Upcoming Boston College game

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why are so many acting like Bowling Green was a fluke? They dominated us. Their OLine and RB were too big for us to handle. If we played them again we would probably lose again. It’s all about strengths vs. weaknesses. Miami didn’t have a strength over us which is why we stuck around. Bowling Green‘s OLine would dominate us again because we have no answer unless we simply overload the line and hope their QB doesn’t burn us. But again, we saw we could not handle their WR #10. That wasn’t a fluke.

BC is a copy of BG with a mobile QB. Hopefully our DC comes up with a plan because BC is going to just ram us with their OLine and they will score a lot of points. This game is gonna come down to our offense out scoring them which is scary because we are incredibly inconsistent on offense. I have hope but until we can stop the run against a legit OLine we know what is coming. BC is going to run it right at us.

slugboy

Staff member
I always like to look at this from a recruiting/talent perspective. Obviously, recruiting and talent rankings are subjective, but they are helpful.

IMO, your team (or the other team) has a good shot if they're within 2 tiers...to me, that's fairly close in talent advantage.

GT is ranked #36 in the 247 talent composite, while BC is ranked #54. This is a fairly even matchup from a talent standpoint. We have a slight edge (almost a 2 tier difference), but it's not big enough for GT to walk on the field and think we can just show out (as the Bowling Green game proved).

Some other metrics:

Overall FEI: GT 74, BC 86
Offensive FEI: GT 59, BC 69
Defensive FEI: GT 70, BC 102

GT has a slight advantage from talent and FEI statistical standpoint. I don't expect an easy game, and BC always plays hard. If GT treats this like Bowling Green, we can easily be embarrassed. If we play hard, and don't make mistakes, GT has the ability to win this by 7-10 points.
I’m not sure how big a talent tier is. Miami should be way ahead of us, and BG should have been way behind us.
FSU should have been way ahead of BC.
Boston College is way ahead of Bowling Green in almost any stat.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
This game feels more critical to me than the Wake game felt at the time, though for similar reasons. We are still trying to define ourselves as a team and still trying to establish something solid for this season.

Teams that aren’t good are way too prone to have a let down after a big win. That’s what happened to BG after one of the biggest wins they’ve had in years and that’s what happened to us after Wake.

Beat Boston College and we have a season established that we can build off of. Lose and it’s back to the drawing board for another week or two.
May be a good thing that BC is also on a bye week. Both teams should be focused and well prepared for each other.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Why are so many acting like Bowling Green was a fluke? They dominated us. Their OLine and RB were too big for us to handle. If we played them again we would probably lose again. It’s all about strengths vs. weaknesses. Miami didn’t have a strength over us which is why we stuck around. Bowling Green‘s OLine would dominate us again because we have no answer unless we simply overload the line and hope their QB doesn’t burn us. But again, we saw we could not handle their WR #10. That wasn’t a fluke.

BC is a copy of BG with a mobile QB. Hopefully our DC comes up with a plan because BC is going to just ram us with their OLine and they will score a lot of points. This game is gonna come down to our offense out scoring them which is scary because we are incredibly inconsistent on offense. I have hope but until we can stop the run against a legit OLine we know what is coming. BC is going to run it right at us.
I think if we played them again the outcome would be different. Everyone involved with the Tech football program from the head coach, the support staff, the assistant coaches and the players were to blame for that horrible loss. Just a massive bad day and poor preparations by all. Bowling Green got shut out by Miami of Ohio on Saturday 27-0. Miami of Ohio lost to Miami Florida 38-3. Their only wins are against Eastern IL. and GT. However, I agree with you totally about us being inconsistent and they do resemble Boston College and they are going to run right at us. Boston College is better than Bowling Green.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
this is one of your very worst takes, Do you actually believe this?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if we played them again the outcome would be different. Everyone involved with the Tech football program from the head coach, the support staff, the assistant coaches and the players were to blame for that horrible loss. Just a massive bad day and poor preparations by all. Bowling Green got shut out by Miami of Ohio on Saturday 27-0. Miami of Ohio lost to Miami Florida 38-3. Their only wins are against Eastern IL. and GT. However, I agree with you totally about us being inconsistent and they do resemble Boston College and they are going to run right at us. Boston College is better than Bowling Green.
When you have a team of average talent, swings in performance can be big based on desire. I think we were very flat, gave Bowling Green confidence and couldn't adjust in time to make a difference. I think we were proud of our Wake Forest accolades and didn't take Bowling Green seriously. There is no chance our team's attitude will be the same for Boston College as Bowling Green.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to keep in mind that this game is big for both teams. They are 3 - 2, Tech is 3-3. The team that wins this game will have a decent chance to win 6 - 7 games. The team that loses will be lucky to get to 5 wins. It is a monster contest for both squads and we had better be ready for BC to see that as much as Tech does. I sincerely hope that we can get some dings taken care of and play D like we did in the second half against da U. If we do then I think we will force them to pass and, probably, win the game. If we don't then things could get a trifle dicey.

I expect the score to be close and that both teams will come out fo the locker room with their hair on fire.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Not disagreeing with adding another LB. Needs to be pretty fast. I would like to see more of Efford but we have some transfers with experience as well.
It just seems that our wins are very correlated with getting turnovers. We gave up over 400 yards to Miami but turnovers ( Shock at the Rock) and their penalties really made up the difference. Very similar to the recent Wake win and Pitt last year.
Yep, on the LBs. Maola played better vs uM but #7 looks lost out there- a lot.I still picture him getting totally beaten by a BG rb who juked without even being touched .Was it Oliver who came in for a few plays vs uM, and got a facemask 15 yder? hmmmm-We are third WORST vs run in US.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
this is one of your very worst takes, Do you actually believe this?
Heck yeah. Football is a game of matchups in the mediocre tier. We had no answer for Bowling Green‘s offensive line on that day and if we played them again tomorrow what would magically allow us to stop that OLine? They dominated us. There is a reason the entire day was a dumpster fire and it all started with the 5 dudes on Bowling Green’s OLine. We were all there and watched it. It wasn’t 1 play. It wasn’t 5 plays. It was a consistent 60 minutes of those 5 guys kicking our butt. That they lost to other teams like Miami OH means little because I have no idea how they matched up. This isn’t the old days where GT is just better than teams like Bowling Green. They had a better OLine, the best WR on either team, and their QB played better than ours. That wasn’t a fluke.

What I do know is that teams that try and get cute with their passing game against us allow us to stay in the game ala Wake and Miami. Loeffler knew our weakness is stopping the run and tackling and he didn’t try and get cute. BC is gonna run the ball right us and use their mobile QB to beat us to the edge. I truly hope the day comes soon that we leave this current tier of mediocrity which 70% of all teams are in, but that day is not here yet.

And I say the reverse for Miami. They are not clearly better than us. Our OLine controlled their DLine and our DLine played their OLine to a draw. Our DB’s handled their “NFL” WR’s just fine. But if you ask a Miami fan they would say they are clearly a better team. It’s all about how teams match up in the tier of mediocrity. Now, when you step into the next tier that’s where match ups don’t matter because the higher tier team will just beat you down like we did to SC State and what we’ve seen after turkey day lately.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Heck yeah. Football is a game of matchups in the mediocre tier. We had no answer for Bowling Green‘s offensive line on that day and if we played them again tomorrow what would magically allow us to stop that OLine? They dominated us. There is a reason the entire day was a dumpster fire and it all started with the 5 dudes on Bowling Green’s OLine. We were all there and watched it. It wasn’t 1 play. It wasn’t 5 plays. It was a consistent 60 minutes of those 5 guys kicking our butt. That they lost to other teams like Miami OH means little because I have no idea how they matched up. This isn’t the old days where GT is just better than teams like Bowling Green. They had a better OLine, the best WR on either team, and their QB played better than ours. That wasn’t a fluke.

What I do know is that teams that try and get cute with their passing game against us allow us to stay in the game ala Wake and Miami. Loeffler knew our weakness is stopping the run and tackling and he didn’t try and get cute. BC is gonna run the ball right us and use their mobile QB to beat us to the edge. I truly hope the day comes soon that we leave this current tier of mediocrity which 70% of all teams are in, but that day is not here yet.

And I say the reverse for Miami. They are not clearly better than us. Our OLine controlled their DLine and our DLine played their OLine to a draw. Our DB’s handled their “NFL” WR’s just fine. But if you ask a Miami fan they would say they are clearly a better team. It’s all about how teams match up in the tier of mediocrity. Now, when you step into the next tier that’s where match ups don’t matter because the higher tier team will just beat you down like we did to SC State and what we’ve seen after turkey day lately.
I think the difference is in how we prepared for the two teams, the motivation to come back from a horrible loss, and the change in Def Coordinator seems to have helped,

these two pics are the weights of the Miami and BG OL’s respectivly. I’m not seeing a big difference but I would bet that Miami’s guys are quicker and stronger.

Attachments

• 037C498B-7EB8-45CC-BA24-E404A3C994D5.png
    037C498B-7EB8-45CC-BA24-E404A3C994D5.png
    828.7 KB · Views: 23
  • BBE2EE15-25CC-4885-9169-92D69FD4D3B4.jpeg
    BBE2EE15-25CC-4885-9169-92D69FD4D3B4.jpeg
    806.8 KB · Views: 22

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We’re good enough to finish 8-4 but can play bad enough not to win another game. After the BG game I’m sure the team knows this.

Man, think about the possibilities. Had we finished the job against Louisville, and not shat the bed against BG, this team could be sitting at 5-1 (with a loss to Ole Miss), with the possibility of a special 8+ win season.

Hopefully, it's a lesson learned for the bigger picture of this program. BG game might have been a blessing in disguise for this team and Key's tenure at GT.

I'm choosing to look through my gold tinted glasses that the BG humiliation is a step back so this program can take 3 steps forward. We'll see how it ends for us the remainder of the schedule. I need this team to go bowling.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think the difference is in how we prepared for the two teams, the motivation to come back from a horrible loss, and the change in Def Coordinator seems to have helped,

these two pics are the weights of the Miami and BG OL’s respectivly. I’m not seeing a big difference but I would bet that Miami’s guys are quicker and stronger.
It's a nonsensical argument, but nobody does that more than Sowega. Per the data you found, Miami's starting 5 averages 6'5 and 318 lbs, BG's is 6'4.5 and 305 lbs. Miami generated more yards of offense. Miami allowed fewer sacks and TFL, 1-5 vs 2-8 against BG. Both sacks against BG were in the first quarter, further contributing to the idea that we got up quick and then went to sleep.

Turnovers were the biggest difference maker - Miami had 6 total through their first 4 games, then turned it over 5 times against us. BG had 12 turnovers prior to playing us and picked up a 13th this past weekend, but turned it over zero times against us.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure how big a talent tier is. Miami should be way ahead of us, and BG should have been way behind us.
FSU should have been way ahead of BC.
Boston College is way ahead of Bowling Green in almost any stat.
You're right and that list could go on and on and on.....

LSU's defense should be way ahead of Missouri's offense and shouldn't give up over 700 yards to ANYONE (like they did vs Ole Miss)
USC's defense has enough talent they should NEVER have yielded 41 points to an Arizona team (their season high) and been forced into 3OT

I'm sure we could have fun finding all sorts of other units to extend this list....