UNC Postgame

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
As disappointing as it is that we had the opportunities to win the past two games and couldn't get it done, I am impressed that this team ever quits, even when things seem impossibly bad. They don't quit, and I won't quit supporting them. I don't watch Tech because they are good. I watch them because they are Tech.

I still think that the guys will improve and things will come together at some point. The young guys will get better and the older guys will remember what they were doing in the second half of 2014 that made us play well and win big games.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I fell like this year it takes a damn near perfect possession to even get points. Every time we have the ball I'm on the edge of my seat not waiting for a big play but the expected turnover or stupid penalties that kill us. While the opposing team seams to score with ease. Maybe it's just me but I feel like every time the D has someone 3rd and long it's almost guaranteed they end up converting.

I fell like this year it takes a damn near perfect possession to even get points. Every time we have the ball I'm on the edge of my seat not waiting for a big play but the expected turnover or stupid penalties that kill us. While the opposing team seams to score with ease. Maybe it's just me but I feel like every time the D has someone 3rd and long it's almost guaranteed they end up converting.
We are not gaining yards on first and second down like we have in past years. Our 3rd down efficiency is completely gone.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know this board punishes negativity
Huh? You have got to be kidding me. Over the years, I have been incredibly hard on certain individual players from time to time, when they deserved it, and what did this board ask of me? To be a moderator, that is what. Punishes negativity? Give me a break. What we punish has nothing to do with negative opinions. We ask that people show respect to others and present their opinions in a manner that is backed up by observation and allows for constructive discourse. There is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are not gaining yards on first and second down like we have in past years. Our 3rd down efficiency is completely gone.
Consistency on first and second down is a huge problem right now. I agree. There are too many negative or close to zero gain plays. It got better yesterday, but it needs to get better still.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Texas would be insane to fire Strong, IMO. He cleaned house there in a big way and it's going to take some time.
Insane?...for TEXAS to be behind 30-0 at half to TCU and end up losing 50-7 ...if you told me as a fortune teller five years ago that thus would be a reality I would have thought you were crazy...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
@Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau - not sure the "negativity" is punished so much and the way that things are presented.
Those that had insight to call for a poor season may all be correct, but there are ways to state the same without coming across as a( n) " " (folks can fill in the blank as they please).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Insane?...for TEXAS to be behind 30-0 at half to TCU and end up losing 50-7 ...if you told me as a fortune teller five years ago that thus would be a reality I would have thought you were crazy...

It is indeed insane that TX is where it is in the pecking order in that state.

However, reality is that they're in the midst of a massive house cleaning that has to happen. An added issue is, it appears, everyone surrounding the program (including some players apparently) aren't willing to allow it to properly take place.

The boosters are probably in kids ears telling them how great they are and how the coach doesn't know what he's talking about. TX has had an entitlement issue for a long time. IIRC, NFL folks have cited that as a reason there are so few Longhorns that succeed at the pro level in recent years, relative to the supposed talent they've had.

Part of me wants Strong to leave them before all the stink is pinned on him.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I tweeted something similar yesterday:

At what point do injuries become a valid excuse, particularly when we're one or two plays away from winning? I don't know the answer and am still forming an opinion. CPJ and the players aren't offering injuries as an excuse, though clearly they can't acknowledge that publicly.

There is an obvious lack of AB speed right now without Snoddy, Searcy, and T. Marshall. Throw in Cottrell if the indications are correct that he was the top true frosh AB. To overlook this drop-off, entirely due to injuries, is doing your own perspective a disservice in my opinion.

Our current AB rotation is a bunch of guys who weren't going to play meaningful minutes. Now look at yesterday's game. I counted a number of plays where I'm used to seeing guys accelerate thru a well-blocked hole on the perimeter only to see UNC's LBs and DBs get the angle in pursuit.

A few have called out the failed wheel route to Lynch - high risk, high reward no doubt. I won't give an opinion on the call because I'm still conflicted - just wish we ran on 1st down and tried that on 2nd.

The proportion of anger toward the offense seems a bit over the top relative to the other phases. Not saying they were perfect, nor was every play call in hindsight, but at least they showed clear improvement this week.

Injuries are definitely a factor. It sucks cause no one cares to hear this excuse and rightfully so. Football is a physical sport and injuries occur. Some years (last year) you avoid them and others (this year) you are bit with them.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Injuries are definitely a factor. It sucks cause no one cares to hear this excuse and rightfully so. Football is a physical sport and injuries occur. Some years (last year) you avoid them and others (this year) you are bit with them.
Lynn looked very good...the introduction of his speed could prove beneficial (it was disappointing when Willis got caught from behind)...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Re: Injuries.

Sure, no one should ever use these as an excuse. But here is a question. Has Tech EVER had a decent season when we have had a lot of injuries? In a life time of watching Tech I have never seen it. The Institute has too many institutional hurdles to ever be a program that can stock pile stud players 3 deep at every position.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Re: Injuries.

Sure, no one should ever use these as an excuse. But here is a question. Has Tech EVER had a decent season when we have had a lot of injuries? In a life time of watching Tech I have never seen it. The Institute has too many institutional hurdles to ever be a program that can stock pile stud players 3 deep at every position.
I think last year we stay pretty healthy. Smelter got hurt in the last regular season game. Zack missed a few games. For the most part our 2 deep didn't sit out due to injury if I recall correctly. Even Perkins stayed healthy, unlike his 1st 4 years here.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think last year we stay pretty healthy. Smelter got hurt in the last regular season game. Zack missed a few games. For the most part our 2 deep didn't sit out due to injury if I recall correctly. Even Perkins stayed healthy, unlike his 1st 4 years here.
Last year was a minor miracle injury-wise. One injury at a certain position group could have sent us tumbling like a house of cards.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of Perkins, this was his Tweet after seeing Snoddy was out last week...

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Just like Days must've sucked in practice... Don't know if you've played sports or how long you played, but there are some kids that are just gamers. He may be one of them.
Exactly. Billy Lotherige was a clear example. He had a guy in front of him that Dodd loved and thought would be All American QB before he finished Tech, Stan Gann, and practiced that way, while Billy looked like crap in practice. After about 3 or 4 games when we would be behind in the 4th quarter, Billy would come in and find a way to win the game for us. He became the starter ad a freshman and Dodd admitted Lotheridge played lousy in practice but was a baller. I also think we will not be as good playing Skov over Marshall. I would think PJ would have learned last year that our offense is plain vanilla with a vanilla B back, though I realize we have many other issues as well.