USF Postgame #USFvsGT

RabidJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
To me the "offense" rant- "this verses that"- takes a backseat to the fact that our DEFENSE stood up and played a great game. So tired of simply trying to outscore the other team and praying for at least 1 0r 2 D stops to win. This D seems to be one that will negate this plea (yeah it's a little early yet))-but-with the current offensive problems the D play is very encouraging and NECESSARY!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The constant defense of the old regime is really strange and cultish. Pointing out that the old scheme had trouble completing...hell, even attempting passes isn't "crapping on 'em". It's just the truth. Pointing out 43 Completions for an Entire Season (2017) isn't "crapping on 'em" - it's just the truth.

I'll share some insight with you: Neither PJ nor any of the old staff is reading these messages so you aren't earning any brownie points with them. Also, comparing objective statistics about previous GT teams isn't crapping on anyone.
You need to stop. You throw shade at the former coaching staff every opportunity you can. Instead of just saying what you like about the new guys, you go out of your way to slam the previous group while supporting this group. If you stop doing that, others will not take offense to your posts. It's as simple as that.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
You need to stop. You throw shade at the former coaching staff every opportunity you can. Instead of just saying what you like about the new guys, you go out of your way to slam the previous group while supporting this group. If you stop doing that, others will not take offense to your posts. It's as simple as that.

First and foremost, others need to stop throwing shade onto the current coach and student athletes on our football team. There are a few who do this at every opportunity, with thinly-veiled nastiness in their posts. I will always back the current players over the former coach and would suggest that this obsession with defending an ex-coach who has been retired for almost a year needs to stop. It's bordering on cultish. These thin-skinned reactions to pointing out simple football stats of previous coaches is ridiculous.

I will never stop defending the players trotting out there each week representing my alma mater.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
First and foremost, others need to stop throwing shade onto the current coach and student athletes on our football team. There are a few who do this at every opportunity, with thinly-veiled nastiness in their posts. I will always back the current players over the former coach and would suggest that this obsession with defending an ex-coach who has been retired for almost a year needs to stop. It's bordering on cultish. These thin-skinned reactions to pointing out simple football stats of previous coaches is ridiculous.

I will never stop defending the players trotting out there each week representing my alma mater.

You've got one goal here. And while I don't disagree with every post of yours, it's exhausting to watch you turn every thread into this. You're only the second poster I've ever ignored.

I hope you're able to relax at some point.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I'd reply to him but he ran away like a coward. But anyway he seems to have no issues bashing former players that played their asses off for that very same alma mater.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd reply to him but he ran away like a coward. But anyway he seems to have no issues bashing former players that played their asses off for that very same alma mater.
Not sure who you all are talking about. I assume because I have him on ignore. Lol.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
You've got one goal here. And while I don't disagree with every post of yours, it's exhausting to watch you turn every thread into this. You're only the second poster I've ever ignored.

I hope you're able to relax at some point.

I don't have any 'goals' here. But it's obvious there's a cultish group of people incapable of reading anything that isn't veneration of certain ex-coaches. To those fans I say "Get a grip."

I had only 2 people on Ignore. Make it 3.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with this. My frustration is not so much that we didn't hit our high water mark in game 2, but that it doesn't seem we have an identity or plan on offense. I am with others that think we may be better off figuring out what we want to do, picking the best QB to do that, and then try to build momentum and consistency as the season goes on. I get it is not an easy job to choose between three QBs that each have pluses and minuses, but that is what the coaches are paid to do. I have never seen a team play 3 QBs in such a seemingly random, yet also pre-scripted, manner.

I don't expect our O to be great right away, but I do hope to see progress and building towards something as the season goes on.

This is the issue. Also, I take issue with the constant criticism of our OL and QB by others as an excuse. Are they on par with Clemson or UGA? No. But they are undoubtedly better than a lot of teams we play and a lot of teams that have some semblance of an O strategy and game plan. The problem is that for now, we don’t.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
it's obvious there's a cultish group of people incapable of reading anything that isn't veneration of certain ex-coaches.

This is true. There are some posters who absolutely fall into this category. However, you could slightly reword what you said to read:

it's obvious there's a cultish group of people incapable of writing anything that isn't derogatory of certain ex-coaches.

You fall squarely into this category. Everyone but you recognizes this...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is the issue. Also, I take issue with the constant criticism of our OL and QB by others as an excuse. Are they on par with Clemson or UGA? No. But they are undoubtedly better than a lot of teams we play and a lot of teams that have some semblance of an O strategy and game plan. The problem is that for now, we don’t.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I don't see any real reason to criticize the QBs for failing to run a brand new offense they weren't recruited for with excellence after only a few games and practices. Same, really, with the OL and WR's. Our offense will be a work in progress for a couple of years and griping and moaning about it isn't going to magically make it better. For better or worse our offensive identity is that of an offense in transition.

As for the defense, I am a bit more optimistic. Any positives from the USF game must be taken with a full shaker of salt due the the dumpster fire status of their program. That does offset somewhat with the positives from the Clemson game. (Clemson being the antithesis of a dumpster fire) I am generally encouraged with our secondary and I think we have the horse in the LB corps to make drastic improvements this year. I am still not sold on the DL and don't YET see us generating much pass rush against the better teams on our schedule, but with the positive direction in recruiting under CGC, those days aren't far off.

As always, we just need to be patient the next couple of years and let the new staff get their players in the system. Good things are just around the corner.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I fall somewhere in the middle. I don't see any real reason to criticize the QBs for failing to run a brand new offense they weren't recruited for with excellence after only a few games and practices. Same, really, with the OL and WR's. Our offense will be a work in progress for a couple of years and griping and moaning about it isn't going to magically make it better. For better or worse our offensive identity is that of an offense in transition.

As for the defense, I am a bit more optimistic. Any positives from the USF game must be taken with a full shaker of salt due the the dumpster fire status of their program. That does offset somewhat with the positives from the Clemson game. (Clemson being the antithesis of a dumpster fire) I am generally encouraged with our secondary and I think we have the horse in the LB corps to make drastic improvements this year. I am still not sold on the DL and don't YET see us generating much pass rush against the better teams on our schedule, but with the positive direction in recruiting under CGC, those days aren't far off.

As always, we just need to be patient the next couple of years and let the new staff get their players in the system. Good things are just around the corner.
These are high level athletes. They should be able to run this offense with minimal problems. It's a whole different story for the OL. They are adjusting to an entirely new technique. But, they're all football players who have been playing for a long time (and not always in this system). They should be able to adjust.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
These are high level athletes. They should be able to run this offense with minimal problems. It's a whole different story for the OL. They are adjusting to an entirely new technique. But, they're all football players who have been playing for a long time (and not always in this system). They should be able to adjust.

None of the three starting QBs were recruited by any P5 schools to play QB. WRs and RBs can be high level athletes ill suited to play just any position on the roster. I think TO is prime example of that. As a runner, he's phenomenal, but as a passer, he's got a long way to go.

Animal02

Banned
Yes and yes....people act like the players just got into football this summer.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
None of the three starting QBs were recruited by any P5 schools to play QB. WRs and RBs can be high level athletes ill suited to play just any position on the roster. I think TO is prime example of that. As a runner, he's phenomenal, but as a passer, he's got a long way to go.
You don't know that. LJ didn't have any P5 offers maybe, but JG and TO did. They were both listed as Athletes, so you don't know what position they were recruited for, and neither do I. I agree, TO is much better suited to running than passing. But I've seen some nice passes from him at the P5 level, so I know he has the skills. It's about him putting it all together. He's still a sophomore, so there's time. With JG, no one knows because no one has really seen him play.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You don't know that. LJ didn't have any P5 offers maybe, but JG and TO did. They were both listed as Athletes, so you don't know what position they were recruited for, and neither do I. I agree, TO is much better suited to running than passing. But I've seen some nice passes from him at the P5 level, so I know he has the skills. It's about him putting it all together. He's still a sophomore, so there's time. With JG, no one knows because no one has really seen him play.

Oliver did not have P5 offers (He should have, obviously, but his only other offers were Army, Mercer and Troy). Lucas' next best offer was Air Force. We may not know with 100 percent certainty that Graham wasn't going to get a shot at QB at some other school. We do know he committed to Virginia Tech thinking he would play Wide Receiver, and the opportunity to play QB was a huge factor in his decision to come to GT.