Urban Meyer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Where does it specify Meyer's duties? I'm trying to find it.

Yeah, based on my 1-day old understanding of this (thanks to some @OldJacketFan ), he's required to report it once he's aware of an allegation. The failure to report is, again IIUC, a fire-able offense.

As of Big10 media days, he claimed to know nothing. Which is probably why the victim provided texts and other data which makes it highly unlikely that he was unaware.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, based on my 1-day old understanding of this (thanks to some @OldJacketFan ), he's required to report it once he's aware of an allegation. The failure to report is, again IIUC, a fire-able offense.

As of Big10 media days, he claimed to know nothing. Which is probably why the victim provided texts and other data which makes it highly unlikely that he was unaware.
I think Urban's wife probably told him

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think Urban's wife probably told him

The victim says all the wives knew. I'm sorry but there's like no chance Urban didn't know. The issue to me seems to be how can it be proven one way or the other.

If he has a school-issued phone, likely any txts on the subject will be discoverable (for lack of a better phrase). If he used his burner (surely he has a burner) exclusively, he may be able to claim ignorance to some degree.

The woman-beater is the grandson of Urban's mentor and former OhioSt coach Earle Bruce which explains why he tried to protect him, I guess. Still, not sure I'd be 'cool' with any male (not 'man') around me who's coward enough to be beating his girl. Actually, I am sure. I would never be cool with that.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Where does it specify Meyer's duties? I'm trying to find it.

I haven't read his contract, but according to media reports his last contract included a clause which said that he is required to report any Title IX violations regarding the football: players, coaches, or staff: to the school. Some are suggesting that OSU is trying to button up whether they can prove that he knew about the 2015 incident to possibly avoid paying his extreme buyout.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After Tressel and now Meyer, OSU would be stupid to bring in a coach with some questionable ethics (i.e., Lane Kiffin or Pete Carroll). They can get nearly anyone outside of just a few coaches (like Saban, Dabo) so why in the world would they do that?

Also no way Meyer gets another college job if it's proven he knew (and it's doubtful he didn't). He'll be as toxic as Briles.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
After Tressel and now Meyer, OSU would be stupid to bring in a coach with some questionable ethics (i.e., Lane Kiffin or Pete Carroll). They can get nearly anyone outside of just a few coaches (like Saban, Dabo) so why in the world would they do that?

Also no way Meyer gets another college job if it's proven he knew (and it's doubtful he didn't). He'll be as toxic as Briles.

I could see him play the 'I tried to get him/them help' card. It would be against the rules (thus justifies his firing) but a case could be made that it was a (sort of) moral thing to do. Counsel the guy that what he was doing (for years) was wrong.

For me, that falls apart when you consider this was indeed a years-long ordeal for the victim. However, he could make that case and get some folks on his side. Enough folks that he could get another opportunity to coach.

Briles is radioactive because he basically fostered a rape-friendly environment which imho is eons worse than Meyer turning a blind eye to what, so far, is basically one offender.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

If OSU can't prove that he knew and violated his contract they will owe him a reported $35-40 million buyout. Unless he has been stupid with his money, he could retire quite comfortably.

I doubt he will be the coach at OSU any more. I believe the question is whether OSU will pay his buyout or they will fight over it in court.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bob Stoops to Ohio St if Urban gets the boot, according to Wolken.
You could be right but I heard an interview with him not that long ago and he really seems to be all-in on the retired lifestyle. His dad dying young had a profound effect on him.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Meyer: "Failed" in denying I heard allegations
"Here is the truth: While at the University of Florida, and now at The Ohio State University, I have always followed proper reporting protocols and procedures when I have learned of an incident involving a student-athlete, coach or member of our staff by elevating the issues to the proper channels," Meyer said in a statement posted on Twitter. "And, I did so regarding the Zach Smith incident in 2015. I take that responsibility very seriously and any suggestion to the contrary is simply false."
At the same time that Meyer was issuing his statement, Zach Smith was being interviewed by ESPN. He said that he was on a recruiting trip in October 2015 when he was called back to campus by athletic director Gene Smith. Zach Smith heard about allegations of domestic abuse and said that he went to the Powell, Ohio, police department. After speaking to the police, Zach Smith went to practice and briefed Meyer on the situation.

"I explained both sides of the story," Smith said during the interview, which will air on SportsCenter Friday (ESPN, 6 p.m.). "I volunteered to do that. I didn't ever hit her. He said: 'If you hit her, you are fired immediately.' I looked at him and said: 'If I hit her, I wouldn't come in here, I know how you feel about that. If I hit her, I wouldn't even come to work. I would know it's over.'"

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I could see him play the 'I tried to get him/them help' card. It would be against the rules (thus justifies his firing) but a case could be made that it was a (sort of) moral thing to do. Counsel the guy that what he was doing (for years) was wrong.

For me, that falls apart when you consider this was indeed a years-long ordeal for the victim. However, he could make that case and get some folks on his side. Enough folks that he could get another opportunity to coach.

Briles is radioactive because he basically fostered a rape-friendly environment which imho is eons worse than Meyer turning a blind eye to what, so far, is basically one offender.
Well, if his statement today is correct he may be able to stay at OSU on a technicality. I'll say this - he knew for about a decade that this was happening and still hired him again at home at OSU. That for me is unforgivable.
You're right about Briles, what he did was worse.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Meyer has thrown down the gauntlet by saying he reported what he knew to AD Gene Smith. It's going to be REAL interesting to see Smith's response to this declaration by Meyer. Smith as AD would know this would have to be documented and submitted who he reports to as well as the Title IX coordinator for OSU. The paper trail on something like this would be/should be huge! This is truly a CYA scenario regardless as to the merits of the allegations and I can't believe anyone touched by this hasn't kept a verifiable record merely as a common sense measure.

slugboy

Staff member
If I'm them, I fire AD and Meyer. Let em finger point each other on their own dime.

I know OSU has a lot of money, but it’ll cost $35 million if the can’t show cause, and it sounds like Meyer put that in doubt for the time being.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I know OSU has a lot of money, but it’ll cost $35 million if the can’t show cause, and it sounds like Meyer put that in doubt for the time being.

If the police did investigate the incident in 2015, then Meyer would probably be cleared from a contract standpoint on that one. The AD knew, the police knew, etc. However, the committee might still be investigating when Urban knew and when the police got involved:
According to McMurphy's report, the police were called on October 25th, 2015. I can't tell from the McMurphy report when the text messages between Courtney Smith and Shelley Meyer happened. According to the report Courtney was suffering abuse throughout 2014 and 2015. She called police when the abuse continued after they were separated. IF Courtney and Shelly were exchanging messages as early as 2014, and the police only became involved in late 2015, then Meyer's claims that he always reported such things up the chain is questionable.
Meyer's statement is also questionable simply because it was written by a PR firm(I am assuming) and basically doesn't say anything.
The power of what I say and how I say it, especially regarding sensitive and serious domestic issues, has never been more evident than now. My words, whether in a reply to a reporter's question or in addressing a personnel issue, must be clear, compassionate, and most of all, completely accurate. Unfortunately, at Big Ten Media Days on July 24th, I failed on many of these fronts. My intention was not to say anything inaccurate or misleading. However, I was not adequately prepared to discuss these sensitive personnel issues with the media, and I apologize for the way I handled those questions.
What does that even mean? "I failed on..." some things? I didn't intend to be "inaccurate or misleading". "I was not adequately prepared to discuss". He fired an assistant coach around reports of abuse. He now admits that he knew of the alleged abuse for 9 years, and the most recent allegation for at 3 years. However with years of knowledge of the accusations and a day after firing the alleged abuser he "was not adequately prepared to discuss" this issue. I find that extremely hard to believe.

The interviews with Zach Smith seem even less believable. He said that he never laid a hand on her. He said that any bruises she has pictures of were "self-defense" and simply an effort by him to get out of the situation. Maybe I am just not very smart, but I believe that a man can get away from a smaller woman without putting bruises on her neck and bruises and marks on her arms.

Meyer's statement sounds like he did nothing wrong. However, it sounds like pure spin. I might be wrong, but I still believe that from an OSU standpoint, the biggest question at the moment is whether they will have to pay the buyout or not. From what I understand, the committee investigating is completely made up of current or former OSU Trustees. I think the trustees are going to be more concerned about the university than the football team. Also, OSU is a public school unlike Baylor. They are going to be subject to FOI requests, which will make hiding the actual results of the investigation more difficult.