USF Postgame Discussion

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The difficulty of Calculus I is blown out of proportion. Calculus I is easy if you know algebra. Calculus II and III is a different story but I doubt most of our athletes take either one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO it isn't the taking calculus that is the biggest issue but rather the requirement for 4 legit units of math in HS to even be recruited. Very few schools have that requirement and unless a kid has Tech on their radar screen they don't think about it as it is way above anything they need to be NCAA qualified.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
IMHO it isn't the taking calculus that is the biggest issue but rather the requirement for 4 legit units of math in HS to even be recruited. Very few schools have that requirement and unless a kid has Tech on their radar screen they don't think about it as it is way above anything they need to be NCAA qualified.

So, I read what you said you said about taking four units of math in a previous post but it didn’t sink in. In my day this would be taking Geometry, Algebra II, Trig, and Calculus I...at least that’s what I took. Is this right? Of course, I don’t think that they do math like that anymore. Maybe Math I, Math II, etc.

Would it be ludicrous to approach potential talent earlier in high school and put them on a “GT track” where we could help them early? I mean, if they’ve only taken two maths by their senior year, we can’t use them.

Good post, by the way.

GTFLETCH

Banned
We are not a good team. Special teams are bad, O is inconsistent, D is the same as last year. Combination of things from athletic and speed of players to coaching. Think CPJ has made some bad in game decisions the past couple of years. Feel TO at QB gives us best option to be 500 or better this year. Otherwise, changes need to be at year end with our football program.
Agree... If we are going to get to 6 wins, Tobias needs to be the QB....

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Why do we continuously have to have the calculus discussion. It is what it is.

Now I just finished watching the 1st half again. I think the people that think we lost because TM was put back in are delusional. TM played a really good have. Best I could tell I think he missed two reads and then threw that pick at the end of the first half.

Another observation is the ACC ain’t that hot this year and I the USF would be in the top quarter of the ACC. Hell its the 4th Q and FSU is losing to Stamford. UNC and Pitt got killed today. Louisville is up 14-7 late in the 2nd half to a nobody. Acc just isn’t very good. Clemson is by far the most talented, but they almost gave that game away and left a lot on the field.

Defenses was gassed in the 2nd half. Didn’t adjust to BB being more mobile than we thought. But damn. We missed some sacks and TFL in this game. ran past a lot of plays.

Gonna watch the 3q and then quit. Can’t do the 4th again. Sky isn’t falling. I am a little worried about PJ losing the team by throwing the players under the bus. But the players seem to genuinely care for each other, so I think it less likely for the team to fall apart unless we keep getting the bad luck.

I’m real worried about Benson. Looked nasty and he is such a good kid. I have to admit I’m partial to him, one of the main reasons is he seems so nervous in any interviews. Just seems like a great kid. Man I hope his ACL is stronger than mine (I’ve torn my right 2 times and my left once). Just feel so bad for the young man, as I think he came in with an ACL tear in his serious year in high school. Benson is so fun to watch.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It may surprise you to know that the calculus requirement remains in place because of the Ga BOR, not the Hill, although I am sure there are plenty on the Hill who want to keep it too.
Gee, I wonder why the Georgia Board of Regents would insist on that requirement for Tech when it is packed with UGA graduates who do not have the good sense God gave a sweet potato but by golly they know how to hamstring a rival program? Nah, must be a the workings of a mysterious Providence to extend His mercies upon the long suffering Bulldog faithful.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The difficulty of Calculus I is blown out of proportion. Calculus I is easy if you know algebra. Calculus II and III is a different story but I doubt most of our athletes take either one of them.

In 30 plus years of teaching in public high school it is my observation that most of the football players found any math that involved more than punching numbers into a calculator to be a challenge best overcome by cheating or getting their girlfriends to do their work for them.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
yeah but we had a lot of yards though! and excellent TOP too.

its pretty easy to have lots of yards and TOP when the other team gets gifted 14 points on 10 seconds TOP on two kickoffs. Yards don't mean jack squat if they don't end in points.

The whole "the offense did well if you ignore them turning the ball over on drives we needed to score to win" while giving blame to the defense blame for allowing TDs when USF needed to score to win is asinine. The d definitely slipped in the second half but allowing only 1 TD in the first half isn't getting nearly enough credit. They put the O in a position to win. There's room to improve, yes, but saying the O did their job because they had good TOP and yards isn't great. Converting 20% of third downs is entirely unacceptable. TQM was 2/10 on them and that will never win games

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There were problems everywhere again...special teams was pathetic, defense looked awful in the second half, and we again turn the ball over when we are about to lock up the game. Same crap as last year...UT game in particular. Any one thing goes differently and we win the game. Instead everything broke down. It’s almost like the team is in their own heads at this point.

Scubapro

Banned
There were problems everywhere again...special teams was pathetic, defense looked awful in the second half, and we again turn the ball over when we are about to lock up the game. Same crap as last year...UT game in particular. Any one thing goes differently and we win the game. Instead everything broke down. It’s almost like the team is in their own heads at this point.

I agree that this team, like last years team, seem to be in their own head and expect to lose. We are missing that intangible item. Call it chemistry, leadership or killer instinct but its missing esp in the 4th quarter. In the 4th quarter both the O and D played like they were scared and with zero confidence.
Good Items:
Mason is gonna be an anchor. He can tote it as well as anyone.
A Backs know where they are going and can block.
O line looked good at times.
Tobias can really play and offers little fall off (I know, we haven't seen him pass the ball)

Poor items
Special Teams - 2 ko returned, 22 yard punt, virtually no return yardage from us
No defensive adjustments to the zone read - Reminded me of Tenuda vs weak florist when they beat us in Atlanta or Dum U last year and the screen pass
Only one forced turnover - This is the reason we lost. Argue all you want about talent, coaching, recruiting... its all f-ing blah blah blah. Don't turn the ball over we win.

Misc comments:
What worries me is not seeing any leadership emerge. I will be looking for this as much as anything vs Pitt. Next week defines the rest of the season.
Cant blame this on the refs but they have an uncanny way of calling the chop and holds on us. USF ran that illegal pick play all day long with no call. except one on the goal line.
Speaking of refs...if you watched the aTm Clemson game. aTm basically tackled Clemson's d line each play and it wasn't subtle - these are ACC refs
The ACC stinks this year except for Clemson

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It may surprise you to know that the calculus requirement remains in place because of the Ga BOR, not the Hill, although I am sure there are plenty on the Hill who want to keep it too.
To me, the issue is that The Hill will not battle, lobby, cajole, or show a spotlight on the BOR inflexibility. I don't think they want to, as your post implied as well....

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
its pretty easy to have lots of yards and TOP when the other team gets gifted 14 points on 10 seconds TOP on two kickoffs. Yards don't mean jack squat if they don't end in points.

The whole "the offense did well if you ignore them turning the ball over on drives we needed to score to win" while giving blame to the defense blame for allowing TDs when USF needed to score to win is asinine. The d definitely slipped in the second half but allowing only 1 TD in the first half isn't getting nearly enough credit. They put the O in a position to win. There's room to improve, yes, but saying the O did their job because they had good TOP and yards isn't great. Converting 20% of third downs is entirely unacceptable. TQM was 2/10 on them and that will never win games

smathis30, great post but perhaps unnecessary. I was being sarcastic. I am just done with the "tallest midget" discussions after these (frequent) types of losses where we try to figure out which unit was the least worse.

Animal02

Banned
The most embarring thing about the loss yesterday is the reactions and public stupidity of so fan so called fans of this team that live in the fantasy world that Tech is / should be a perennial NC favorite and the fantasy that they, from their lazy boy recliner, know far better what is good for Tech football and Tech the Institute, than all those hundreds that are actually paid to do it.

Space Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I was at the game in Tampa yesterday. I have a few observations to share.
THE GOOD
1. The team did not quit yesterday on the last Drive. It would have been easy to lay down when the game appeared to be out of reach in that scorching heat. But they refused to quit.
2. The offensive line won the battle at the point of attack most of the game. The best evidence of this was when Oliver was at QB and the offense simplified to just block the guy in front of you.
3. The DL played well. They were making some good plays in the middle.
4. GT was able to throw the ball when in the normal rhythm of the offense.

THE BAD
1. We still can't pass block when everyone knows we need to run 2 minute drill.
2. The backside OLB (Stinger?) was out of position most of the day for the QB runs to that side. Did not stay in our lanes.
3. Too many times the defense didn’ adjust to USF overload formations and WRs outnumbered defenders so it was easy pass and catch.
4. The LBs played hard, but they are just not fast enough to keep up with the speed USF had.
5. Need to throw to Camp more.
6. Too much cushion between DBS and WRs at line of scrimmage.

THE UGLY
1. Two consecutive KO returns for touchdowns. It was inexcuseable.

Animal02

Banned
I was at the game in Tampa yesterday. I have a few observations to share.
THE GOOD
1. The team did not quit yesterday on the last Drive. It would have been easy to lay down when the game appeared to be out of reach in that scorching heat. But they refused to quit.
2. The offensive line won the battle at the point of attack most of the game. The best evidence of this was when Oliver was at QB and the offense simplified to just block the guy in front of you.
3. The DL played well. They were making some good plays in the middle.
4. GT was able to throw the ball when in the normal rhythm of the offense.

THE BAD
1. We still can't pass block when everyone knows we need to run 2 minute drill.
2. The backside OLB (Stinger?) was out of position most of the day for the QB runs to that side. Did not stay in our lanes.
3. Too many times the defense didn’ adjust to USF overload formations and WRs outnumbered defenders so it was easy pass and catch.
4. The LBs played hard, but they are just not fast enough to keep up with the speed USF had.
5. Need to throw to Camp more.
6. Too much cushion between DBS and WRs at line of scrimmage.

THE UGLY
1. Two consecutive KO returns for touchdowns. It was inexcuseable.
You are being to level headed for many posting here.