USF Postgame #USFvsGT

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
And you CPJ scheme haters crack me up. Obviously CGC is not going to continue CPJ's scheme, but when the players he inherited are more attuned to that scheme FOR NOW, then he would be stupid not to capitalize on it. It's going to take some time to break old habits and to get new material, but why on earth would you want to try to cram square pegs into round holes and not accommodate until you get more round pegs? That's why starting Tobias at Clemson made PERFECT sense, and why it may still make sense to continue starting him until either LJ or Graham or even a new recruit can actually operate the new system, which none of them apparently currently can.

It makes the most sense to start Graham IMO. Your Clemson argument must be directed at someone else - I don't disagree that TO was a good starter for that particular game.

It doesn't make sense to continue using the old system though. Just because CGC inherited linemen used to dive blocking doesn't mean we should continue dive blocking and the TO. We need to start moving away from that old scheme, no matter how much the PJ Schemers protest it. And PJ did leave behind some capable WRs that we should continue incorporating more into the offense than just edge blockers.

It's past time that we pull off the TO Band Aid and I saw some nice first steps in that direction on Saturday. I'm not against putting TO in on a situational basis but his inability to throw well makes even those play predictable, since everyone knows it's gonna be a QB Keeper. Still, the guy is a playmaker and deserves to be on the field quite a bit.

From my limited-2-game-eye test, Graham seems to be the best fit at both running and passing that the new scheme requires. I say start him.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I love how you automatically assume I hate CGC. What if i told you i was absolutely in love with hows he transformed the defense. But you know, I think the offense is suffering because of it. The offense is specifically running a scheme that will help the defense prepare, forcing it to be more multiple than personnel support. The idea is to do just enough to win and let the defense close it out. Am i doing this right? Sorry I have a hard time dumbing my thought process down to match yours.

LOL - the predictable insult. Right on time! "But the offense is suffering!!", says msg-board guy thru a whole 2 games. It's laughably impossible to take your opinion seriously.

The old scheme is thankfully, mercifully gone. Let. It. Go.

Last edited:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I do support the new coach and scheme. I've been cautioning everyone to give CGC a chance to get his players in before judging him. I was sitting in my seats throughout that heat Saturday cheering for my team. Were you there?

The big difference between you and I being I am able to cheer on the new staff without crapping on the old staff. You seem pretty incapable of that.

The constant defense of the old regime is really strange and cultish. Pointing out that the old scheme had trouble completing...hell, even attempting passes isn't "crapping on 'em". It's just the truth. Pointing out 43 Completions for an Entire Season (2017) isn't "crapping on 'em" - it's just the truth.

I'll share some insight with you: Neither PJ nor any of the old staff is reading these messages so you aren't earning any brownie points with them. Also, comparing objective statistics about previous GT teams isn't crapping on anyone.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I didn't go through this whole thread, but I'm sure there is a lot of complaining ... not for me I loved it !!
Defense was great = running, hitting and tackling !! USF = 4/15 on 3rd down conversions !! Two penalties = GT discipline !!
We were delusional thinking the offense was going to be a juggernaut, a QB hasn't stepped up and the OL needs work pass-blocking, but the effort is there and glad to see us grind it out.
Not sure if I see 6 wins or not, but I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching this team !!
BTW, Loved the white helmet and uni's ...

It makes the most sense to start Graham IMO. Your Clemson argument must be directed at someone else - I don't disagree that TO was a good starter for that particular game.

It doesn't make sense to continue using the old system though. Just because CGC inherited linemen used to dive blocking doesn't mean we should continue dive blocking and the TO. We need to start moving away from that old scheme, no matter how much the PJ Schemers protest it. And PJ did leave behind some capable WRs that we should continue incorporating more into the offense than just edge blockers.

It's past time that we pull off the TO Band Aid and I saw some nice first steps in that direction on Saturday. I'm not against putting TO in on a situational basis but his inability to throw well makes even those play predictable, since everyone knows it's gonna be a QB Keeper. Still, the guy is a playmaker and deserves to be on the field quite a bit.

From my limited-2-game-eye test, Graham seems to be the best fit at both running and passing that the new scheme requires. I say start him.
I agree that Graham SEEMS to be the best fit, but I'm just not sure he's ready to start YET. If Collins decides to start him, fine; I won't object. But I don't think Lucas should ever start again.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a lot of overstatement going on. Does anyone remember getting shut out for a half against Pitt last year and narrowly avoiding it vs. Duke? And that was with a senior QB with a full year of starting under his belt and an O-line that should have known what they are doing. I don't mean this as a CPJ vs CGC thing. It's just that early season offensive struggles are not unusual, even under better circumstances. I am not expecting an offensive explosion like we had against Louisville last year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see incremental improvement. Our cupcake and bye week come at a perfect time this year to get some things right. If the O-line injuries aren't serious, I am betting Key can get them coached up into something serviceable. Maybe we won't improve quickly enough to win many games this year, but to think that the USF game is the high water mark for our offense doesn't make any sense to me.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The constant defense of the old regime is really strange and cultish. Pointing out that the old scheme had trouble completing...hell, even attempting passes isn't "crapping on 'em". It's just the truth. Pointing out 43 Completions for an Entire Season (2017) isn't "crapping on 'em" - it's just the truth.

I'll share some insight with you: Neither PJ nor any of the old staff is reading these messages so you aren't earning any brownie points with them. Also, comparing objective statistics about previous GT teams isn't crapping on anyone.

You still read about Dodd, Gailey, Ross, Lewis, and other past coaches on this board. When you consider that CPJ was our last coach and had many successes, it makes sense that you will get a healthy dose of CPJ talk for a very long time...even if CGC is successful.

CPJ. ISN’T. GOING. AWAY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You can use the term "overstatement" or freaking out, or over the top - lot of terms work here.
We are a team predicted to win 3-4 games in a year with a huge transition from a TO based offense to a pro style/more modern/whatever you want to call it offense. OL recruited for a totally different system, SR QB gone with NO experience behind him, no TE - the list goes on. And 2 weeks in there are calls to fire the OC because he is still trying to figure things out - after starting against a top 3 D in the country and then having to adjust to 2 starting OL going out injured in the second game? Doesn't make any sense to me either.

Would I like to have a defined QB and have the ability to throw the ball downfield effectively? Oh my golly gosh for sure. But that ain't reality right now. Unlike us, Patenaude has to deal with that reality in the best way he can to win games - not score brownie points. I too want to see some progress as the year goes on but any critique isn't going to be real or meaningful until maybe the end of this year but most likely next year.

slugboy

Staff member
I do think it’s worth sharing a CPJ-ism:
“If you listen to the fans too much, you’ll be sitting with them before too long”

(That was old coaching advice before he started coaching)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You still read about Dodd, Gailey, Ross, Lewis, and other past coaches on this board. When you consider that CPJ was our last coach and had many successes, it makes sense that you will get a healthy dose of CPJ talk for a very long time...even if CGC is successful.

CPJ. ISN’T. GOING. AWAY.

I think it's fine to talk about all of our past coaches in a nostalgic sense or to talk about great games of the past. But it gets old to have the most recent head coach brought up in every thread when people are wanting to talk about the present team and the future. And this goes 100 percent for the CPJ haters and fans alike.

CPJ may never go away in the figurative sense, nor should he. He is in our top 5 historic coaches.. But he literally did go away in the literal sense, and of his own accord, by all accounts. It's just that some act like having him coach this year was ever an option when it wasn't, and there are less than a handful of coaches who run him system. I don't get the value of bringing him up constantly, as either a negative or positive. But that's just my 2 cents on it and ya'll can carry on as you wish.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

CPJ. ISN’T. GOING. AWAY.

THE. TO. IS. GONE. THOUGH.
I agree though - talking about the PJ Era should be totally fine, both pros and cons. Not sure why doing so triggers so many GT fans.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a lot of overstatement going on. Does anyone remember getting shut out for a half against Pitt last year and narrowly avoiding it vs. Duke? And that was with a senior QB with a full year of starting under his belt and an O-line that should have known what they are doing. I don't mean this as a CPJ vs CGC thing. It's just that early season offensive struggles are not unusual, even under better circumstances. I am not expecting an offensive explosion like we had against Louisville last year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see incremental improvement. Our cupcake and bye week come at a perfect time this year to get some things right. If the O-line injuries aren't serious, I am betting Key can get them coached up into something serviceable. Maybe we won't improve quickly enough to win many games this year, but to think that the USF game is the high water mark for our offense doesn't make any sense to me.

I agree with this. My frustration is not so much that we didn't hit our high water mark in game 2, but that it doesn't seem we have an identity or plan on offense. I am with others that think we may be better off figuring out what we want to do, picking the best QB to do that, and then try to build momentum and consistency as the season goes on. I get it is not an easy job to choose between three QBs that each have pluses and minuses, but that is what the coaches are paid to do. I have never seen a team play 3 QBs in such a seemingly random, yet also pre-scripted, manner.

I don't expect our O to be great right away, but I do hope to see progress and building towards something as the season goes on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Thanks for proving my point. Troll on.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think it's fine to talk about all of our past coaches in a nostalgic sense or to talk about great games of the past. But it gets old to have the most recent head coach brought up in every thread when people are wanting to talk about the present team and the future. And this goes 100 percent for the CPJ haters and fans alike.

CPJ may never go away in the figurative sense, nor should he. He is in our top 5 historic coaches.. But he literally did go away in the literal sense, and of his own accord, by all accounts. It's just that some act like having him coach this year was ever an option when it wasn't, and there are less than a handful of coaches who run him system. I don't get the value of bringing him up constantly, as either a negative or positive. But that's just my 2 cents on it and ya'll can carry on as you wish.

Didn’t CPJ have contract extension that ran through next year. Anyway, that doesn’t matter now but I think it would be really weird if the new regime wasn’t being compared to old regime, especially as polarizing as the TO seemed to be.

Rest assured that every true GT fan wants to see CGC succeed. For those who like CPJ, myself included, I am very curious if CGC’s approach, which is a 180 degree departure from CPJ, will succeed.

I expected this year and next year to be bumpy. This year because of the novelty and next year because of the schedule. 2021 is when my expectations for CGC will really change.