USF Postgame Discussion

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We basically got beat by a former 5* QB and a track star on kick off returns. A big time kicker (like Butker) makes our problems with coverage on KO go away but PJ never seems to emphasize that position preferring to use walk ons. As close as teams are these days the K position is almost as important as the QB. If we had had the same skill set at K instead of Butker, we would have lost those games in Athens both times.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
We basically got beat by a former 5* QB and a track star on kick off returns. A big time kicker (like Butker) makes our problems with coverage on KO go away but PJ never seems to emphasize that position preferring to use walk ons. As close as teams are these days the K position is almost as important as the QB. If we had had the same skill set at K instead of Butker, we would have lost those games in Athens both times.

Don't know what you are talking about. PJ consistently recruits kickers for scholarship positions. How the heck do you think we got King? Harvin was recruited for scholly too. You could argue that he hasn't been effective in his recruiting, but it's not like he's just relying on walk ons.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow

I’m pretty sure CPJ has always had atleast 1 kicker and 1 punter and 1 long snapper on scholarship. There are plenty of very valid criticisms of him, but that isn’t one.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He knew we did not have a K that can put the ball into the end zone last year. No problem with the snapper. Very important. If we can't cover kick offs then find someone that can kick it into the endzone.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I apologize but I am not understanding the point you are trying to make here. If it is that LT was good enough that he didn't require much coaching, I might agree. But we don't recruit LT's. Or forget LT, he was an all timer. We don't get guys that could play at Clemson or Bama. So our guys must be able to follow the coaching given to them. They are not athletic enough to overcome or fundamentals or techniques.

Talent makes coaches look good. All players screw up and miss assignments. Better athletes overcome those mistakes more often.

Have a 3rd party grade Tech players and every other school and you won’t see much disparity in missed assignments etc between them.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
He knew we did not have a K that can put the ball into the end zone last year. No problem with the snapper. Very important. If we can't cover kick offs then find someone that can kick it into the endzone.

You can legitimately question the results of the recruiting, but at least he's giving out scholarships trying. I will say that there are a lot of teams that don't have kickers that consistently kick it into the endzone. That shouldn't mean that you automatically give up a huge return. Yesterday was all about alignment and responsibilities of the coverage team. The kicks weren't particularly awful.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He had that " I want to give up look" I honestly think johnson doesn't have a answer anymore.

So how long have you known the guy? Oh nevermind you are a professional reader of expressions and body language employed by the CIA to let us know what all of the world leaders are thinking despite what they might be saying.

Oh nevermind again...your just a dumb fan of the mutts trolling here. Man I’m such a sucker for trolls.....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The difficulty of Calculus I is blown out of proportion. Calculus I is easy if you know algebra. Calculus II and III is a different story but I doubt most of our athletes take either one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An awful lot of recruits don’t know algebra well enough to do well in cal 1. I know a high school math teacher of one former recruit that led me to believe that particular kid probably wouldn’t be at Tech 4 years even if we landed him. (Don’t ask I’m not telling)

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bad news: not one of the front 8 had a good game. Nose tackle was neutralized by the center every time I watched him. Didn't push him back, never stepped around. Ends were never a factor on a pass play. Linebackers were slow and none stood out. Good news: based on the number of times the QB couldn't find a receiver, our DBs must cover pretty darn well.

When I watched some of Ap State's bowl game, I saw a look often where there were three linemen then about three more safety sized guys at or a half step off the line in a standup position. It was impossible for the offence to know who was coming and who was dropping back. I loved it! I didn't see that yesterday and I'm thinking it was because their receivers were just too good not to double cover.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Can we talk about something positive? Like what a great freaking game Marshall played? I’ll admit i was way down on his passing after Alcorn St. but he totally redeemed himself in my eyes. How clutch was that third down completion that he made after getting injured and being ice cold on the sideline? His interceptions were both weird plays, the first he was trying to hide the ball and then never got a good grip on it, the 2nd at the end i thought it looked like someone hit his arm as he let it go? I really wish that we would go to the shotgun in those desperate passing situations and use some quick passing to help pick up first downs, hell put in another O-lineman at b-back forbetter pass pro too.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Bad news: not one of the front 8 had a good game. Nose tackle was neutralized by the center every time I watched him. Didn't push him back, never stepped around. Ends were never a factor on a pass play. Linebackers were slow and none stood out. Good news: based on the number of times the QB couldn't find a receiver, our DBs must cover pretty darn well.

When I watched some of Ap State's bowl game, I saw a look often where there were three linemen then about three more safety sized guys at or a half step off the line in a standup position. It was impossible for the offence to know who was coming and who was dropping back. I loved it! I didn't see that yesterday and I'm thinking it was because their receivers were just too good not to double cover.

KCH made some good plays in the first half at nose, Adams was pretty dissapointing though

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

KCH played well. 6 tackles, 2 sacks 3 TFL. I don't think most of the problem was DL getting pushed around. Most of the problems were complete breakdown of contain or LBs getting outran.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we talk about something positive? Like what a great freaking game Marshall played? I’ll admit i was way down on his passing after Alcorn St. but he totally redeemed himself in my eyes. How clutch was that third down completion that he made after getting injured and being ice cold on the sideline? His interceptions were both weird plays, the first he was trying to hide the ball and then never got a good grip on it, the 2nd at the end i thought it looked like someone hit his arm as he let it go? I really wish that we would go to the shotgun in those desperate passing situations and use some quick passing to help pick up first downs, hell put in another O-lineman at b-back forbetter pass pro too.

Or God forbid work in a TE...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Don't know what you are talking about. PJ consistently recruits kickers for scholarship positions. How the heck do you think we got King? Harvin was recruited for scholly too. You could argue that he hasn't been effective in his recruiting, but it's not like he's just relying on walk ons.

Well, next to offensive linemen, kickers are probably the hardest to evaluate transitioning from high school to college. We actually had a four star kicker here early in PJ's tenure who could actually run a 4.5 but once he got on campus never did anything. It happens. We did not do anything right yesterday in the kicking game. The punter had a 15 or 20 yard punt that led to them getting a field goal, there were the two kick off returns for TDs, it was that kind of a day.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You can legitimately question the results of the recruiting, but at least he's giving out scholarships trying. I will say that there are a lot of teams that don't have kickers that consistently kick it into the endzone. That shouldn't mean that you automatically give up a huge return. Yesterday was all about alignment and responsibilities of the coverage team. The kicks weren't particularly awful.

The first one was textbook. Right in the corner and we had guys lose contain.

EFN247

Georgia Tech Fan

This is the problem, it's not that easy. I don't think people understand not many kickers "kick it out of the endzone every time" I looked up some stats earlier. Last year the leading % touchback rate was 75%

Butker over his 4 years was

2016- 74%
2015-66%
2014-60%
2013- 41%
& he is an all pro kicker

I do think our kicking has been sub par the last 2 seasons and clearly a HUGE dropoff from Butker, but Butker was extremely rare. Think its easy to always point fingers at the kickers but to me there is so much more than just the kick, our coverage has been terrible and clearly our game planning has too. Keep in mind we had the kid who is now kicking at Bama committed, and skipped town last minute.

Also, look at USF kicker he kicked it to like the 5 or 10 every time and we only got one decent return

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Can we talk about something positive?

OK, I have to admit that I LOL'd when we squib kicked after the 2 TD returns and their crowd booed. It's rare for me to laugh when I am watching FB but I thought that was amusing as heck. I also liked the announcers when they said immediately "this is why no one has ever returned 3 in a game".

Of course, I laughed at my grandma's funeral when my great aunt was led by the Spirit to burst out, unannounced and unplanned, in an acapella (and totally awful) rendition of "How Great Thou Art". it was literally the worst I have ever heard and I was laughing so hard I was crying. My wife thinks I am strange and that I have a weird sense of humor.