Upcoming Boston College game

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Man, think about the possibilities. Had we finished the job against Louisville, and not shat the bed against BG, this team could be sitting at 5-1 (with a loss to Ole Miss), with the possibility of a special 8+ win season.

Hopefully, it's a lesson learned for the bigger picture of this program. BG game might have been a blessing in disguise for this team and Key's tenure at GT.

I'm choosing to look through my gold tinted glasses that the BG humiliation is a step back so this program can take 3 steps forward. We'll see how it ends for us the remainder of the schedule. I need this team to go bowling.
Our loss to Louisville...as galling as it was at the time, is looking pretty decent these days. I don't know that I will ever personally recover from the BG disaster. But I agree we have a solid shot at 6-6 if we can simply win those games we "should" win the rest of the way and upset Syracuse (who might be a very slight favorite as things stand right now).

slugboy

Staff member
Our loss to Louisville...as galling as it was at the time, is looking pretty decent these days. I don't know that I will ever personally recover from the BG disaster. But I agree we have a solid shot at 6-6 if we can simply win those games we "should" win the rest of the way and upset Syracuse (who might be a very slight favorite as things stand right now).
Syracuse would be about a 5 1/2 point favorite on a neutral field today.

I checked Sagarin (lame, but the math is easy). It has us as a 4 point favorite over BC—about 6 1/2 to 7 at home.

I haven’t seen a betting line yet.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure how big a talent tier is. Miami should be way ahead of us, and BG should have been way behind us.
FSU should have been way ahead of BC.
Boston College is way ahead of Bowling Green in almost any stat.

A tier is just my way of saying a grouping of 10 spots. Top 10 is the elite tier. GT, right now, is in #36 talent composite, so tier 3. BC is #54, so tier 5. Just my personal system.

BG is #111...and GT should not have lost to them. Miami is #12...Tier 1 but very close to elite tier. GT is within 2 tiers, so while Miami should have been favored, a GT upset of Miami is, IMO, a smaller upset than BG beating GT ( :sick: ) in terms of talent.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's a nonsensical argument, but nobody does that more than Sowega. Per the data you found, Miami's starting 5 averages 6'5 and 318 lbs, BG's is 6'4.5 and 305 lbs. Miami generated more yards of offense. Miami allowed fewer sacks and TFL, 1-5 vs 2-8 against BG. Both sacks against BG were in the first quarter, further contributing to the idea that we got up quick and then went to sleep.

Turnovers were the biggest difference maker - Miami had 6 total through their first 4 games, then turned it over 5 times against us. BG had 12 turnovers prior to playing us and picked up a 13th this past weekend, but turned it over zero times against us.
It’s not nonsensical. All of us (or most) watched in person as BG’s OLine pushed our defense down the field time after time. Miami may have been able to do this but, like most teams, they play stupidly and let their QB throw against a team that can’t stop the run. To your point above, Loeffler saw those same stats regarding turnovers and took them off the table by running it right at us.

Here are BG’s drives against our defense - 7 plays, 10 plays, 5 plays, 11 plays, 10 plays, 7 plays, 10 plays, 12 plays, 3 plays (end of game). They knew what they could do and where we are weak and Loefller didn’t outsmart himself like Clawson and Cristobal did.

You call me names like non-sensical because you disagree. That’s fine. That’s why I love message boards. I love different opinions but I don’t understand why so many can’t stand different opinions. It’s easy to say BG sucks and we shouldn’t have lost and if we played again we’d win by 20 plus especially with the demotion of Thacker. That’s fine. I say Loeffler will be a P5 coach pretty soon and knew what his team could do and what we couldn’t. And he did it for 60 minutes. He clearly outcoached Key. Obviously, Miami OH didn’t have our weakness. Why Cristobal didn’t just run the ball shows how arrogant and stupid coaches can be. Hatley and several other coaches we have coming up aren’t that stupid. Let me ask you - if you were game planning against GT how would you attack us?

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
Man, think about the possibilities. Had we finished the job against Louisville, and not shat the bed against BG, this team could be sitting at 5-1 (with a loss to Ole Miss), with the possibility of a special 8+ win season.

Hopefully, it's a lesson learned for the bigger picture of this program. BG game might have been a blessing in disguise for this team and Key's tenure at GT.

I'm choosing to look through my gold tinted glasses that the BG humiliation is a step back so this program can take 3 steps forward. We'll see how it ends for us the remainder of the schedule. I need this team to go bowling.
Crazy thing is that we are a single-digit number of plays away from being ranked in the top 25 right now. Even if we still lose to Louisville in this hypothetical, our only losses would be against 2 top-15 teams, with an upset over Miami. That might put us in the "receiving votes" category, but finishing the job against Louisville would definitely put us up in the top 25.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
It’s not nonsensical. All of us (or most) watched in person as BG’s OLine pushed our defense down the field time after time. Miami may have been able to do this but, like most teams, they play stupidly and let their QB throw against a team that can’t stop the run. To your point above, Loeffler saw those same stats regarding turnovers and took them off the table by running it right at us.

Here are BG’s drives against our defense - 7 plays, 10 plays, 5 plays, 11 plays, 10 plays, 7 plays, 10 plays, 12 plays, 3 plays (end of game). They knew what they could do and where we are weak and Loefller didn’t outsmart himself like Clawson and Cristobal did.

You call me names like non-sensical because you disagree. That’s fine. That’s why I love message boards. I love different opinions but I don’t understand why so many can’t stand different opinions. It’s easy to say BG sucks and we shouldn’t have lost and if we played again we’d win by 20 plus especially with the demotion of Thacker. That’s fine. I say Loeffler will be a P5 coach pretty soon and knew what his team could do and what we couldn’t. And he did it for 60 minutes. He clearly outcoached Key. Obviously, Miami OH didn’t have our weakness. Why Cristobal didn’t just run the ball shows how arrogant and stupid coaches can be. Hatley and several other coaches we have coming up aren’t that stupid. Let me ask you - if you were game planning against GT how would you attack us?

Prior to Miami I would have attacked Myles Sims all day. Despite our d line struggles our DBs have been far below average.

slugboy

Staff member
We’re getting into some funkiness with transitive wins and transitive play.

We couldn’t get a sack against BG, but we did against Miami, so BG’s line is better. We blocked Miami’s DLine better than we blocked BGs, so BG’s line is tougher.

IMHO, you put Miami on the field with Bowling Green, and it’s Mr. T levels of PAIN for Bowling Green.

It doesn’t work the other way either:
We beat Miami who beat Miami of Ohio who beat Bowling Green. Therefore, we beat Bowling Green by 122 points.

This is how I end up using the same GIF twice in a week.

Always Sunny Fx GIF

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Bowling Green's 33 pass attempts against Tech is the most they've had in a game all season.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The one thing we have to factor in is the home field disadvantage we have. We just do not play well in important games at Bobby Dodd. Most teams get a 3-point advantage for playing at home. I think we should get at least a 3-point disadvantage. I do not know the reason for this, but it has become a continuing concern. l was hoping our new coach would turn this around, but so far, he has not been able to do that.

Boston College has a big physical offensive line. They always do. They always have a ground pounding RB and a capable QB. Their defense is known for their tough linebacker play. While they are not perennial world beaters, they are a team that plays hard and have a blue collar work ethic.

This will be a very difficult game and I feel we will have to get some help from BC to win this game. I would like to say I feel confident our guys will develop further, turn the corner and begin to put a high level of performance together, but to be honest, I do not think that is the case. I look for this to be a game we struggle and play from behind with maybe a small chance to pull it out at the very end. I hope I am wrong, and we blow them out, but I don't think that will be the case.

Go Jackets!

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I will be holding my breath on this one. The easiest prediction in the world to make is that Tech loses. Something intangible, or that we haven’t seen yet, has to occur for this team to take the next step forward. It won’t be easy and Tech needs a win badly in this game to get over the hump.
Realistically, if they actually want a bowl game, they will need that win

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Crazy thing is that we are a single-digit number of plays away from being ranked in the top 25 right now. Even if we still lose to Louisville in this hypothetical, our only losses would be against 2 top-15 teams, with an upset over Miami. That might put us in the "receiving votes" category, but finishing the job against Louisville would definitely put us up in the top 25.

And a two plays the other way and we'd be 1-5.

The craziest thing we have seen is predicting GT performance. Not many teams lose a game they are favored by 20 one week and win a comparable about 20 point under dog the next.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
GT wins if we can control their QB from running wild on us. Not generally a strength of our defense but we do have an extra week to prepare for him.
Boston College has a good quarterback even if an official managed to tackle him during the Army game. I think we can win this game but we can lose it too. Army actually had the lead and should have won even though BC outgained them and oddly enough was ahead in time of possession. The BC quarterback put the team on his shoulders and willed the offense down the field to score the winning touchdown. They are pretty tough and it will be a dog fight.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Good question but one that would be determined by what I had. IF I had a couple of good running backs and a good offensive line I would as you suggest run it right at Tech. I am not convinced we could stop a team that stayed with a ground game sweetened by play action passes. We will see what happens on October 21st. BC will likely as not do something similar. I watched their game with Army and thought that Army should have won. IIWII