USF Postgame Discussion

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Who is the HC again? He is the man good or bad. Can't cheer pick when to take blame or get credit.
I don't blame the head coach for every loss and I don't give him credit for a win. I give the players credit for the wins. I also TRY ( most the time) not to blame the players for a loss. What I do give him credit for is putting up with some of our fans and working with the restriction he has to work around. What I give the players credit for is working hard and picking a school that takes a lot of time to get out.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
For a DC to completely turn around an already horrible D in 6 months would not be "magic", it would be a miracle. Unless you are already loaded with awesome talent that was miserably misused, then it's just going to take some time to accomplish it. Yes, the D has been bad through most of 11 seasons, and yes, that ultimately falls at Johnson's feet, but he supposedly had someone else in mind other than Roof, but Roof was more or less forced on him. Read Ken's article about Woody's history at Ap State. Even there, change didn't happen overnight.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...coordinator-app-state/6MRSGItRVz1ZE62CKysmDM/

I think if Woody can get the talent he needs, and the jury is out on that, then he can succeed. I know everybody, including myself, is tired of waiting, but that's our only option.

My disappointment mostly comes from the fact that Trch’s front seven starters include 6 Seniors and 1 Junior- kids that have been in the program and have played a lot, learned a lot, and have had years to develop their strength, size, and speed. I thought with the amount of experience across both the offense and defense Tech might have good season.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="4shotB, post: 457701, member: 844"

Of course, I laughed at my grandma's funeral when my great aunt was led by the Spirit to burst out, unannounced and unplanned, in an acapella (and totally awful) rendition of "How Great Thou Art". it was literally the worst I have ever heard and I was laughing so hard I was crying. My wife thinks I am strange and that I have a weird sense of humor.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the laugh this morning. I can totally relate this to my family.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My disappointment mostly comes from the fact that Trch’s front seven starters include 6 Seniors and 1 Junior- kids that have been in the program and have played a lot, learned a lot, and have had years to develop their strength, size, and speed. I thought with the amount of experience across both the offense and defense Tech might have good season.

I am not sure why but our front 7 guys just don't seem to develop anymore. I don't know if it is a function of the system or our S & C program or what. When you see a guy playing as a FR, you project him out and it seems like the improvement slope is flatter than what you think. Only Gotsis has ever really shown year over year improvement in our recent history and really developed into a disruptive force by the time he was a senior. Others become yeoman or serviceable at best. I don't want to name names in this thread but if I have overlooked anyone who was significantly better as a SR than as a FR or SOPH I would be interested in who I have overlooked. Keith Brooking is the poster child of someone who was forced into action as an undersized true FR but left the campus as a top 10 (iirc) draft choice. No doubt he had an unbelievable drive to get better which I think is part of the equation.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know how to find out who the officiating crew was yesterday? In 2017, the Bulls were the second most penalized team in college football while GT was 128th (1,032 penalty yards vs 394 penalty yards). Yesterday, we had 8 penalties for 80 yards and 2 ejections against their 5 penalties for 36 yards and 0 ejections. Seems odd, don’t you think?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cf...=&order_by=penalty_yds&order_by_asc=&offset=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_EE78

Banned
I sorry if you think the scheme is the only problem , recruiting better players helps but they have to want to come to Tech. How many players from Clemson VT NC State or Miami could pass at Tech or really be willing to put that work in to passing?
Hmm, so if you can't do ,ya teach and if you can't teach, then ya teach PE. We just need to add a PE major for the jocks.problem solved.
(then they can work on passing in more ways than one!)

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I have a request. Make a video and give all the answers to those questions the way he should have done it. Then post the video here for us to see and learn from.

Just give me 2 minutes to pop some popcorn.
This might go down as the worst post of all time

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I don’t know anything about those teams that you mentioned because I wasn’t there like I was in 2014. Again, you are just picking fights without anything but emotion.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone know how to find out who the officiating crew was yesterday? In 2017, the Bulls were the second most penalized team in college football while GT was 128th (1,032 penalty yards vs 394 penalty yards). Yesterday, we had 8 penalties for 80 yards and 2 ejections against their 5 penalties for 36 yards and 0 ejections. Seems odd, don’t you think?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cf...=&order_by=penalty_yds&order_by_asc=&offset=0

It was an oddly officiated game. My biggest complaint is that USF was routinely blocking downfield prior to the ball being caught on those bubble screens. That is offensive PI, yet it was only flagged once that I can recall.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
It was an AAC crew.

It is a day later and the injuries/targetting calls will carry over to the Pitt game. We just need to schedule cupcakes for OOC games. This game is gonna negatively affect our conference games. We can’t just “flush” it when we have to sit players because of the officiating the previous game.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It is a day later and the injuries/targetting calls will carry over to the Pitt game. We just need to schedule cupcakes for OOC games. This game is gonna negatively affect our conference games. We can’t just “flush” it when we have to sit players because of the officiating the previous game.

The first call was an application of a stupid rule but he'll be back for the next game. The second one was just a stupid play by our defender and an easy, and right, call.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The first call was an application of a stupid rule but he'll be back for the next game. The second one was just a stupid play by our defender and an easy, and right, call.

I disagree with the call, but regardless the OOC game will impact our conference game next week.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The most embarring thing about the loss yesterday is the reactions and public stupidity of so fan so called fans of this team that live in the fantasy world that Tech is / should be a perennial NC favorite and the fantasy that they, from their lazy boy recliner, know far better what is good for Tech football and Tech the Institute, than all those hundreds that are actually paid to do it.

That is a good observation but I would offer one caveat: For the past 30 plus years, we have listened to self identified "experts" on how to run this country and they have (in both parties mind you) managed to screw things up time after time. I am not convinced that the "hundreds paid to know what is good for Tech football and the Institute" have their own goals, asperations, agendas that do not include building a good football program that can be competitive because the powers that be seemed bound and determined not to be bothered with that sort of thing.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Just worked through all the posts. Sounds primarily like we lost 50 to zip and all hope is lost. CPJ seems like an optimist in comparison. Certainly there were some frustrating components (special teams) to the game but also aspects to be optimistic about. The season has just started and ranting now that all is lost doesn’t help the team at all. I’m glad the loss was out of conference and hope we look much better next game.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
That is a good observation but I would offer one caveat: For the past 30 plus years, we have listened to self identified "experts" on how to run this country and they have (in both parties mind you) managed to screw things up time after time. I am not convinced that the "hundreds paid to know what is good for Tech football and the Institute" have their own goals, asperations, agendas that do not include building a good football program that can be competitive because the powers that be seemed bound and determined not to be bothered with that sort of thing.
Someone officially compared Georgia Tech football to politics; we have completed the circle, let's move on the Pittsburgh.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It was an oddly officiated game. My biggest complaint is that USF was routinely blocking downfield prior to the ball being caught on those bubble screens. That is offensive PI, yet it was only flagged once that I can recall.
You never heard of "home cooking" especially by an officiating crew from the home team's conference? I might be wrong, but I thought the announcers said it was an American Conference crew. Were they ACC officials? In which case it is understandable as there is this secret cabal of officials bound and determined to give Tech the shaft every chance they get. TIC The downfield blocking on those bubble screens and smoke routes was nearly continuous but that is why they had the big 240 pound wide receiver out there as well as some others who were also big and fast.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Someone officially compared Georgia Tech football to politics; we have completed the circle, let's move on the Pittsburgh.

That's the idea! Complete the circle now let's move on to Pitt. I hope playing Penn State will have knocked some of the starch out of them because heaven knows we need a few breaks to go our way. The absolute worst thing would be for the effects from a nearby hurricane to affect the game...uh wait a minute.