signing up for a new GTSwarm account just so I could “like” your post a second time.

The game slows down for players when they get more reps and more confidence. It seems especially important for QBs since they are doing so much before the ball is even snapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Just like Chan!

the WRs are having to get used to shorter routes and less single coverage.

This is a learning process. I don't know why so many here seem to think that we can just jump off the turnip truck and be dy-no-mite in a new O.

First if they are being double covered someone isnt covered. The point of a spread set is to generate one on one matchups or flood zones.

Second no one was expecting us to come out world destroyers on offense. What I did expect however was an identity. The sad thi g is I actually saw an identity in the spring game. We were constantly threatening downfield passing we mixed in a zone read option with an air raid style attack. I almost wonder if we dont have to much in the playbook and therefore we arent good at anything

LibertyTurns

Banned
This man speaks the truth.

I loved the physical nature of the offense, the strategy, the beating superior opponents, etc. Not just beating superior opponents, demolishing them. Crazy good times.

I didn’t like the stubbornness, the inflexibility, the awful stretches at times where we were clueless, the getting hog tied by weaker teams, etc. I really did not like getting our butts whipped by crappy teams. Horrible lows.

Polarizing. Maddening. Unbelievable at both ends of the spectrum. The best and worst of GT football happening nearly simultaneously.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I loved the physical nature of the offense, the strategy, the beating superior opponents, etc. Not just beating superior opponents, demolishing them. Crazy good times.

I didn’t like the stubbornness, the inflexibility, the awful stretches at times where we were clueless, the getting hog tied by weaker teams, etc. I really did not like getting our butts whipped by crappy teams. Horrible lows.

Polarizing. Maddening. Unbelievable at both ends of the spectrum. The best and worst of GT football happening nearly simultaneously.
Wow, such a great post, that perfectly describes how i felt about it......love/hate relationship

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of things work well in college football that don't work well in the NFL. I like our chances for a good play when TO runs a keeper. And it's not like he can't throw the ball at all. Go back and look at the pass he threw to Howard at Clemson.

I definitely think a package should be there for TO and that he should throw it occasionally.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

The problem was that winning was never the most important thing. Winning a particular way was.