Upcoming Boston College game

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
Just to encourage me, would several of you take the time to tell me why GT is likely to win the Boston College game? thanks

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
GT wins if we can control their QB from running wild on us. Not generally a strength of our defense but we do have an extra week to prepare for him.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This team needs to come to play every week, everybody has good players now, we're not safe anywhere on our schedule.
UNC barely beat Appalachian State earlier this year. Pretty sure it went to OT.
Better be careful who you schedule these days if you want an automatic win. App State has a history of big time upsets. Wouldn't touch them.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I think our offense will be able to score some points on them, it’s whether our defense will play like last week or BG. Their QB is athletic and can hurt us scrambling around. Same with UVA even though they are not great, but their freshman QB has a nice arm and is athletic.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Bye week is going to help in both preparation and getting guys healthy. I couldn't tell if J Williams played against Miami but he's been day to day recovering. Hell, there's a chance Blackburn gets healthy and makes an appearance

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Just to encourage me, would several of you take the time to tell me why GT is likely to win the Boston College game? thanks

I'm not going to lie to you: If we think we are good and don't prepare and play with great effort we WILL lose this game sure as the sun rises.

The BG game showed us we are inconsistent with our identity as a team that always prepares and plays hard.

It's one thing to come off that loss and play with some urgency and manage to steal a road win against a good team when lady luck presents some opportunity to you. Preparation and playing hard the whole game will do that for you. But a lot of teams let down after a big win like that. We have shown we can't afford to let down against ANYONE.

I do think the offense has struggled more with Jordan Williams out, and we have a line that is maturing this year. Can it take a step forward during a bye week? Will the defense continue to work on tackling with the same mentality. Will the coaches let up or keep the intensity high? If we truly let the BG game define us/our season in a positive light we HAVE to beat BC at home.

BC game is a huge opportunity for us. It represents a 'next step' for us if we can become a team that consistently prepares and plays hard for the entire game.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I actually fear this game greatly.

Look, I thought the BG game was a failure of every aspect of our football program, coaches (preparation), coaches (schemes) players (execution and desire), and heck even the PA announcer.

Then we manage to pull a win out we had no business winning against Miami. BUT, we persisted, we played to the final whistle, we made things happen when it counted, and we won. As bad as one game was, the next game was fabulous. But, Miami did beat us statistically by a pretty wide margin. It is NOT like we controlled that whole game. We played for them to make mistakes, and they obliged us.

All of this reminds me of last season. We upset Pitt on the road and prevailed over Duke in OT at home in game we DID control most of the game, then had an off week. Then we absolutely laid an egg on Thursday night at home against UVa, losing a game we really should have won (imho).

My point is simply that we have not yet established any kind of consistency and especially haven't played well at home. (Virginia last year and BG this year)

I fear this game. Let's see what Bobongo says to cheer us all up!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I actually fear this game greatly.

Look, I thought the BG game was a failure of every aspect of our football program, coaches (preparation), coaches (schemes) players (execution and desire), and heck even the PA announcer.

Then we manage to pull a win out we had no business winning against Miami. BUT, we persisted, we played to the final whistle, we made things happen when it counted, and we won. As bad as one game was, the next game was fabulous. But, Miami did beat us statistically by a pretty wide margin. It is NOT like we controlled that whole game. We played for them to make mistakes, and they obliged us.

All of this reminds me of last season. We upset Pitt on the road and prevailed over Duke in OT at home in game we DID control most of the game, then had an off week. Then we absolutely laid an egg on Thursday night at home against UVa, losing a game we really should have won (imho).

My point is simply that we have not yet established any kind of consistency and especially haven't played well at home. (Virginia last year and BG this year)

I fear this game. Let's see what Bobongo says to cheer us all up!
I agree that our team cannot let off the gas in terms of intensity.

I do think that winning the game is going to be better for us in this scenario though. I am trying to imagine a world where we lose to BG then get blown out by Miami and still find it in us to prepare hard and come out swinging against BC. With the gutsy win, I think it shows a glimmer of hope that lets you know that the intensity and violence the defense brought is going to pay dividends.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I will be holding my breath on this one. The easiest prediction in the world to make is that Tech loses. Something intangible, or that we haven’t seen yet, has to occur for this team to take the next step forward. It won’t be easy and Tech needs a win badly in this game to get over the hump.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we pretend they are free shoes? Similar jersey colors and we tend to play free shoes better.

But seriously, this is a really big test for our staff. The adverse home trend cannot abide. We’ll be favored by around 9.5 (my guess) but they’re not the team that looked completely inept in their first two games.

slugboy

Staff member
So, here's BC's quarterback:

Thomas Castellanos​

0.07 EPA/Play, 54% Comp%, 1143 yds, 8 TD, 1.55 DETMER

Who is BC's rushing leader? It's this guy, who weirdly has the same name as the QB:

Thomas Castellanos​

0.31 EPA/Play, 89 Car, 558 yds, 6 TD

This data is from Game On Paper: https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/year/2023/team/103.

Castellanos is fun to watch. On average, he's a net positive. At a 1.55 DETMER, he throws for dough--either BC's or someone else's. If our DBs want a pick, this game is their opportunity. If they mess up, they'll get burned.

Comp/Att
YdsTDINTSacksDETMERYds/dropbackEPA/dropbackEPASR
Thomas Castellanos87/152 (57% Comp)11438581.556.780.0711.1536%

SR = success rate -- so, he can 3-and-out.

Overall, their offense is actually good:

Offensive
Plays422
Plays/Game70 #23
Total EPA40.62 #34
EPA/Play0.10 #39
EPA/Game6.77 #38
Success Rate39.3% #98
Starting FPOwn 26 #97

With a high EPA and a low success rate, they're feast-or-famine.

Are they a strong passing team?
No Way Meme GIF

When Passing
Plays179
Plays/Game30 T-#91
Total EPA1.84 #77
EPA/Play0.01 #77
EPA/Game0.31 #77
Success Rate35.2% #122

Can they run?
Why yes, they can:
When Rushing