Upcoming Boston College game

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Boston College has a good quarterback even if an official managed to tackle him during the Army game. I think we can win this game but we can lose it too. Army actually had the lead and should have won even though BC outgained them and oddly enough was ahead in time of possession. The BC quarterback put the team on his shoulders and willed the offense down the field to score the winning touchdown. They are pretty tough and it will be a dog fight.
One thing I forgot to mention was that the weather was really bad. Pretty much rained hard the whole game. Army was ahead in the fourth quarter but BC scored with another quarterback run with 25 seconds or so left. Because the weather was so bad, I am not sure anyone can draw much in the way of conclusions about BC based upon that game. The BC offensive line looked huge compared to the Army defensive line that's for sure.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
We are third WORST vs run in US.
This is what worries me. BC has a big, physical OL. The D showed up well against Miami and made some effective adjustments to really limit the run game as the game went on. Hopefully that was the influence of Sherrer and not Miami being a poor rushing team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is what worries me. BC has a big, physical OL. The D showed up well against Miami and made some effective adjustments to really limit the run game as the game went on. Hopefully that was the influence of Sherrer and not Miami being a poor rushing team.
Same worry.

However, when Miami played a “beefy, undefeated” Texas A&M, they got stronger as the game went on. By the 4th quarter they were dominating and Texas A&M was out of gas. So Miami goes from being down 2 scores early in the first half to winning by 2 scores in the second half. Point? Tech did not allow Miami to get stronger as the game wore on, unlike Texas A&M.

We can handle BC’s physical style if we play with the same grit we did against Miami. If.

slugboy

Staff member

Miami might have been a poor rushing team on Saturday, but they looked capable. They’re #13 in the nation in rushing offense, and they’re ranked in the 30’s and 40’s in advanced rushing stats.

Some of that is feasting on two weak teams. Miami only ran for 89 against Texas A&M, but that might have been because they torched them through the air.

BC has a rushing attack—their QB is almost half of it, though (45%). Boston College is #26 is rushing offense—but if you looked at that overall stats, they’re a good bit behind Miami. Miami rushes for 211 per game and BC rushes for 193 per game. We’re #64 at 156 per game.

PlayerCarriesYdsTDFumYds/rushEPA/rushEPASR
Thomas Castellanos89558636.270.3127.9942%
Kye Robichaux54213203.940.2312.3252%
Pat Garwo III53276115.210.105.3345%
Alex Broome21128006.100.020.5133%
Cam'ron Barfield813001.63-0.48-3.8525%
Ryan O'Keefe540108.000.422.0960%

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Score early. Score often.
A close game/one score game plays to their strength.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Haven't seen a whole lot of BC, but typically they are big boys in the trenches, and I think that's where the game will be won or lost. Our DL especially needs to hold their ground and not let their OL get a big push at the LOS. I thought our DL vs. Miami really showed improvement, hopefully that continues.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Haven't seen a whole lot of BC, but typically they are big boys in the trenches, and I think that's where the game will be won or lost. Our DL especially needs to hold their ground and not let their OL get a big push at the LOS. I thought our DL vs. Miami really showed improvement, hopefully that continues.
I’m as nervous as anyone about this game. If it comes down to brute force it will be anyone’s game. If we can use our speed effectively to counter that we will win.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We need to punish their qb hard every chance when he runs it, and of course keep up the improved tackling. I‘m excited to see what Coach Sherrer can do with two weeks to get these guys ready.

on offense we need to put the pedal to the metal and keep it there, be aggressive and unpredictable on 1st down, and cut out the false starts. The Haynes King fake drop-back and then run is a defense killer, they have no good answer if he is running effectively.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK, 3 observations.

Virginia was lucky to keep it close, aided by turnovers. BC looked more physical but that might be confirmation bias on my part since that is what I was expecting.

No one in the ACC goes for it more on 4th down than BC. This will be a direct challenge to our defense.

BC’s QB is willing to take off on designed runs even when it’s 3rd and long. Another direct challenge for our defense.

Amazing attendance for a team having a mediocre season playing a bad opponent. I would love it if Tech could get over 40,000 for a game like that. My daughter is on faculty at BC and she says the promotions to get fans in the stands are pretty sweet.

I lied when I said 3 observations.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what to think about BC’s resume so far this year. In some ways it's similar to ours. They narrowly survive a scare against FCS Holy Cross, then turn around and nearly upset FSU. They haven’t put up a lot of points in any games – and oddly, two of their three wins and one of their losses were identical scores of 27-24. It took them a 20-3 second-half rally to beat Virginia by a field goal at home. They also had a big 4th quarter comeback to just miss taking down FSU. But Louisville crushed them in a road game, and their defense hasn’t really dominated any team.

With the exception of their Holy Cross near-debacle, BC scores most of their points in the second half, just the opposite of us. Even if we jump out to a large first-half lead, we cannot let off the gas against them. Fortunately, we showed up in the second half against Miami. We will need to continue to improve on our second-half tendency to fade if we expect to beat them.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, 3 observations.

Virginia was lucky to keep it close, aided by turnovers. BC looked more physical but that might be confirmation bias on my part since that is what I was expecting.

No one in the ACC goes for it more on 4th down than BC. This will be a direct challenge to our defense.

BC’s QB is willing to take off on designed runs even when it’s 3rd and long. Another direct challenge for our defense.

Amazing attendance for a team having a mediocre season playing a bad opponent. I would love it if Tech could get over 40,000 for a game like that. My daughter is on faculty at BC and she says the promotions to get fans in the stands are pretty sweet.

The crowd should be pretty good (I would guess 40k ballpark) because it's Parents' Weekend. My hope would be for a win against BC, which could catalyze our fanbase into making UNC a sellout or near it. Gotta win this one first though.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Oh…I was thinking you just couldn’t count until you said that. You know, being in the Northeast seems to affect some people’s brains….😜

(I’m teasing, as i think you’re in NEGa anyway)
Yep, worked in NE, moved to my vacation home in mountains upon retirement. This year moved to Ga coast. Was never good at math 😊

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Same worry.

However, when Miami played a “beefy, undefeated” Texas A&M, they got stronger as the game went on. By the 4th quarter they were dominating and Texas A&M was out of gas. So Miami goes from being down 2 scores early in the first half to winning by 2 scores in the second half. Point? Tech did not allow Miami to get stronger as the game wore on, unlike Texas A&M.

We can handle BC’s physical style if we play with the same grit we did against Miami. If.
I big difference I saw in DEF was substitutions.We did it a lot so there were fresh guys in there mostly.--It paid off.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
OK, 3 observations.

My observations were pretty much the same. BC is all about the quarterback. He is the leading rusher and has a quick release. This game was a tale of two halves with UVA winning the first and having a lead of 21 -10 at halftime. But they showed why they were 0-4 in the second half. It seems to me that the difference was BC being able to consistently get pressure on Muskett in the second half especially. BC is a better team than their record shows at least from this game. Unfortunately, UVA appears to have enough in the tank to be a spoiler as they often are in 'Hooville"

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The crowd should be pretty good (I would guess 40k ballpark) because it's Parents' Weekend. My hope would be for a win against BC, which could catalyze our fanbase into making UNC a sellout or near it. Gotta win this one first though.
This would be nice, but I don't think you'll see it this year until 20-25K UGAGers are in attendance. As was said here preciously, our relatively small fanbase has dwindled over the last few down years and we'll need more time to get some back. My wife and I will be coming up for this game, we were at the Louisville game and after finishing my career out west and being gone for 12 years are considering renewing our season ticket for next year. But, let me say this "I am proud to be one of the few" !!