USF Postgame Discussion

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
"don't have athletes"? Hmm...well we don't have difference makers that is for sure. If we have lost Kirvonte, it will be very hard to right the ship. I watched two full games after ours and neither of them had a runback on a kick off. Just saying the proof is in the pudding and the pudding seems to indicate that mediocre recruiting year after year yields what we saw today especially on defense.

I’m not the one who said that we don’t have athletes. I was questioning the person that wrote that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The conditioning of our players looks very poor as well. A few of the players I saw look like they gained 30 pounds. And it’s not muscle gain.
Exactly, the defensive linemen looked fat, slow, and out of shape. They were getting pushed around handily by a Group Five team. I am embarrassed for them but what did they do this summer besides eat.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
do you really think the coaches tell them to break down in properly? He obviously pointed out the fact is that the players did not do what they were coached to do.
How is that not obvious to everybody? That question is facetious I know the reason why.
Voice to text... And not reviwed... improperly not in properly.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m not the one who said that we don’t have athletes. I was questioning the person that wrote that.

I know. I am confused and upset at how poorly we played. Very disappointed for our team, coaches, and fans. Frankly, it is inexcusable to not have better linemen at this point in a coach's tenure. Damn it, we need to recruit linemen and not 175 pound A backs.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just curious...do you think Saban or Dabo have players that go out on the field and fail to do as instructed. by their position coaches? Yes they have great athletes. But apparently they are coachable as well. Or maybe your post was sarcasm and I failed to recognize it. If the players don't take to coaching and you play them anyways it sounds like the prisoners are running the prison.
Coaches normally play the best players they can. Don't always have the luxury of perfect depth.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We are not a good team. Special teams are bad, O is inconsistent, D is the same as last year. Combination of things from athletic and speed of players to coaching. Think CPJ has made some bad in game decisions the past couple of years. Feel TO at QB gives us best option to be 500 or better this year. Otherwise, changes need to be at year end with our football program.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All the Brant Mitchell hype and he hasn’t made any real impact, ever.

Where was Swilling? The linebackers as a whole got worked this game. Extremely sub par showing and again no pressure.

I need to watch the film but I do remember one third down play where Mitchell had a perfect shot on a QB who is not a great runner and missed the tackle. I told my wife, who could care less, that when your best defender misses the tackle - you are in trouble. It was ugly.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just curious...do you think Saban or Dabo have players that go out on the field and fail to do as instructed. by their position coaches? Yes they have great athletes. But apparently they are coachable as well. Or maybe your post was sarcasm and I failed to recognize it. If the players don't take to coaching and you play them anyways it sounds like the prisoners are running the prison.

How good do you think the OLB coach was at UNC when Lawrence Taylor played there? I’m sure LT thanks God every day he had that coach back then, otherwise he’d have never amounted to anything huh?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How good do you think the OLB coach was at UNC when Lawrence Taylor played there? I’m sure LT thanks God every day he had that coach back then, otherwise he’d have never amounted to anything huh?

I apologize but I am not understanding the point you are trying to make here. If it is that LT was good enough that he didn't require much coaching, I might agree. But we don't recruit LT's. Or forget LT, he was an all timer. We don't get guys that could play at Clemson or Bama. So our guys must be able to follow the coaching given to them. They are not athletic enough to overcome or fundamentals or techniques.

I will start by saying I've been drinking, probably like most of us ...
The bottom line for me beyond the X's and O's is CPJ is the HC, he is responsible for all of it ... and this is SS-DD same sh**-different day !!
We ran CTR out of town, one of us an alumni and some of us annointed Woody as our savior ...
Maybe it's the system maybe it's recruiting, but something needs to change because this REALLY SUCKS !!
come on guys - he is mad, pissed and hot as hell!!! I wouldn't be in a good mood either.
He had that " I want to give up look" I honestly think johnson doesn't have a answer anymore.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
my observations

1 The defense is absolutely horrible. There were numerous plays where we made it very easy for them. Short out - no press and cornerback never touches receiver who runs in the end zone. Slow footed QB running on us and breaking tackle on our world beating linebacker - etc etc etc -Just bad

2. Kick return defense has been bad for about 7 years. Kind of like the defense. The only thing that saved us for awhile was an NFL kicker who kicked the ball through the end zone. Can't we find an Australian football kicker in the deep back or European midfielder that can kick it through the end zone?

3. The offense continues to usually do good things and is dangerous. How do you lose with over 600 yards of offense -again?

4. Somewhat snakebit - Happened last year and somewhat today. At one time, whole middle of offense was out -center, QB and BB. Lost two defenders too targeting. Fumbles at inopportune times. Some penalties that were a bit puzzling - i.e. targeting and holding. Like others have said, looked like I was watching the Tennessee game repeat.

Maybe we can get #2 and #4 turned around, but if I were coach I would be thinking "What do you do about #1?" There is no answer except new players. Kuddos to #54 - he played today.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
After a few hours of letting another ridiculous loss set in: I think about Butker making field goals when they had to have them along with all of the touchbacks that won Tech a few games for sure. I think about Nesbitt and Justin Thomas making big plays on final drives when they had to have them. Unfortunately it looks like 2017 all over again - The team is good enough to have a lead in the 4th quarter but does not have a CLUTCH playmaker. Also - to not have a real good defense once in 11 seasons is unacceptable - it appears there is not a magic DC who will turn that around.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
What exactly does the “hill” do to hurt our recruiting? Honest question... I just don’t see how we get out recruited by Duke every year

It goes to number of "exceptions" per year. Guys that don't have 1,000 on their SAT or 4 units of math in HS. We are graduating players and not getting hit on academic progress so conceptually a couple or 5 really great FB players who don't meet the minimums we have but want to work wouldn't break the bank so to speak.

When you look at Duke there are 2 things going on. First, Duke doesn't have the same focus on math that we do so they have a broader pool of kids who didn't take 4 solid units of math. And once they get in they have more places to "hide" them. I haven't seen a comparison in a couple of years but I expect we are higher than they are in SAT right now - though they are than 90% of the schools in the country as well.

But secondly - and more importantly - Duke has started to attract a lot more players than it used to. Essentially they are tied with us in recruiting but seem to have a playmaker or two more than we do - and do a better job of putting those playmakers in position to succeed - especially on D.

Summary - there are a lot of kids we can't recruit for academics. I would like to see that off limits pool reduced to some degree. But having said that part it is also a reality that this staff isn't the best at recruiting and that needs to improve to get kids we could recruit - we lose too many kids we do offer especially in the state of GA with a ton of talent.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It goes to number of "exceptions" per year. Guys that don't have 1,000 on their SAT or 4 units of math in HS. We are graduating players and not getting hit on academic progress so conceptually a couple or 5 really great FB players who don't meet the minimums we have but want to work wouldn't break the bank so to speak.

When you look at Duke there are 2 things going on. First, Duke doesn't have the same focus on math that we do so they have a broader pool of kids who didn't take 4 solid units of math. And once they get in they have more places to "hide" them. I haven't seen a comparison in a couple of years but I expect we are higher than they are in SAT right now - though they are than 90% of the schools in the country as well.

But secondly - and more importantly - Duke has started to attract a lot more players than it used to. Essentially they are tied with us in recruiting but seem to have a playmaker or two more than we do - and do a better job of putting those playmakers in position to succeed - especially on D.

Summary - there are a lot of kids we can't recruit for academics. I would like to see that off limits pool reduced to some degree. But having said that part it is also a reality that this staff isn't the best at recruiting and that needs to improve to get kids we could recruit - we lose too many kids we do offer especially in the state of GA with a ton of talent.

The lack of support from the Hill Nerds is a factor but beyond that is the continued restrictions placed on our program by unnecessarily limiting academic requirements especially calculus. Dodd himself said that requiring calculus was the worst thing the school could do in limiting recruiting. The recruiting situation has reached a critical point. Either something is done to completely overhaul recruiting and academics or we can resign ourselves to being a second tier football program which we are fast approaching in any case. Even given the recruiting limitations we must do a better job of recruiting linemen both on defense and offense. It is at the point of no return when a directional commuter school has better athletes than we do.

After a few hours of letting another ridiculous loss set in: I think about Butker making field goals when they had to have them along with all of the touchbacks that won Tech a few games for sure. I think about Nesbitt and Justin Thomas making big plays on final drives when they had to have them. Unfortunately it looks like 2017 all over again - The team is good enough to have a lead in the 4th quarter but does not have a CLUTCH playmaker. Also - to not have a real good defense once in 11 seasons is unacceptable - it appears there is not a magic DC who will turn that around.
For a DC to completely turn around an already horrible D in 6 months would not be "magic", it would be a miracle. Unless you are already loaded with awesome talent that was miserably misused, then it's just going to take some time to accomplish it. Yes, the D has been bad through most of 11 seasons, and yes, that ultimately falls at Johnson's feet, but he supposedly had someone else in mind other than Roof, but Roof was more or less forced on him. Read Ken's article about Woody's history at Ap State. Even there, change didn't happen overnight.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...coordinator-app-state/6MRSGItRVz1ZE62CKysmDM/

I think if Woody can get the talent he needs, and the jury is out on that, then he can succeed. I know everybody, including myself, is tired of waiting, but that's our only option.

The lack of support from the Hill Nerds is a factor but beyond that is the continued restrictions placed on our program by unnecessarily limiting academic requirements especially calculus. Dodd himself said that requiring calculus was the worst thing the school could do in limiting recruiting. The recruiting situation has reached a critical point. Either something is done to completely overhaul recruiting and academics or we can resign ourselves to being a second tier football program which we are fast approaching in any case. Even given the recruiting limitations we must do a better job of recruiting linemen both on defense and offense. It is at the point of no return when a directional commuter school has better athletes than we do.
It may surprise you to know that the calculus requirement remains in place because of the Ga BOR, not the Hill, although I am sure there are plenty on the Hill who want to keep it too.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

The difficulty of Calculus I is blown out of proportion. Calculus I is easy if you know algebra. Calculus II and III is a different story but I doubt most of our athletes take either one of them.